MD Camper Trailer

Submitted: Wednesday, Aug 10, 2011 at 19:08
ThreadID: 88394 Views:4405 Replies:5 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Gday All,

thinking seriously about biting the bullet and purchasing this Camper Trailer

the couple of archived threads that i've found here at exploreOz, Dave T's thread in particular, have some good info but i'm wondering if anyone has any feedback on the model above.

I'm in Bundy so not really an option to pop into the showroom for a look..

thanks in advance

Tommo
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Oldbaz. NSW. - Thursday, Aug 11, 2011 at 09:44

Thursday, Aug 11, 2011 at 09:44
G'day Tommo, I have no personal knowlege of this rig, but as an a fan of budget
C/ts, & after checking the website, it appears to be good value for money. Two issues
I would be concerned with are...the cover is unlikely to be water/dust proof with that
push together fasten & no overhanging flap, but could me modified at little cost....
The tent on the trailer does not clear the edge of the cover...water will run straight under the bed. Perhaps it is not shown correctly, but looks bad. Dont cop the 1.5 min
setup...car is already disconnected, legs are down, conditions are perfect, but this applies to all rigs. Suspension,tyres,hitch etc all appear good but you would be unwise
to buy without personal inspection..assembly may be ordinary. In summery, I think it
worthy of a look.cheers.....oldbaz.
AnswerID: 462314

Follow Up By: Member - Scott M (NSW) - Thursday, Aug 11, 2011 at 12:18

Thursday, Aug 11, 2011 at 12:18
Hmmm - box frame doesn't run length of trailer.... would be worried about weight at front, however it's probably ok as long as you stay on good road surfaces.

There's a difference between a $5k trailer and a $15K trailer and a $30k trailer. Usually comes down to build quality and robustness.
FollowupID: 736139

Follow Up By: Member - Scott M (NSW) - Thursday, Aug 11, 2011 at 12:20

Thursday, Aug 11, 2011 at 12:20
"Off-Road" is a very broad term.....
FollowupID: 736140

Reply By: Shaker - Thursday, Aug 11, 2011 at 20:25

Thursday, Aug 11, 2011 at 20:25
Usually a sign of fairly basic CT, when the coupling is just welded on top of the draw bar.
AnswerID: 462355

Reply By: edwin - Thursday, Aug 11, 2011 at 21:41

Thursday, Aug 11, 2011 at 21:41
hi tommo, I bought a camper off these guys december last year,it was a smaller tent than this one,I would never deal with them again,the tent was the best part and it had a few problems with the stitching,I think the machinist ran out of thread and didnt notice for a while, I had to get it fixed myself and they refunded the money,it was ok then,,,but the trailer,,,,,what a piece of cheap cr%p,I sent them about 50 photos of problems,,they said I was a whinger and to bring it back to them and they would look at it,,except I live 1300kms north of brisbane,,,,the welding was crap the paint only got put on the top,nothing underneath,there was no quality control whatsoever,I couldnt even get a jerrycan in the holder,because they put the wrong type on and on the wrong side of the gas struts.the water tank filler is level with the top of the tank and is not sealed so you leave a trail of water on every corner,I could go on and on. I ended up fixing it up myself and the whole thing pi$$ed me off so much that I sold it after that.I can highly recommend aussie jays campers, red hot campers brisbane, brisbane camper trailers , also closer to you is austrack campers in hervey bay,I did a lot of research on these and found them to be very helpful and friendly,they all sell campers from $5-6000 and sell good campers,if you check out ebay you can sometimes get them at better prices than there websites.hope this helps,if you want some pics of the trailer ,please send me a message
edwin
AnswerID: 462360

Reply By: Tommo66 - Friday, Aug 12, 2011 at 15:29

Friday, Aug 12, 2011 at 15:29
thanks to everyone that replied :)

In talking to the salesman for MDC I'm less keen on these as i was, firstly they seem reluctant to put anything regarding warranty work, after sales service etc into an email, i explained to the bloke that i work long hours (12 hour shifts) and that an email is easier for me than a rushed phone call at work but he still refused to put anything in writing which set alarm bells off.

I asked about the Kitchen, jerry can and gas bottle holders all being riveted and would it be possible to have them bolted instead before purchase but he refused saying that they don't have any control over the fabrication and that they can't perform modifications to the trailers, more alarm bells..

thanks to Edwin for his detailed response, I made a few calls to the ones reccomended and found out that there is a camping expo on in Maryborough 19th to 21st August and will be having a look at a few there.

thanks again for all the replies

Tommo
AnswerID: 462422

Reply By: Drawer Slide - Sunday, Aug 14, 2011 at 21:43

Sunday, Aug 14, 2011 at 21:43
Why dont you try an australian mfr, I think you find a reasonably comparible price. It might cost a little more but you will be doing you bit to help the entrant level camper market from completely taking over Australia.
AnswerID: 462615

Sponsored Links