Warn winch

Submitted: Tuesday, Dec 02, 2003 at 08:18
ThreadID: 8902 Views:1766 Replies:3 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
G'Day all,
I was at a car boot sale on the weekend and came across an "older looking" warn winch. It looked like it had been used as a bout anchor as it had a fair bit of surface corrosion. I got him to let me "fire it up" off his car battery to see if it had any life, which it did, so I took the gamble and bought it for $400.
I've got the thing mounted in my vice at moment and after pulling it all apart, it seems to be in good nick internally. The seals have not let go and the motor and drum end have remained water-tight. The thing pulls like a train! The only identifing numbers I can make out is M or W 8000. Externally it's a mess. It will need a clean-up and paint job but I think it's been a good buy. Am hopeing to be able to fit it to the new Prado. Can anyone give me advice or info on this unit?
Regards,
Bazza.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Tony - Tuesday, Dec 02, 2003 at 08:24

Tuesday, Dec 02, 2003 at 08:24
It's a 8000lb low mount winch and in most recoveries single line pull will be ok, but be prepared to use a snatch block to save the strain on the motor that causes overheating.
AnswerID: 39147

Reply By: Member - DOZER- Tuesday, Dec 02, 2003 at 11:51

Tuesday, Dec 02, 2003 at 11:51
Baz
Is the motor on the end of the spool or above the spool off a alloy gearbox?
If later model, does it have a dog clutch or a big lever?
Andrew
wheredayathinkwer mike?
AnswerID: 39163

Follow Up By: Bazza - Tuesday, Dec 02, 2003 at 11:58

Tuesday, Dec 02, 2003 at 11:58
G'day Dozer,
First off ..... I know bugger all about winches, so please bear with me. The motor is level with the spool. Clutch lever ?... it's a small chrome lever. ( it was chrome once, not now)
Regards,
Bazza.
FollowupID: 82931

Reply By: Dennis (Brisbane) - Tuesday, Dec 02, 2003 at 14:34

Tuesday, Dec 02, 2003 at 14:34
Got a Warn 8000 myself (Rodeo dual cab), and yeah they do pull well, but a lot of heat is the trade off. As already mentioned, consider getting a snatch block. And keep the motor running when in use, they suck (your battery) faster than a King's Cross hooker.

As an aside, if you are going to be chasing a bar to suit, it mounts neatly in the ARB winch bar I have. I presume TJM and others also have a bar that will do the job.
AnswerID: 39168

Sponsored Links