tyre size regulations..

Submitted: Tuesday, Dec 02, 2003 at 19:18
ThreadID: 8914 Views:4450 Replies:3 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Good forumites....

I spoke with a QLD Transport drone today who confirmed that what I had read on their webpage is correct. You cannot legally go any bigger than 15mm DIAMETER larger than fitted standard!!!!

So my question is....

How come every second 4wd I see has 33" or bigger tyres on it. (I know some models come with 33" tyres standard etc - but what about all the cruisers, patrols, etc with 33/35's? just about every hilux is running 31x10.5 and yet this is technically illegal??

I don't particularly care about breaking such a ridiculous law but I'm damn sure my insurance company would!

Surely people aren't driving around in $40,50,60k+ vehicles without insurance???

what am I missing?

cheers,

KG
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Tuesday, Dec 02, 2003 at 20:47

Tuesday, Dec 02, 2003 at 20:47
"Surely people aren't driving around in $40,50,60k+ vehicles without insurance??? "

You would be suprised... At a guess aussie wide I would say 50% or more...

Lots of people dont realise you cant go more than 15% bigger....

You can get your car Re-engineered, and Plated for larger tires, but that also depends on what car... Talk to some of the better 4wd shops that are into Mods, and ask to talk to their Qld Transport Engineer, he will be the one to replate it and pass the car.

ANY insurance company would love to shaft people if it saved them $0.01.
AnswerID: 39214

Reply By: troy - Wednesday, Dec 03, 2003 at 11:43

Wednesday, Dec 03, 2003 at 11:43
when i was getting new rubber for my hilux some guy at ? good year said that 31x10.5 rubber was actually illegal - as u pointed out. If insurance companies want to be difficult then they could quite legally refuse to pay a claim (whether it is your fault or not).
I actually bought the 4wd with the big rubber on it. Ended up with the 30x9.5 rubber - not just because of the legality side of things
AnswerID: 39275

Follow Up By: Coops (Pilbara) - Wednesday, Dec 03, 2003 at 22:59

Wednesday, Dec 03, 2003 at 22:59
I think they need to prove that the oversized tyres were the actual contributor to the claim beforehandAllyn
Some days we are the flies; some days we are the windscreen.
FollowupID: 257075

Follow Up By: troy - Thursday, Dec 04, 2003 at 09:25

Thursday, Dec 04, 2003 at 09:25
Coops
if the tyre size is considered illegal by the good people at the transport department then the insurance companies can actually use that fact as a 'loophole' for non payment.
Problem is no transport department (or police) that i know of enforce these 'rules'.
If and when they do alot of people are going to be very upset facing the fact that they have to buy new rubber +/- rims for their pride and joy. Let alone the risk of making a donation to that department.
FollowupID: 257106

Reply By: tex1972 - Wednesday, Dec 03, 2003 at 20:58

Wednesday, Dec 03, 2003 at 20:58
the RTA just sent out the last inspectors bulletins and they were on tyre/wheel changes and light covers you should be able to find tem on the RTA website just search for inspectors bulletins.http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/registration/downloads/vehicinspe_dl1.html corrections its under standards info http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/registration/downloads/vehicinfor_dl1.html
AnswerID: 39335

Sponsored Links