Doing a trip on "free" fuel

Submitted: Tuesday, Dec 02, 2003 at 20:17
ThreadID: 8915 Views:1475 Replies:5 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Hi Guys,
Was talking to a guy the other day who towed his van to Queensland with no out of pocket expenses for fuel.
Fuel is one of the biggest expenses when travelling so this guy offsets this cost by building up points on his credit card well before any big trip.
It is a "true rewards"card which earns points according to monies spent and vouchers can be obtained with (i think Mobil)by exchanging these points before any big trip.The cost of living is now high and the card if used smart can be used to pay many household and business expenses and points can be accrued sometimes quickly.Some people earn flights but if you want to get off the beaten track diesel is the go.
Does anybody else earn rewards for fuel in this way?
Melissa from an accountants point of view is the use of credit cards to earn these type of credits viable?
cheers mark
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: MA_VIC - Wednesday, Dec 03, 2003 at 00:18

Wednesday, Dec 03, 2003 at 00:18
I doubt you could do it unless you're going on a very short trip or spend a HUGE amount on the card. (In which case you wouldn't need the free fuel!)
AnswerID: 39240

Follow Up By: Member - Bruce (San Diego) - Wednesday, Dec 03, 2003 at 02:48

Wednesday, Dec 03, 2003 at 02:48
We use the American Express rewards program and find it usefull for one purpose only, Qantas is a partner in the program and offers a companion fare to Oz for $400.00 for 20,000 points which at the present time with fares at $1,400 saves us $1,000 per trip for the two of us.

I read an article in SMH a couple of weeks ago that the Qantas Rewards card was not worth it.

in the USA Cash Rewards used for merchandise within the country is also taxable income.

Bruce
FollowupID: 238457

Reply By: Willem - Wednesday, Dec 03, 2003 at 07:58

Wednesday, Dec 03, 2003 at 07:58
If you are clearing your credit card purchases every month then your scheme is advantageous. If not, then you are paying mega interest and it will not be worth it.

These rewards schemes are only set up to make you buy more STUFF which most of the time you hardly need.

Twelve months ago we stood in both our banks and cut up the credit cards after finalising them. Best thing we ever did.

Cheers,
Willem

Always going somewhere
AnswerID: 39253

Reply By: PatC - Wednesday, Dec 03, 2003 at 10:46

Wednesday, Dec 03, 2003 at 10:46
We pay for everything we can on our credit card and the pay the total amount EVERY month. (You need one with the 55 day interest free period) We clock up about $500.00 worth of freebees a year. Can't get fuel though. :-(
AnswerID: 39270

Follow Up By: Rob H - Wednesday, Dec 03, 2003 at 22:00

Wednesday, Dec 03, 2003 at 22:00
We do the same and managed to get vouchers for $400 for Bob Jane T-mart, so that paid for most of 2 new Sumitomo Serengeti tyres.
FollowupID: 257070

Reply By: Moose - Wednesday, Dec 03, 2003 at 14:34

Wednesday, Dec 03, 2003 at 14:34
You don't say where he towed from - might have been from northern NSW! Unless he spent mega $ on the card he wouldn't have bought too much fuel. If you were going to spend the money anyway then certainly use a card to get the free benefits. But as others have said you must pay it off on time otherwise the interest will easily wipe out the value of the freebies.
AnswerID: 39292

Follow Up By: marcus - Wednesday, Dec 03, 2003 at 16:55

Wednesday, Dec 03, 2003 at 16:55
He towed from melb-townsville and return.I am in small business and with a home (rates,insurance etc) several vehicles (rego,insurance and maintenance)investment properties then things like dining out and phone,gas and electric bills for home can all be paid by credit card.I use a G.M card from holden which entitles me to a $3000 discount on my next holden from credits earned.Don't need a new holden for a while so would rather get into a more practical scheme where expenditure can be turned into a positive.The use of cards i might add needs to be highly disciplined because in the wrong hands the high interest can bring many people undone.I am suire the banks know this and on average of a thousand customers a high percentage will stuff up(thus their high profit margins).In short what i am saying is if you are incurring high costs,turn them into a positive as this fellow did.If you don"t have a reliable cash flow and can"t pay on time then don't use a card.I am just a plumber but the system works for me no problems.
cheers mark
FollowupID: 257042

Reply By: ross - Thursday, Dec 04, 2003 at 09:44

Thursday, Dec 04, 2003 at 09:44
No such thing as a free lunch ,it just gets tacked on somewhere else.
AnswerID: 39383

Sponsored Links