Help with making solar panels

Submitted: Tuesday, Aug 23, 2011 at 20:27
ThreadID: 88648 Views:1693 Replies:1 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
G'day guys,
I am a secondary school teacher, and, as a project, my year 12 students are designing and making solar panels for camping. They have so far made a prototype which has worked well, but now I am getting them to look at trying to make them look a bit more professional. I am hoping a few of you might have some ideas on the following:

1) Is 4mm toughened glass the best clear surface to use (or an acrylic type of sheet)??

2) The students are currently using painted 6mm marine ply to silicone (a dab in the middle) the cells to - would something like 'aqua-panel' (used in some showers) be better? Any other ideas?

3) One of the biggest problems encountered so far is getting the power from the bus bars to the back of the panel in an effective and professional looking way - are there any solderable connections specifically for this purpose - and a small junction box to silicone on the back? Any info on where I can buy these from would be fantastic!

4) Is it necessary to encapsulate the cells in anything - I have seen an epoxy kit, and a sheet one - preferences???

5) On the prototype there was a small amount of condensation appear between the cells and the clear acrylic front - how can this be avoided??

Thanks heaps for any information - it is really appreciated!!

Drew
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Redbakk (WA) - Wednesday, Aug 24, 2011 at 22:30

Wednesday, Aug 24, 2011 at 22:30
Try Google m8......type in 'how to build your own solar panels".......there is lots of info out there.
AnswerID: 463470

Sponsored Links