Puncture Repair Kits ?

Submitted: Sunday, Aug 21, 2011 at 10:24
ThreadID: 88598 Views:8841 Replies:11 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived

Related Pages

What is the best option for a puncture repair kit when heading to area like Birdsville.
Seem to be lots available from the cheapies to the more expensive.
How long do the sticks last, do they dry out ?

What do you use ?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - bungarra (WA) - Sunday, Aug 21, 2011 at 10:39

Sunday, Aug 21, 2011 at 10:39
Doesnt matter where you are headed if you need to repair a tyre then you will regret having a cheap repair tool when the tools dont have the strength to ream out the hole and then insert the plug.

Stay away from the "K" mart specials etc as in the few cheapo sets I have seen the tools leave a lot to be desired.........

Any reputable 4WD outlets would have the plug repair kits that will have the strength to do a decent 4Wd tyre..........remember the plugs are only a temporary repair (and yes I know we all leave them in forever subject to where they are in the tyre)....subject to the repair and where it is on the tyre you should get the proper mushroom type head plug put in when you get home (gets inserted from the inside with the tyre off the rim to do do the job.....) to replace your temporary plug

The plugs wont dry out kept in their original packaging

Also take repair patches for the tyres and a couple of tubes for those hard to seal punctures and you should always be ok

If you are not used to doing your own go down to your local tyre dealer and get a run through on how to do the job and make sure you have the tools and the know how to get a tyre on and off the rim ..and reseat the bead afterwards.

Do all that ..go prepaid and worry free and then you most likley wont get a flat !
Life is a journey, it is not how we fall down, it is how we get up.
VKS 1341

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 463144

Reply By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Sunday, Aug 21, 2011 at 11:24

Sunday, Aug 21, 2011 at 11:24
Hi Lancie

Check out my reply down below about the Birdsville Track. In all the years that we have driven the Birdsville Track we have had either luck or good fortune on our side and never had a puncture on the Birdsville Track.

A few precautions will go a long way in helping that and for me they are:

Dropping my normal tyre pressure by around 20% when on dirt tracks.
Keep you speed down and drive to the conditions.
Make sure that your tyres have more that 50% tread life in the tyres.
Slow down even more in the rocky sections.

Any repair kit is better than none. We helped out 2 vehicles only the other week about an hours drive south of Birdsville. We came across them and they were in a state, with no spare tyre to put on their vehicle, having already punctured their only spare a few hours prior. There tyres were very low in tread, but you never rub in when people are stressed like that and I said that it could have happened to anyone.

I used my under bonnet pump to re inflate the tyre, checked where the puncture was (a very small hole about the size of a nail from a sharp stone right through the middle of the tyre) plugged the hole, checked for leaks and they were on their way again.

The old Boy Scout Motto is what you do, "Be Prepared" and any kit would be better that none. I have a better quality one from ARB, with stronger tools.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 463150

Follow Up By: Bigfish - Sunday, Aug 21, 2011 at 12:19

Sunday, Aug 21, 2011 at 12:19
Good point you raise about not rubbing it into people who have "erred". Nothing worse when you need help and some smarty pants who is good enough to help you, then sticks the knife in telling you what an idiot you are. A very subltle word of advice and a positive bit of advice is enough for most people. Hopefully we learn from our mistakes and one very important fact..we are never too old to stop learning.
cheers
FollowupID: 736972

Reply By: Shaker - Sunday, Aug 21, 2011 at 11:36

Sunday, Aug 21, 2011 at 11:36
The ARB kit is hard to beat.
AnswerID: 463152

Follow Up By: River Swaggie - Saturday, Aug 27, 2011 at 14:56

Saturday, Aug 27, 2011 at 14:56
Yeah i'd agree with that....Hasn't let me Down....(sorry could help myself ,lol)
FollowupID: 737469

Reply By: Member - Phil B (WA) - Sunday, Aug 21, 2011 at 14:05

Sunday, Aug 21, 2011 at 14:05
Hi Lancie49

Whatever kit you buy make sure it has metal not plastic.

I have seen the plastic handle snap off and the metal shaft slide up and dig into the wrist fortunately only a small wound resulted but it could have been a disaster. Large veins and tendons going through the wrist.

cheers
There is a lot of difference between
‘Human Being’ and ‘Being Human’.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 463167

Reply By: Member - Justin O (QLD) - Sunday, Aug 21, 2011 at 18:27

Sunday, Aug 21, 2011 at 18:27
TyrePliers kit is money well spent too. Has two levers, bead breaker (for different size rims) and assorted repair odds and ends e.g. plugs and patches
AnswerID: 463187

Reply By: splits - Sunday, Aug 21, 2011 at 19:31

Sunday, Aug 21, 2011 at 19:31
This photo is from Beadell's web site. You are not likely to get a puncture like this on the Birdsville Track, it is more likely to be a rock through the tread, but there are countless other places in the Outback and the mountains where this type is a real possibility. Good quality temporary plugs certainly have their place but I don't like your chances of fixing this with a plug.

Read through all of the Beadell sitehttp://www.beadelltours.com.au/tyre_information.html from the tyre information to the punctures in the trip reports. It will give you a good idea of what you are up against. After that go through the puncture repair equipment on the Rema Tip Top site. http://www.rema-tiptop.com.au/portal/index.php?page_id=68313 Note the type and size of the various types of plugs and patches plus the cleaners, adhesives and sealers available.

There is so much available that you can't carry the lot but at least all of this will give you a much beter idea of what is available and in which areas you might need it.

Tip Top only have sales outlets in major cities but they have plenty of travelling reps with well equiped trucks. I have had them call at my home or you can arrange to meet them at a local tyre service or wherever. Ring them and they will tell you who their nearest rep is.

AnswerID: 463189

Follow Up By: Ruffy-Dan - Monday, Aug 22, 2011 at 07:23

Monday, Aug 22, 2011 at 07:23
That would most definitely fix up with a plug kit. I have personally put 23 plugs into a side wall tear and driven for a further 3 hours on that tyre. Not recommended practice of course but you do what you've gotta do sometimes.

as for the kits, The Ironman one has good solid tools also.

Dan
FollowupID: 737046

Reply By: lancie49 - Sunday, Aug 21, 2011 at 19:41

Sunday, Aug 21, 2011 at 19:41
Great info, thanks chaps.
I'll shoot up to ARB Kilsyth tomorra and see what they've got.
AnswerID: 463190

Reply By: get outmore - Sunday, Aug 21, 2011 at 20:29

Sunday, Aug 21, 2011 at 20:29
I wouldnt go to the expense of tyre removal gear if your running one peices

as said a good plug kit and some spare plugs, dont get thin cheap plugs

in touring sitations its pretty rare 2 spares wont see you through and if not then there is the plugs.

if you cant get a tyre holding enough air using plugs to get you to the nearest town then chances are its well stuffed anyway

you would only remove a radial tyre if its to fit gators or tubes and that would be real backs to the wall stuff you would be unlikely to come accross just touring
AnswerID: 463192

Follow Up By: lancie49 - Monday, Aug 22, 2011 at 07:56

Monday, Aug 22, 2011 at 07:56
I'll only be grabbing a plug kit , I've got all the removal stuff in the garage but I doubt I'll be taking it.
As you suggest, probably a bit of overkill for my situation ATM.
FollowupID: 737047

Reply By: RobAck - Monday, Aug 22, 2011 at 17:36

Monday, Aug 22, 2011 at 17:36
The best value tyre repair gear is available from Rema Tip Top who produce almost everything to repair tyres of all sizes. THey are in all State/Territory and supply to the tyre industry

They have a couple of plug and patch kits suitable for 4WD and can make them up to suit your tyres and needs

Regards

RobA
AnswerID: 463261

Reply By: Member - Ed C (QLD) - Monday, Aug 22, 2011 at 21:02

Monday, Aug 22, 2011 at 21:02
As far as plug kits go, there are plenty on ebay such as >>

this one here

orthis one (Buy it Now)

I have a similar kit (w/- identical tools), and I can tell you that from my experience, the tools are plenty strong enough.. They have had plenty of use w/- no issues whatsoever..

I buy all of my consumables from Rema Tip Top (arguably the world leaders in tyre repair gear), and I can detect no difference between strings purchased from RTT, and those that came with my 'el cheapo' kit..

By way of comparison, here's a ARB / Speedy Seal kit on ebay....

You can make up your own mind which you think is the better deal ;-)

:)

Confucius say.....
"He who lie underneath automobile with tool in hand,
....Not necessarily mechanic!!"

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 463287

Reply By: *Rusty* - Tuesday, Aug 23, 2011 at 20:21

Tuesday, Aug 23, 2011 at 20:21
for the sake of $50 - $70 You cant got past the ARB one. We tried one of the slightly cheaper "other brands" when we couldn't find an ARB Dealer and they just aren't the same. We bought a kit for both of our dad's as well. A cheap investment.
AnswerID: 463375

Sponsored Links