Connecting Turbo Boost Gauge

Submitted: Saturday, Sep 03, 2011 at 13:24
ThreadID: 88820 Views:7124 Replies:3 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Can anyone Help me I would like to know If anyone out there KNow anything about where to connect the boost hose on a boost Gauge for a ZD30. I have it the hose coming from the Vacuum gate off the turbo is this right . any help would be great thanks 0488595861
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Burto - Saturday, Sep 03, 2011 at 16:38

Saturday, Sep 03, 2011 at 16:38
That should be right, I fitted a Tee piece in the turbo waste gate tube and connected the boost gauge to that.

If you do the same should have no problems, take it for a run and you should read boost almost immediately even under light throttle, my 2H runs 3-5 lbs at light throttle and 8 under load
AnswerID: 464122

Reply By: olcoolone - Sunday, Sep 04, 2011 at 10:44

Sunday, Sep 04, 2011 at 10:44
Only issue with picking it up of the actuator line is if you have a vacuum leak in the line to the gauge or the gauge it's self you will over boost and may cause damage with very little warning.

ZD30 are touchy with boost.

I would look at picking it up somewhere of the manifold or intercooler.

Years ago when playing with Group N rally cars we use to cut the vacuum line going to the actuator and place a small joiner in the line with a very very small hole allowing bleed off give us higher boost.
AnswerID: 464171

Follow Up By: Burto - Thursday, Sep 08, 2011 at 16:02

Thursday, Sep 08, 2011 at 16:02
This is an example of whats wrong with this site, people giving advice on subjects they know little or nothing about. What a load of clap trap.

You mean to say that if the line is used from the actuator it may leak where there is no chance of the line leaking if it is connected to the manifold or intercooler Why not ?

If the line/pipe does leak it will not have any effect on the boost why well simply because if it leaks there will be no boost. The diesel engine's mainfold is always at amospheric preesure or very close to it unlike the petrol engine which has varying vacuum values in it's intake manifold.

So if there is a hole in the boost gauge line the intake mainfold will always be held at atmospheric pressure, any attempt by the turbo to boost the intake pressure will fail as any increase in pressure will bleed direct to the atmosphere.

It should be remembered that boost pressure is a pressure above atmospheric, so if there is a leak there will be no boost.

Perhaps you should stay with your Group N rally cars and leave the advice giving to those who are qualified to give it

FollowupID: 738461

Follow Up By: Member - Jason B (NSW) - Thursday, Sep 08, 2011 at 19:19

Thursday, Sep 08, 2011 at 19:19
The other problem with this site are people like you who have to express their views in a belligerent way instead of politely stating what they believe to be the case.
FollowupID: 738484

Reply By: The Original JohnR (Vic) - Thursday, Sep 08, 2011 at 19:33

Thursday, Sep 08, 2011 at 19:33
Rod, I think the relevant question is actually do you drill a point prior to or after the inter-cooler. When I put a boost gauge in, it was prior to the intercooler, recognising that the pressure after the intercooler would be expected to be lower after the intercooler, with denser air.

Olcoolone is right that people often use an air bleed on the waste gate line. They are cheap in *Bay and provide an easy way to deceive the waste gate controller and computer. In saying that, I believe that is potentially dangerous with any ZD30, commonly called a gre^@$3.

Wherever you connect it, you want to be on the watch for any inconsistencies in boost.
AnswerID: 464509

Sponsored Links