Electronic Rust Protection

Submitted: Tuesday, Sep 06, 2011 at 18:52
ThreadID: 88873 Views:4066 Replies:9 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all
Just wondering how hard it is to fit electronic rust protection system. I fitted my own driving lights and dual battery system. Is it a similar set up electrically.
Thanks in advance
Duncan
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: snoopyone - Tuesday, Sep 06, 2011 at 19:18

Tuesday, Sep 06, 2011 at 19:18
Save your money I put one in a Commodore It still rusted and it WAS fitted correctly.

Modern cars have protection when they are painted and scraping off the protection to fit the sensors against bare metal is a backward step IMHO
AnswerID: 464378

Follow Up By: Member Andys Adventures - Tuesday, Sep 06, 2011 at 21:36

Tuesday, Sep 06, 2011 at 21:36
Hi snoopyone, If the Commodore was brand new, you would get a life time guarantee, otherwise their is no guarantee, as it will not stop the rust that is already their. Life time guarantee is only for a new car, so if it's a new car then I would put it on. And I don't know of any commodore that hasn't got rust somewhere.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 738318

Reply By: Member - Serendipity(WA) - Tuesday, Sep 06, 2011 at 19:56

Tuesday, Sep 06, 2011 at 19:56
I believe that rust occurs with a movement of electrons on the surface of metal and the electronic rust protection system is supposed to put a small reverse charge of electricity through the car. (how you can reverse a DC charge and make it different is weird thinking)

In my humble opinion I don't think rust will care which way the electrons = electricity is flowing it will just rust in that direction. In fact by putting a charge through the metal of your car you would be enhancing the flow of electrons and increasing the rusting process.

I would steer clear of this system.

Serendipity

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 464382

Reply By: Member - DingoBlue(WA) - Tuesday, Sep 06, 2011 at 20:05

Tuesday, Sep 06, 2011 at 20:05
The only way an 'electronic' vehicle rust protection system can work is to have numerous reference cells installed all over the car to measure current flow. If the flow on one of the cells is found to be excessive, then a counter current is deployed to 'neutralise' the flow. This system is commonly used in steel reinforced concrete buidings and uses a sophisticated computer monitoring system to control it. (the Sydey Opera House has this type of Cathodic Protection installed)
As you can see, it's not practical to install such a system on a car. Unfortunately the 'electronic' rust protection for vehicles is all smoke and mirrors.
Rather a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 464384

Reply By: Lex M - Tuesday, Sep 06, 2011 at 21:22

Tuesday, Sep 06, 2011 at 21:22
To answer the original question.

Not hard to fit. Mount unit. Connect to power. Stick on electrodes and wire together.
AnswerID: 464390

Reply By: 158 - Tuesday, Sep 06, 2011 at 22:58

Tuesday, Sep 06, 2011 at 22:58
Duncan

If you have fitted driving lights and duel battery electronic rust protection system will be a breeze, hardest thing is finding a place to mount the electrodes

I have a unit in my old 75 (ex miner) to slow down the rust and I would say it's working.

Cheers
AnswerID: 464398

Reply By: kidsandall - Wednesday, Sep 07, 2011 at 07:35

Wednesday, Sep 07, 2011 at 07:35
We had it on our cruiser when we did our trip around oz. We did a lot of beach driving and spent a lot of time near the ocean. When we sold it there was no sign of rust anywhere. When we put it on there was a scratch near the rear which had surface rust on it (I thought it would be a good test. When we sold the car it was no worse after 4 years, so appeared to restrict it. Would I put it on again, absolutely.

Josh
AnswerID: 464405

Reply By: Member - jay D (VIC) - Wednesday, Sep 07, 2011 at 08:08

Wednesday, Sep 07, 2011 at 08:08
Hi Duncan, as said below if you can fit lights and batteries this should be no problem for you. As stated getting access to inside panels can be the tricky bit.
I have one fitted on my HDJ78RV troopy for 12 months now.The car was in good nick and regularly polished,it now shines even more! The alloy bullbar looks brand new and the few stone chips it had that had surface rust showing are now not rusty at all, they just look like clean metal. I would fit it again to my next vehicle without hesitation.

cheers

jay
AnswerID: 464408

Reply By: Member - Rob D (NSW) - Wednesday, Sep 07, 2011 at 08:25

Wednesday, Sep 07, 2011 at 08:25
It is easy to install. If you have an HF radio, then be careful not to run the rust protection cables alongside the HF antenna coaxial cable.
My Couplertec causes HF interference when I am in a quiet electromagnetic environment such as the outback. I usually disconnect it when I call in to VKS737 or make an HF phone call.
You will not notice this interference in an urban environment because of the high level of man-made electromagnetic background interference.
If you relax at a faster pace you can get more relaxation in for a given time.
Regards Rob

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 464410

Reply By: Member - Troll 81 (QLD) - Wednesday, Sep 07, 2011 at 10:53

Wednesday, Sep 07, 2011 at 10:53
I have one in my Patrol and it didn't stop rust but I would say that is has slowed down rust. I do many beach trip and I have minumal rust comparing to mates cars that don't have the system.
AnswerID: 464422

Sponsored Links