One deep cycle battery and two fridges will it work?

I would like to put two frigdges in the tray/pod and use one battery to run both.

One fridge is a Bushman 52 ltr and the other is an Engel 40ltr. Neither use much power.

I ,,,,,no make that the wife, wants to use one fridge as a frezer and I get to use the other as a drinks fridge,

Or... do you think it would be better to have to smaller batteries, one for each fridge?

At this stage the only other pwer useage I can think of would be a light in the pod.
Other than that everything else would run of the caravans battery or mains power.

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member Al (Sunshine Coast) - Wednesday, Sep 07, 2011 at 15:48

Wednesday, Sep 07, 2011 at 15:48
Nothing wrong with running the two fridges off one battery Boo Boo.
Your only possible issue is obtaining sufficient charge for the battery to accommodate the two fridges. But having a battery for each fridge complicates the installation with little gain.

Cheers
Allan

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 464439

Follow Up By: Member - Boo Boo (NSW) - Thursday, Sep 08, 2011 at 08:31

Thursday, Sep 08, 2011 at 08:31
Thanks Al

I think one 120 amp full river or the like will do the job then.

We stay in caravan parks all the time and I can always put the freezer on 240v while we are there. This would probably solve the charging problem as it would take a load of the battery and it would charge OK with 5 to 6 hours driving each day.

FollowupID: 738435

Follow Up By: Member Al (Sunshine Coast) - Thursday, Sep 08, 2011 at 08:42

Thursday, Sep 08, 2011 at 08:42
That should be fine Boo Boo. You could even use a multi-stage charger to replenish the battery whilst you are in a caravan park with the fridges on the mains. This would ensure that the battery's health is fully and properly maintained.

Cheers
Allan

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 738438

Follow Up By: Member - Boo Boo (NSW) - Thursday, Sep 08, 2011 at 08:58

Thursday, Sep 08, 2011 at 08:58
Good thinking 99!
FollowupID: 738443

Reply By: Sir Kev & Darkie - Wednesday, Sep 07, 2011 at 16:14

Wednesday, Sep 07, 2011 at 16:14
Boo Boo,

I am about to use that exact set up, 2 x 32l Engels running off 1 x 105aH battery for the trip to Silverton.

Have a second 105aH battery under the bonnet for my other 40l Engel that is used as a drinks fridge :)

Cheers Kev
Russell Coight:
He was presented with a difficult decision: push on into the stretching deserts, or return home to his wife.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 464440

Follow Up By: Member - Boo Boo (NSW) - Thursday, Sep 08, 2011 at 08:36

Thursday, Sep 08, 2011 at 08:36
Thanks

Thanks Kev

I wish I was going to Silverton with you, but my wifes work comes first.

As I have mentioned above when I think about it one battery and 240v in the CP will not create a problem.

Sjo thats the way I'll go.

FollowupID: 738436

Reply By: Bushranger1 - Wednesday, Sep 07, 2011 at 16:44

Wednesday, Sep 07, 2011 at 16:44
G'day Boo Boo

I had 2 fridges when I went round Aussie, 1 as a freezer, 1 as a fridge. However I had 2 off 120AH deep cycle batteries in parallel to run them.

If you plonk yourself in one place for more than a couple of days then unless you get a solar panel or a generator (nooooo! I hate em) then it will just go flat. However if you only do short stays & move on you should be ok. It just depends what sort of travelling you do.

These days I just travel with one fridge & cryovac all the meat to save power instead of using 2 fridges.

Cheers
Stu
AnswerID: 464442

Follow Up By: Member - Boo Boo (NSW) - Thursday, Sep 08, 2011 at 08:40

Thursday, Sep 08, 2011 at 08:40
Thanks for the input Stu.

While reading Als' repy the penny dropped about the 240v in a CP,,,, on battery and we are in business.

FollowupID: 738437

Reply By: Member - Michael P (QLD) - Wednesday, Sep 07, 2011 at 17:02

Wednesday, Sep 07, 2011 at 17:02
Boo Boo,
On a recent trip running 40 litre engel as freezer & 25 Litre waeco as fridge on warm days high 20s at lay day the 105 AH dedicated battery (new) was struggling, had to run the motor 15/20 mins to pick it up a bit. That was sitting in back of the Pajero with plenty of packing to cut down on airflow & lots of glass to help with heating.
Mike.
AnswerID: 464446

Follow Up By: Member - Boo Boo (NSW) - Thursday, Sep 08, 2011 at 08:44

Thursday, Sep 08, 2011 at 08:44
Michael

My current set up in the troopy has a mesh cage around it to help with the heating problem you mention. I may have to put a small whirly bird on top of the pod to help with the inside temperature.

FollowupID: 738440

Reply By: Fatso - Wednesday, Sep 07, 2011 at 17:08

Wednesday, Sep 07, 2011 at 17:08
G'day BooBoo
Unless you are going to remote areas without services or have some special dietary requirements where you need to eat frozen food I wouldn't be bothered taking a freezer. as how you own a 52 litre Bushman.
If my memory serves me right those are a pretty good fridge. Just bush the power hungry Engel & buy produce along the way. It would be a lot easier.
Sometime over 15 years ago we did a 2 month trip to the Kimberleys with the kids. This was through what they now call remote areas. We started out with a heap of meat cryovacked & frozen in the bottom of the Trailblazer. Probably close to 3 or 4 weeks worth. What a waste of money & time that turned out to be.
A couple of times a week we would eat out somewhere. Then we would buy something every time we went past a butcher. Don't turn your nose up. There is one in nearly every town & the kids liked sausages. Then you would buy some seafood now & then as well.
So the long & short was that when we got home we fed a boned out leg of lamb to the dog that had travelled over 10,000 km with us to end up 500 yards from the butcher we bought it from.
The fridge, even though it kept the lamb frozen, wasn't cold enough to preserve it.
Even 2 years ago we bought very high quality meat from a butcher in Alice Springs & had it for tea the first 2 nights we were home a month later.
AnswerID: 464447

Follow Up By: Member - Boo Boo (NSW) - Thursday, Sep 08, 2011 at 08:54

Thursday, Sep 08, 2011 at 08:54
Fatso

I agree with you regarding buying from butchers along the way. In fact Halls Creek has one on the best butcher shops we have visited. His meat was excellent.

However I am a bit spoilt,,, my darling wife loves to cook and we take a lot of it with us.I also do a bit of fishing and that also goes into the freezer for a short time.

Thanks for the input fatso.
FollowupID: 738442

Sponsored Links