Dust Proofing a Caravan

Submitted: Wednesday, Aug 17, 2011 at 17:55
ThreadID: 88516 Views:11826 Replies:7 FollowUps:11
This Thread has been Archived
I am about to purchase a Paramount Duet Pop Top Expandable Caravan and would like to know if anyone has ever installed a 12v filtered fan inside the Caravan to pressurize the inside to minimize the dust problem? If not - any other suggestions?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Notso - Wednesday, Aug 17, 2011 at 18:08

Wednesday, Aug 17, 2011 at 18:08
Never done that but have put a push up pressure hatch in the roof of a full van. It seemed to work but it would probably be a bit difficult finding a spot up high enough above the dust in a pop top.

AnswerID: 462808

Follow Up By: Poppy Kevin - Thursday, Aug 18, 2011 at 12:46

Thursday, Aug 18, 2011 at 12:46
Hi Notso replied: Thanks for your reply. I will be putting a pressure hatch in the roof of the van regardless, but from what I read, the jury is still out on its effectiveness to keep dust out. Cheers Poppy Kevin.
FollowupID: 736654

Reply By: ao767brad - Wednesday, Aug 17, 2011 at 18:09

Wednesday, Aug 17, 2011 at 18:09
We have the windsor rapid offroad model and have it fitted with a pressure hatch which is about 15-20 cm wide and pops up into the airflow over the roof when opened to pressurise the inside of the van and force air out the door vent. We did the Oonadatta track and a few thousand km dirt road without any significant dust egress. The rear bed end gets a bit in but the rapid is all sealled so it stays on the outside of the canvas until you get home to clean it anyway so no harm. Seen all sorts of additional sealing but the standard windsor foam stuck around the bed end seals seems to work fine.
How much dirt road driving do you intend to do??
AnswerID: 462809

Follow Up By: Member - Bill B1 (NSW) - Wednesday, Aug 17, 2011 at 18:25

Wednesday, Aug 17, 2011 at 18:25
Hi Brad,
I too have a Rapid. I put a sponge sealing strip around my bed end doors as the rear one did let a bit of dust in. All good now though.
Did soap and water get the dust off the canvas? I am not home yet so haven't had a good go at the dust.

Bill
Bill B

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 736606

Follow Up By: ao767brad - Thursday, Aug 18, 2011 at 08:43

Thursday, Aug 18, 2011 at 08:43
Yes, we vaccuumed as much dust from the surround as possible then the rest came off with soap and water, looks like new again. We use the same sponge or foam seal around the rear bed end.
FollowupID: 736630

Follow Up By: Poppy Kevin - Thursday, Aug 18, 2011 at 12:55

Thursday, Aug 18, 2011 at 12:55
Hi Brad,

Thanks for your reply. I will be putting a pressure hatch in the roof of the van regardless, but from what I read, the jury is still out on its effectiveness to keep dust out. We plan to stay away from the beaten track as much as possible, so I guess we'll be traveling on quiet a few unsealed roads. First up though will be the Great Central Road from Laverton to the Olgas. Cheers Poppy Kevin.
FollowupID: 736656

Reply By: dublediff - Wednesday, Aug 17, 2011 at 21:59

Wednesday, Aug 17, 2011 at 21:59
When you drag something as big as a caravan along at reasonable speeds you will create a vacuum inside the van. The causes, and there are many in most vans, are the door vent, the fridge vent, the numerous ports for cabling and piping plus all of the smaller holes in the sheeting and flooring that were missed in the factory to mention a few. The best way to avoid the dust is stay off of the dusty roads.....but that is where the best camping spots are!!! You have to create a positive air pressure inside the van, an electric fan would have to move a lot of air to create this positive pressure. The scupper vent, that is an openable vent on the roof, above the dust line, is the simplest and cheapest remedy. When you have one fitted, ensure that the cuts into the roofing sheets are fully sealed against water ingress as you would with a window fit.
AnswerID: 462842

Follow Up By: Poppy Kevin - Thursday, Aug 18, 2011 at 13:01

Thursday, Aug 18, 2011 at 13:01
Hi dublediff,

As you can see from my other replies, we will be installing a pressure hatch in the roof, but am looking for something like a fan to make the van ever more dust proof, Thanks also for your leg-up on some of the issues that cause dust to enter the van.
FollowupID: 736657

Reply By: carts - Wednesday, Aug 17, 2011 at 22:18

Wednesday, Aug 17, 2011 at 22:18
Don't know if I should call you Poppy or Kevin, I try Kevin. If you install a 12v fan to create pressure inside the van, that mean you will have air loss through the myriad of exit points, that then means you have air entry to equalise the loss. if you don't control the entry point you will have air rushing in from all sorts of places bringing dust with it. If you control the entry point with a pressure hatch on the roof you will probably find you don't need the fan. Carts
AnswerID: 462844

Follow Up By: Poppy Kevin - Thursday, Aug 18, 2011 at 13:07

Thursday, Aug 18, 2011 at 13:07
Hi Carts,

I am a Poppy but Kevin will do. Thanks for your insight into this problem. You're right, air is going to leak out somewhere, but hopefully the filtered fan idea bringing air in from outside through a filter will build up enough pressure inside to minimize the dust coming in.
FollowupID: 736658

Reply By: The Original JohnR (Vic) - Wednesday, Aug 17, 2011 at 23:22

Wednesday, Aug 17, 2011 at 23:22
I see that no one has mentioned what is commonly overlooked as a dust inhaler in caravans and that is the air conditioner fitted to the roof. Some of the Dometic ones have drain holes from the evaporator that drain water over the top of the caravan.

If you have one of those, I believe you can reduce the drain holes in volume capacity tremendously and stop the way air conditioners suck dust into the inside. I have two of the holes blocked completely and the other two blocked by about 40%

If you take care of that sort of dust ingress a decent filtered air intake can do the rest. Dometic don't seem to recognise the problem. The B1900 certainly has these drains and they just look like two corrugations down the lower part on top of your caravan. You can poke a little finger into each one from underneath.
AnswerID: 462846

Follow Up By: Poppy Kevin - Thursday, Aug 18, 2011 at 13:11

Thursday, Aug 18, 2011 at 13:11
Hi John,

We have an air con in the side of the van. Does what you say apply to this situation?
FollowupID: 736659

Follow Up By: The Original JohnR (Vic) - Thursday, Aug 18, 2011 at 16:58

Thursday, Aug 18, 2011 at 16:58
Hi PK, I just can't say with one like that. It depends where any drain holes may be. Do you know the brand and model number?
FollowupID: 736676

Reply By: Member - John and Lynne - Thursday, Aug 18, 2011 at 09:29

Thursday, Aug 18, 2011 at 09:29
We have found that a piece of foam rubber held between the door and screen door covering the bottom vent keeps a lot of dust out of that area. It doesn't block all the air so you still have a gas vent (and the gas is switched off anyway while travelling) and it keeps dust out. Our foam is about 2cm thick and we got it from an upholsterer but no doubt Clark Rubber or similar places would have a good fine foam. You can also use it to protect the space behind the fridge while travelling - we checked with our manufacturer and were told that it won't do any harm to cover the lower vent while running the fridge on 12v. You just have to remember to remove it when you stop. Lynne
AnswerID: 462854

Follow Up By: Poppy Kevin - Thursday, Aug 18, 2011 at 13:16

Thursday, Aug 18, 2011 at 13:16
Hi John & Lynne,

Thanks for these tips. Will certainly do something like you suggested. Is your fridge an absorption or condenser fridge? What make is it??
FollowupID: 736660

Follow Up By: Member - John and Lynne - Thursday, Aug 18, 2011 at 14:01

Thursday, Aug 18, 2011 at 14:01
Our fridge is a two door Dometic absorption (3 way) model. Lynne
FollowupID: 736663

Reply By: Fatso - Thursday, Aug 18, 2011 at 19:51

Thursday, Aug 18, 2011 at 19:51
G'day Poppy Kevin
I haven't personally done or seen this, but I had an interesting conversation with a bloke that fitted a heater/air con fan to his ute canopy. That's the fan from under the dash.
He started with computer type fans and quickly found the volume of air was to low.
With the heater fan he found that the dust was not only kept out but was actually blown away from around the door seals.
I have forgotten most of the conversation, but he did mention his mate had fitted 2 heater fans to something bigger to keep the dust out. Can't remember what it was now.
This bloke had one of a fibreglass canopies that you see on full size 2 door trade utes & it was mounted on a cruiser cab chassis. When we met him at Big Red he had gone East to West across the Simpson, down the Great Central, up the Canning, down the Tanami & West to East across the Simpson & had no dust in the back. So I would say from that that it might work.
I have looked at this situation for a long time & I reckon fitting a filter would be the go if not too difficult. This bloke never had a filter but travelled on his own.
Keeping the rain out would be another issue to consider as well .
Good luck & let us know how it goes in the future.
AnswerID: 462897

Follow Up By: Poppy Kevin - Friday, Aug 19, 2011 at 14:57

Friday, Aug 19, 2011 at 14:57
Thanks for the encouragement. if I get it to work I'll gladly let you know.
FollowupID: 736777

Sponsored Links