Registration Labels

Submitted: Friday, Sep 23, 2011 at 16:31
ThreadID: 89187 Views:2930 Replies:11 FollowUps:22
This Thread has been Archived
I heard a story last night that a South Australian motorist was fined in Victoria last weekend for not displaying a current Rego sticker. For those that don't know SA has dispensed with the need for rego stickers. Has anyone else heard of this happening and what the implications might be in other states?

Cheers

Mark
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Motherhen - Friday, Sep 23, 2011 at 16:42

Friday, Sep 23, 2011 at 16:42
Hi Mark

If, like in WA, rego stickers are no longer being used, there can be no fine for not having what doesn't exist and isn't required. The fine was probably for not removing the old one. It was and still is (in WA anyway) an offence to display an out of date sticker so probably is in the others states too. I thought Victoria was seeing the light and phasing out stickers also. Another possibility was that he had been resident in Victoria for more than three months (rather than touring from a home base in SA), and had failed to change rego to his state of residence.

When we travelled in 2009, it had been announced that the changes would take place as at 1 January 2010. Our van rego expired in August, so i used to pay it in May, get the sticker and head off. In 2009 i was unable to get a sticker when i paid, and licencing gave the answer that they might not even print any as they were being phased out. They advised us to carry our licence papers with us to show should we be stopped in the other states which all required stickers. We travelled through NT, Qld, NSW, Vic and SA without incident.

Motherhen

Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 465810

Follow Up By: glids - Friday, Sep 23, 2011 at 17:16

Friday, Sep 23, 2011 at 17:16
Motherhen may have meant to carry your 'registration papers' rather than 'licence papers'.

I would not recommend carrying your rego papers in the vehicle - if it is stolen, the papers could be enough 'proof of ownership' for the thief to sell your car.

You would hope that other states would be aware of the situation that rego stickers are not being issued, but if you are concerned, maybe carry a black and white photocopy of the rego papers/receipt - it should be enough for the cops, but not enough to sell the vehicle.

Personally, I think stickers should still be issued and displayed on all vehicles.

glids
FollowupID: 739836

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Friday, Sep 23, 2011 at 18:52

Friday, Sep 23, 2011 at 18:52
Hi glids

I totally agree with your warning on not carrying the papers in the vehicle and have always advised others the same.

States can access a linked database to all other state regos, so they are moving towards a bit of unity - even though some state departments think their counterpart in other states are hostile enemies.

I think doing away with stickers is one of the more civilised moves and good progress. Stickers prove nothing, are a cost to us (ultimately, as cost is passed on), a nuisance to get, put on and remove. I used to have a drawer full of unused stickers - sent out for the on farm quad bike, tractor etc. A simple check on the rego tells a more accurate story. Roll on the progress as other states follow WA's initiative.

Mh
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 739847

Follow Up By: Member - DingoBlue(WA) - Friday, Sep 23, 2011 at 19:37

Friday, Sep 23, 2011 at 19:37
Agree MH,
I lobbied for many years to have the rego stickers dispensed with as they were an unnecessary cost to print and distribute. With the advent of modern communications, the Police are able to check license, registration etc. in seconds. The sticker then became superfluous.
I am prepared to take full credit for the demise of stickers in WA and will gladly accept all donations. Please make all payment out to 'cash'!
Rather a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 739850

Follow Up By: fisho64 - Friday, Sep 23, 2011 at 21:38

Friday, Sep 23, 2011 at 21:38
really, Id expect the cost of the sticker to be in the cents rather than dollars. In amongst $600 odd for rego, you WONT even notice the difference.

And the big problems are, firstly forgetting to renew and secondly vehicles that are used by many people-employees rentals etc.
Sure its great that you can jump online and check quickly-great if you have access immediately and time to check up on it.

On top of that when you check up online, they dont even guarantee the info is accurate-WTF?
FollowupID: 739867

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Friday, Sep 23, 2011 at 22:56

Friday, Sep 23, 2011 at 22:56
Printing is just the start. Staff to handle the distribution, postage for us who pay on line, or staffing the local offices who hand out stickers. I don't recall the cost saving amount when it was announced - but it was a significant sum.

Who pays because the sticker reminds them? We pay when we get the bill (or look it up on line when travelling). So would companies work that way - not by going and checking the stickers to see when due. When i worked for a community organisation i rarely drove or looked closely at any of the cars but i always paid the regos on time.

The information on line is as accurate as you will get from their office anyway. I've never found fault with it.

Mh
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 739873

Follow Up By: Member - Dunworkin (WA) - Friday, Sep 23, 2011 at 23:34

Friday, Sep 23, 2011 at 23:34
Hi Motherhen, I know what you are saying about waiting for the bill to come in and that is fine for those of us who are at the same address year after year, but many people move from year to year, renters come to mind very quickly, their bills may not get forwarded onto them, time slips away and before they know it the rego is expired. I know it's up to them to keep a check but.....

Cheers

D

Simba, our much missed baby.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 739877

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Friday, Sep 23, 2011 at 23:45

Friday, Sep 23, 2011 at 23:45
Hi Deana

It is up to people to take some responsibility for changing their address (a legal requirement for Rego and Driver's Licence). They should know which month their rego is due, for budgeting if nothing else, and if the reminder doesn't reach them, look it up on line or ask at nearest licensing centre if they are pre electronic age. Most people these days have fancy electronic gizmos they could put a reminder into.

Our son recently overlooked renewing a rego after he had moved house and the bill never reached him. Nasty little fine. A sticker wouldn't have made any difference.

Mh
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 739878

Follow Up By: Member - DingoBlue(WA) - Saturday, Sep 24, 2011 at 00:10

Saturday, Sep 24, 2011 at 00:10
Hey MH,
I think Fisho et al are having a lend. Can you imagine them walking around with 'post it' notes stuck all over them to remind them when bills are due to be paid!

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 739880

Follow Up By: Member - Dunworkin (WA) - Saturday, Sep 24, 2011 at 00:11

Saturday, Sep 24, 2011 at 00:11
I agree with you 100% Motherhen but I do know of people that it has happened to already and yes a nasty little fine, also I believe that the revenue raised from fines for unregistered vehicles since the stickers have been cancelled has jumped dramatically. We use to keep track of the sticker on our vehicles, obviously a lot of people didn't LOL.

Hope all is well with you guys, Haven't noticed any trips that you've done this year???? any plans?????

Simba, our much missed baby.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 739881

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Saturday, Sep 24, 2011 at 00:25

Saturday, Sep 24, 2011 at 00:25
Hi Deanna

I understand the reason for the increase, is increased recognition of unregistered vehicles now police cars can check licence plates instantly for registration, rather than forgetful people.

Not travelling - life it hard in the farming world.

Hi Dingo - I got a good laugh at your analogy; lovely :)

Mh
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 739883

Follow Up By: fisho64 - Saturday, Sep 24, 2011 at 01:12

Saturday, Sep 24, 2011 at 01:12
Dingo-no not having a lend.

In a company its the accountant that recieves the bill, but the apprentice or other worker who gets the fine.
So who gets punished for overlooking it?
The young P plate apprentice/new guy who dares not question his new boss and refuse to drive til he can use the computer?

Yes I overlook bills sometimes-I work away at sea for up to 5 weeks at a time. Its easy to glance at the sticker.
The sum saved you are talking about will have been spruiked as a total over the whole of a state, sounds like a lot just as it is if you put a buck in a jar every day.

Motherhen-distribution? Im sure you dont really think the DPI/RTA has a person putting each sticker in an envelope and licking it shut then taking it down to the postbox?

So how much did the rego come down in WA when the stickers were stopped? And how much did it go up the next year?
I dont know the answer to that but am willing to bet that if there was any saving it was gone in 12 months?
FollowupID: 739884

Follow Up By: Member - DingoBlue(WA) - Saturday, Sep 24, 2011 at 10:57

Saturday, Sep 24, 2011 at 10:57
Hi Fisho,
Your comment about the poor scared apprentice who can't use a computer or telephone (as information on rego is available by this means also) is a little dramatic. I've managed many companies over the years and if through some glitch in the system, a vehicle has not been registered and was being driven by someone who was unaware of the fact, then the company would pick up all costs associated with any penalty occcuring. In addition, the courts would not impose a penalty on the 'apprentice' if he could show he was unaware of the problem and not responsible for the oversight. I probably have been responsible (indirectly) for well over a thousand vehicles and have never had an issue with non payment of registration
The fine in WA is $100.00, no demerits and no loss of license.
You're correct about the 'savings' being passed on. In SA the figure was $5.6m and WA would have been greater however there was no immediate, obvious benefit to motorists.
The savings would benefit the Sate's consolidated revenue which in turn benefits each resident of the State. We don't always see an immediate tangible result from any savings measure implemented but do realise the benefit overall.
Sorry about the "post its' but the image that came to mind was hilarious!

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 739914

Follow Up By: fisho64 - Saturday, Sep 24, 2011 at 11:10

Saturday, Sep 24, 2011 at 11:10
No offence taken:-)

However the penalty/consequence is far greater than $100, there is no CTP insurance cover. This alone will easily have life changing consequences if the result is an accident rather than a fine.
Hardly worth a few cents saving? Perhaps an excellent compromise would be for all business/commercial registered vehicles to carry a sticker, not for the cops benefit but the operators?
FollowupID: 739918

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Saturday, Sep 24, 2011 at 12:25

Saturday, Sep 24, 2011 at 12:25
Hi Fisho

You make a valid warning about lack of third party insurance with unlicensed vehicles (after 15 days grace period), however this has nothing to do with stickers. I can assure you that the Company Accountant is not running around looking for stickers on the cars in the fleet when ensuring rego (and all other Company bills) are paid on time. Stickers are of no benefit to vehicle owners or drivers. Dispensing with them was a smart move forward in this computerised society of today.

Mh
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 739929

Follow Up By: fisho64 - Saturday, Sep 24, 2011 at 15:55

Saturday, Sep 24, 2011 at 15:55
of course it has to do with stickers? for the benefit of the driver?
Lets look at it another way then if we are to-ing and fro-ing over a few cents.
No stickers saves what-$3 maybe in SA maybe?

How many phonecalls to check rego is that for a multi-driver car? 10 maybe if its a landline, 3 maybe or less for a mobile.
Perhaps if it was set up so you could just text the rego and get a reply immediately it would be better BUT they (I believe) dont do that as you'd have proof if their info was incorrect.

Cost shifting is I think the correct term.
As with your home rates and a "rubbish levy" or "fire levy" is introduced. It was already covered but you get nothing back for it.
FollowupID: 739939

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Saturday, Sep 24, 2011 at 16:04

Saturday, Sep 24, 2011 at 16:04
Hi Fisho

I agree with you about 'cost shifting' - a very polite way of putting it; cost goes down for them but never for us). I cannot agree with you about the rest. Successful business in not that inefficient, nor are most individual owners. Stickers have nothing to do with reminding the owner when to pay, and are now outdated by modern communications as a way of those in authority telling (rather hazarding a guess due to possible fraud) as to whether a vehicle has current paid up registration.

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 739942

Follow Up By: Member - DingoBlue(WA) - Saturday, Sep 24, 2011 at 20:19

Saturday, Sep 24, 2011 at 20:19
Hi Mh,
have been unable to respond.. seems to be frozen.
MM your email if you don't mind. I can receive.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 739967

Reply By: Tim - Friday, Sep 23, 2011 at 16:46

Friday, Sep 23, 2011 at 16:46
Two things....
Probably an expired label and... how can I put it....... attitude?
Tim
AnswerID: 465812

Follow Up By: Echucan Bob - Saturday, Sep 24, 2011 at 00:20

Saturday, Sep 24, 2011 at 00:20
Tim

I assume you mean the attitude of the offending police officer, which sadly, in my experience, can be extremely variable.
FollowupID: 739882

Reply By: Mick O - Friday, Sep 23, 2011 at 17:19

Friday, Sep 23, 2011 at 17:19
Hi Mark,

always a bit dubious about anecdotal information. Do you actually know the person involved or is this a friend of a friend who heard it from etc etc?

The laws in one state are recognised in another, Victoria for example. If there is no need for a rego sticker in South Austalia, then the driver of that vehicle commits no offence in Victoria by not having one (as long as his vehicle is registered). I know the traffic blokes can be a bit , how do I put this nicely, "zealous" at times in pursuit of evil doers but I'd reckon it's a bit rich. As stated above, he could have got a hamburger with the lot for being a bit smart or he could be simply telling porkies and actually got one for something else like failing to have current registration on his vehicle.

Cheers Mick
''We knew from the experience of well-known travelers that the
trip would doubtless be attended with much hardship.''
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 465814

Reply By: NTVRX - Friday, Sep 23, 2011 at 19:01

Friday, Sep 23, 2011 at 19:01
G/day MP. The old "I heard a story trick" You cannot be fined for what is not an offence....unless the Vic Cop was unaware that labels are no longer issued in Sth Aust. A letter to the Civic Compliance stating "The facts" will or should have the matter w/drawn.
AnswerID: 465823

Reply By: Member - Vern - Friday, Sep 23, 2011 at 20:55

Friday, Sep 23, 2011 at 20:55
I have heard on a SA radio station during the week that one person being fined $200 for NOT displaying a rego sticker and refused entry into the Phillip Island race way camp ground.
AnswerID: 465833

Follow Up By: MP - Friday, Sep 23, 2011 at 21:28

Friday, Sep 23, 2011 at 21:28
That's the one
FollowupID: 739864

Reply By: Member - Kingsley N (SA) - Friday, Sep 23, 2011 at 21:50

Friday, Sep 23, 2011 at 21:50
The new SA Rego papers have a small tearoff slip to indicate that the vehicle is registered. The sheet of instructions suggests that the motorist should carry the slip in the glovebox when travelling interstate. There is nothing on the slip that would allow fraudulent use by a thief.

SA police speed cameras at various intersections can read your numberplate and check it against the registry. An automatic notice is generated if you are out of date and the fine is quite high (up to $500 or more) for driving an unregistered vehicle.

My guess is that the system will become Australia wide when the slower eastern states catch up!

Kingo
AnswerID: 465835

Follow Up By: snapper49 - Friday, Sep 23, 2011 at 22:58

Friday, Sep 23, 2011 at 22:58
I just registered my trailer online and dint get anything to prove I have registered it
You can however go online and enter your rego number and it will tell you your registration status
FollowupID: 739874

Follow Up By: Member - Kingsley N (SA) - Saturday, Sep 24, 2011 at 07:16

Saturday, Sep 24, 2011 at 07:16
Snapper,

My car renewal "Registration Details Certificate" came preprinted and completed in three sections. The bottom bit tears off. The top two bits are to be kept in "a safe place". If you renew on line you are supposed to print your own receipt and attach it to the "Registration Details Certificate". Previously the sticker formed part of the actual Registration certificate and you removed it.

Perhaps trailers are different.

Kingo
FollowupID: 739890

Follow Up By: garrycol - Saturday, Sep 24, 2011 at 13:09

Saturday, Sep 24, 2011 at 13:09
In the ACT we get a little tear off slip at the bottom of the rego document - you tear it off and put it on the window - it is the rego label.
FollowupID: 739930

Reply By: Member - blackbird1937 - Saturday, Sep 24, 2011 at 06:30

Saturday, Sep 24, 2011 at 06:30
Some police are over the top .Thirty-five years ago a fellow I knew who had a SA rego pulled up at Nhill Vic bought an icecream was driving down the road eating it was pulled up and given a bluey .
AnswerID: 465860

Reply By: Ray - Saturday, Sep 24, 2011 at 08:47

Saturday, Sep 24, 2011 at 08:47
I like the system. I pay by B-pay. I print our a receipt for my money. The only criticism I have is that the renewal notice has a different B-pay number on each renewal.
AnswerID: 465869

Reply By: ozjohn0 - Saturday, Sep 24, 2011 at 10:49

Saturday, Sep 24, 2011 at 10:49
Never let the facts get in the way of a good story.
OJ
AnswerID: 465885

Reply By: tonysmc - Saturday, Sep 24, 2011 at 11:06

Saturday, Sep 24, 2011 at 11:06
I think the NT rego stickers for trailers should be adopted for all vehicles. It is a small sticker that goes on the rear number plate that has Year/Date. The sticker doesn’t fall off and you can stick your new straight on top of the old one if you are too lazy to peel it off first. Any cop sitting behind you can easily see if your car is registered without having to look up a database for every car they see. Although there is a new camera system just introduced that automatically reads numberplates and flags it, if it is a car of interest, however it doesn’t flag unregistered.
After being hit by an unregistered and therefore uninsured driver, I find whenever walking around that I tend to notice rego stickers and it is amazing the amount of cars with out of date stickers. Maybe something more easily identified would be of benefit.

Cheers Tony.
AnswerID: 465888

Reply By: wafarmer - Sunday, Sep 25, 2011 at 04:05

Sunday, Sep 25, 2011 at 04:05
What a good idea do away with all reminders receipts, invoices statements etc increase all the "nasty" little fines to really big ones and with all the money
'saved" and massive increase in revenue from the criminals out there we will be able to have a wonderful increase in our standard of living as our benevolent government agencies lavish this largess upon us ha ha ha ........ it was done to raise revenue not save money ............... why wouldn't you look at the rego sticker to see if it was current nah too easy ???? hmmmm.
wafarmer
AnswerID: 465965

Sponsored Links