Prado LPG conversions

Submitted: Saturday, Mar 30, 2002 at 01:00
ThreadID: 892 Views:3117 Replies:3 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
I have been considering an LPG conversion for my Prado V6. Im just wondering what sort of fuel range and any reliability factors if any . I plan on keeping the vehicle for some time.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Rodger Tremlett - Sunday, Mar 31, 2002 at 01:00

Sunday, Mar 31, 2002 at 01:00
Matt, if you intend to travel in remote area's DON'T DO IT. Also, make sure it is done correctly AND the conversion installer will give you a warranty not only on the work but on the engine as well. A recent case I heard about an installer who did work for the 4WD dealers but the user who had it fitted but NOT through the dealer had problems with burnt out valves etc and neither the dealer nor the fitter would accecept responsibility and left the owner with a BIG bill. The user saved about $600 by passing the dealer but it cost himself $2000 in repairs. So be warned.
AnswerID: 2565

Follow Up By: Charl Makssi - Monday, Apr 01, 2002 at 00:00

Monday, Apr 01, 2002 at 00:00
right on the money rodger, my brother had a case when he converted his new V6 jackeroo to gas, just so happend that a small screw came loose off the gas mixer and went down into one of the cylinders at high speed end result was $7000 (not including labour ) damage to engine. to cut the story short the dealer replaced the busted mill with a brand new short motor and head and my brother went back to a fuel only system.
FollowupID: 959

Reply By: Norm- Thursday, Apr 04, 2002 at 00:00

Thursday, Apr 04, 2002 at 00:00
Think very carefully. I have an auto workshop and am kept very busy doing repairs to gas powered vehicles suffering from valve seat recession. A condition where the high temperature of the valve seat causes it to embed itself into the head. Consequently, valve clearances then decrease and the valves "ride" resulting in them burning out. A fairly expensive repair I would say on a high tech arrangement such as a Prado. By the way I also have a V6 Prado.
AnswerID: 2630

Reply By: Bill - Friday, Apr 26, 2002 at 00:00

Friday, Apr 26, 2002 at 00:00
Matt I agree with all that has been said so far. LPG is not available everywhere in the outback and this can cause difficulty if range is important. Also do your sums as gas is not as cheap as it used to be and it may take a long time to recover your initial costs. For fuel range, reliability and operating costs diesel is the way to go in a Prado and it's only initially $1500 dearer than petrol. You would reasonably expect about 1500km without refuelling and half a million kms without engine problems - both of which are a much better prospect than gas will offer you. I think gas is best suited to city taxis, couriers etc.
AnswerID: 3153

Sponsored Links