Tom Groggin treks into Vic

Submitted: Sunday, Nov 30, 2003 at 23:31
ThreadID: 8870 Views:1701 Replies:3 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
I'm planning to look at the area south from Tom Groggin into Vic - Davies Plain ? - preferably along the Murray R.

Was/is this area affected by the bushfires earlier this year?

Which places weren't affected and are there any 'prefered /must see' spots.Subaru Forester
"size isn't everything"
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Cobra - Sunday, Nov 30, 2003 at 23:46

Sunday, Nov 30, 2003 at 23:46
Not sure what it is like at the moment. The club is doing a trip up there next weekend so I could find out when they return. Davies Plain and Charlies Hut are good areas, we normally camp at Charlies. Not sure how you would go with water crossings in the Subi. We normally cross the Murray at Tom Groggin and follow the track in. It involves crossing the Murray which can be interesting and two creek crossings, one of which put water over the bonnet for a few seconds of the Patrol (got a little off line). There is another way in which I believe is dry but I am not sure of the route. It also involves another hut.
Cheers
AnswerID: 39002

Follow Up By: Member Colin - NSW Bungendore - Monday, Dec 01, 2003 at 00:07

Monday, Dec 01, 2003 at 00:07
Thanks for the info Cobra. I have been through the crossing at Tom Groggin, but wouldn't attempt it if the levels were too high (I do have a 'part time' snorkel which I attach for water X).
I could go to the area via Jindabyne and the Barry Way.
I've got the Boiling Billy '4WD tracks of the High Country' and there are a lot of options in there.Subaru Forester
"size isn't everything"
FollowupID: 82837

Reply By: Tony - Monday, Dec 01, 2003 at 10:17

Monday, Dec 01, 2003 at 10:17
The Huts at Swampy Plains were burnt out, but not sure if the fires came over from Vic or where they crossed over. Still some nice camp sites at Tom Groggin and Swampy Plains.

Great up on Davies High Plain, excellent camp at Charlie Creek ( but I think the hut there was burnt so the rest of the area must as well).

Another nice spot is Native Dog Creek and from there head south tp Moscow Villa,(must see) via Native Cat Track. Do it all in the Subbie no worries.
AnswerID: 39024

Reply By: keepsmilin - Tuesday, Dec 02, 2003 at 11:58

Tuesday, Dec 02, 2003 at 11:58
The fires burnt out quite a lot of the area down there, i was down there in august and it was still quite black and leafless in areas, were the snow wasnt. But alas spring has been since then, and can change things quite dramatically.
I attended a seminar in may and national parks and wildlife gave us a presentation on the fires and what had happened. A lot of it got burnt and quite a lot of huts were destroyed, they were in the process of trying to rebuild the huts, but the process they were taking will take a while. as they were trying to recycle what ever was left and construct the huts pretty much the same way they were built, as far as even sleeping under the stars, and using the native materials.
Give Kosiosco National Parks or Alpine Parks a ring they will fill you in, Im sure youll have a wonderful time.
AnswerID: 39165

Sponsored Links