We finally bought as camper!

Submitted: Sunday, Aug 28, 2011 at 15:36
ThreadID: 88736 Views:2927 Replies:5 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all,
I have 2 questions.
does anybody use or know much about some sort of canvas bag that your mattress is housed in inside your camper? Apparently you cover your bedding by zipping it up and unzipping when you get to camp. This way, your bedding stays free of dirt and dust during travel. Do you think they are necessary?
My next question is, do i need a stone deflector on my camper. It is for on road use only and I am towing it with a 1995 Commodore?
What are your thoughts.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: olcoolone - Sunday, Aug 28, 2011 at 15:44

Sunday, Aug 28, 2011 at 15:44
Your camper should be dust free and most campers the mattress stays on the bed, sounds like a a lot of work for nothing.

If your sticking to bitumen roads then a stone guard is not needed but if you are going on dirt roads then Yes you do need a stone guard on your camper unless you want a broken rear window and stone chips on the vehicle and camper.
AnswerID: 463716

Follow Up By: Macca44 - Sunday, Aug 28, 2011 at 16:31

Sunday, Aug 28, 2011 at 16:31
Gday nootsa 200873. we use a painter,s drop sheet over the mattress to keep it dry if the canvas is damp from rain or frost. you can pick them up at paint shops cheap . I think stone gaurd is a good thing to have on any sort road to protect the trailer and the back the car . Regards macca
FollowupID: 737567

Follow Up By: Member - Vince M (NSW) - Monday, Aug 29, 2011 at 14:00

Monday, Aug 29, 2011 at 14:00
my camper is fully dust & water proof (will float) but I made up vinyl covers for both mattress(4 berth) (top only) so when I pack it up, if the canvas is still wet/damp/condensation etc... it removes the chance of any wet/ damp spots caused by the canvas roof now lying on the mattress (in packed position) as its not always dry when you pack up & I think you will find most people do the same for that reason
happy travels
FollowupID: 737660

Reply By: Crackles - Sunday, Aug 28, 2011 at 16:54

Sunday, Aug 28, 2011 at 16:54
A quality camper will not let dust in but as most aren't (quality) then often it will require some sort of cover. In any case when folding up the majority of campers a plastic sheet is needed as a minimum to stop the bedding getting damp when folding up wet canvas particually with the soft floor models.
For majority road use I probably wouldn't worry about a stone deflector, just ensure you have decent mudflaps on the Commodore.
Cheers Craig..............
AnswerID: 463723

Reply By: Smiley Bill - Sunday, Aug 28, 2011 at 23:04

Sunday, Aug 28, 2011 at 23:04
Hi nootsa,

I have seen a bed bag made by Outback camper trailers of Dandenong, Victoria. It is as you describe, it is another way of keeping your bed clean and dry.

SB
AnswerID: 463761

Reply By: Member - Bucky - Monday, Aug 29, 2011 at 05:41

Monday, Aug 29, 2011 at 05:41
noosta200873

What type of camper do you have, that it is not already sealed against rain and water, when closed up ?......That is the No.1 rule.

If you are towing with a Commodore then you have limited roads that you can travel on, but that will not stop you reaching places like Innamincka, Birdsville, the Oodnadatta Track, and most places, in the dry.
You may hade some ground clearance issues, and you may be able to get a lift kit.
That will help.

A stone deflector would be of benefit if you plan to travel those roads as mentioned above.
Just do a search on the net, and you will find answers
Cheers
Bucky

AnswerID: 463764

Follow Up By: Member - Julie P (VIC) - Tuesday, Aug 30, 2011 at 08:30

Tuesday, Aug 30, 2011 at 08:30
A stone deflector is a good thing to have - not only for dirt roads - we had our rear window smashed on a made road when someone went off on the side without slowing down, showering stones everywhere.

After that we made a rear window protector - can buy them ready made from place called Obies - been talk on this site about them - do a search - or google rear window protector.
FollowupID: 737709

Follow Up By: Member - Julie P (VIC) - Tuesday, Aug 30, 2011 at 08:34

Tuesday, Aug 30, 2011 at 08:34
Meant to say about mattress protection - a lot of soft floor campers are not dustproof - we had a Dingo for about 10 years - never really had a dust problem inside. But we always put a tarp over the bed when we were closing up for travel, learnt this lesson early on after getting wet in Perth, getting to next stop and bed was saturated - lucky the sun was shining where we were, so got everything dry again. Sure taught us something. Never got a wet bed again - oh apart from the burst hot water bottle!! (his not mine)
FollowupID: 737710

Reply By: nootsa200873 - Wednesday, Aug 31, 2011 at 18:33

Wednesday, Aug 31, 2011 at 18:33
Thank you all for your excellent help with your replies. Now I have another question...If I may. Our new camper does not have a ladder? I would like your best thoughts on a bargain 2 or 3 step ladder. Needs to be over 100kg, Im a big boy....
AnswerID: 463954

Sponsored Links