92 Discovery TD good?bad?

Submitted: Friday, Mar 29, 2002 at 01:00
ThreadID: 891 Views:1927 Replies:2 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Im interested in buying a 92 Disco TD. Anyone have any advice on what to look out for? All cars have their weak points.... Its got HD rear suspension and HD clutch. The clutch being a weak point, apparently.
How does a disco stack up to say, a 92/93 TD bog-stock Hilux? They are currently around the same price in the market...Is there ANY comparison?
I hear parts are expensive, (no different to my old Suby..!), is this true?

cheers Rich

cheers
Rich
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: AC - Sunday, Mar 31, 2002 at 01:00

Sunday, Mar 31, 2002 at 01:00
I would go for a 95 or older if you have the money. They had major changes round that time and many problems were ironed out.

Andrew
AnswerID: 2567

Reply By: Alex - Tuesday, Apr 02, 2002 at 00:00

Tuesday, Apr 02, 2002 at 00:00
G'day Rich, if you're looking at getting the manual, be very wary - the earler ones had a few problems and at $14 000 for a new one its a bit steep.
the auto is OK. As has been said, anything after 95 has the newer 300tdi engine and the gearbox is a new unit that doesn't have the problems of the older one.
The main difference between the 200tdi (pre95) and the 300tdi is in the turbo and the use of a serpentine belt on the front instead of multiple v-belts. Performance is a bit better
with the 300tdi, but fuel consumption is about line-ball. As to how it stacks up against the hilux, it depends what you want ot use it for. The disco will be more comfortable on-road due to coils rather than leafs, and
if the hilux has independent front suspension, the disco will be better offroad too. If you need a ute occasionally the hilux it is, but for a comfortable wagon, go the disco. Cheers, Alex
AnswerID: 2585

Sponsored Links