Southern Cross tents

Submitted: Tuesday, Dec 02, 2003 at 21:10
ThreadID: 8920 Views:2746 Replies:7 FollowUps:8
This Thread has been Archived
I bought a SC centre pole some years ago. I followed the instructions and watered it diligently. Next heavy rain it leaked. Took it back. They were "amazed" and puzzled and couldn't tell me why it leaked. They had it for a couple of weeks and next heavy rain I was in, it leaked again. They assured me this was unheard of so I sealed it myself and now it doesn't leak. Apart from the leaks I liked the tent. Mate bought one a while ago after looking at mine and I assured him that although mine leaked it had never happened before and I must have been unlucky.
He put it up, watered it and then a downpour and ........ it leaked!!! Boy oh boy my mate and I must be the two unluckiest blokes around. I'll show him how to seal it properly .... but should we have to do this. Shouldn't a tent that costs around $800 be ready to use in all weathers?
Any other folks have this "amazing" thing happen to them?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Nick (TAS) - Tuesday, Dec 02, 2003 at 21:30

Tuesday, Dec 02, 2003 at 21:30
We bought a Lightning Extended centre pole canvas tent and did as you said,wet it down and let it dry(did this about four times).While camping at Cape Tribulation it poured with rain alnight and wouldnt you know it not one drop of water got in, you must have been unlucky.
AnswerID: 39224

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Tuesday, Dec 02, 2003 at 21:36

Tuesday, Dec 02, 2003 at 21:36
At least you got instructions... We didnt, and went to Robe without having wet it or even taken it out of the bag.....

So, how do you waterproof it properly.. We soaked the snot out of it when we got back, but yea it got wet inside...

This weekend could be telling..
AnswerID: 39225

Reply By: macca - Tuesday, Dec 02, 2003 at 21:43

Tuesday, Dec 02, 2003 at 21:43
We have had our SC for over 2 years now and we received instructions on how to waterproof canvas.We followed these instructions wetting it thoroughly for 4 or 5 times..and I mean wetting it! Army training come in handy too as it was common knowledge how to waterproof canvass. Had ours out in all sorts of weather and hasn't let us down once.
AnswerID: 39227

Follow Up By: Chris (W.A.) - Wednesday, Dec 03, 2003 at 06:32

Wednesday, Dec 03, 2003 at 06:32
Sorry for intrusion but you're not Mc NEVIN are you?

If not, apologies, but long live the Oztent.

What's canvas
My training in the army was a hootchie and no fancy tent, you must be support or an officer. True army - grunts, (foot soldiers)(warriors).
I learnt how to waterproof canvas at "Ranger Camping" when i was 15!!
Long live the 11/28th!!

Nice southerly coastal fishing trip someday.
Chris
FollowupID: 238460

Follow Up By: macca - Wednesday, Dec 03, 2003 at 08:55

Wednesday, Dec 03, 2003 at 08:55
Chris, Sorry not McNevin
and just to fill you in I was a grunt for 20 years in the army so be careful what you say. yes a hootchie was what we had 90% of the time but you have to admit if you kept your eyes open you would have seen many 11x11 's around and dont tell me you never got sent out on a work party putting up tents for various civil actions ,or whatever. If not must have been a lucky boy. PS. This is all said with toungue in cheek with no malice intended.(I add that as a result of the trend of some replies on the forum of late)
FollowupID: 238469

Follow Up By: Mick - Wednesday, Dec 03, 2003 at 20:43

Wednesday, Dec 03, 2003 at 20:43
Macca, my main point is that the purchaser should not have to waterproof the tent as both you and I did! If I buy a waterproof jacket I don't expect to have to waterproof it - same for a tent.
FollowupID: 257058

Follow Up By: Chris (W.A.) - Thursday, Dec 04, 2003 at 01:05

Thursday, Dec 04, 2003 at 01:05
I'm having a dig at ya,
I was only in for 8 yrs - never set up one - saw plenty. Must be lucky.Nice southerly coastal fishing trip someday.
Chris
FollowupID: 257081

Reply By: Member - Jack - Wednesday, Dec 03, 2003 at 06:25

Wednesday, Dec 03, 2003 at 06:25
I bought a Tanami Tourere (as a factory second) ... a terrific, airy, roomy tent.
They said it was *not* guaranteed waterproof, but provided a stick of wax and instructions to wet it down.
Did that, waxing the seams, and soaking it and letting it dry ... and it still leaks. It is only a minor leak ... but tracing where it is coming from is proving to be difficult.
This is not a drama as I bought it with that understanding, but am prepared to put in the work to completely seal it, but am unsure on how to do that.
Any suggestions?
JackNo trees were harmed in the making or sending of this message.
However a great number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
AnswerID: 39248

Follow Up By: Bazza - Wednesday, Dec 03, 2003 at 09:41

Wednesday, Dec 03, 2003 at 09:41
G'day Jack,
A few years ago my old Cub Campertrailer developed a leak which was very difficult to locate, and may have been coming from a number of locations. I finally got the dirts with it leaking and spoke with a friend of mine who worked for 3M products at that time. He got hold of a few large pressure cans of Scotchguard which I used on the canvas, paying particular attention to the stitched seams. I worked perfectly ... never leaked again. Not sure if this is the recommended procedure, but it worked for me.
Regards,
Bazza.
FollowupID: 238472

Reply By: flappan - Wednesday, Dec 03, 2003 at 10:09

Wednesday, Dec 03, 2003 at 10:09
Haaahhhaahahhahahhhaahahhaahhaaaaaa

Oh man thats a goodie . . .

Oh yeah . . . I'm not laughing at you . . . I'm with you.

I know how it feels.

I have just bought a brand new $7000 campertrailer . . . . that leaks.

Admitidly thats MY fault. I was SO keen to use it . . . never got around to "conditioning" the Canvas . . . HOW bad could it be . . . . . ummmm . . . very.

Wife has threatened Divorce, because EVERYTHING got wet. Absolutely NO more camping . . . and wants to sell the trailer . . .

Moral is . . . make sure you condition the Canvas . . .
AnswerID: 39263

Follow Up By: Member - Des Lexik(SA) - Wednesday, Dec 03, 2003 at 15:18

Wednesday, Dec 03, 2003 at 15:18
G'day Flappan, Tough timers ahead eh.
Are you really going to keep the trailer and get divorced.
Tough choice. At least the camper shouldn't give you much more grief.
LOLne cede malis
FollowupID: 257030

Follow Up By: flappan - Wednesday, Dec 03, 2003 at 15:56

Wednesday, Dec 03, 2003 at 15:56
Nah . . . its not a tough choice . . .

The wife has to go ; D
FollowupID: 257034

Reply By: macca - Wednesday, Dec 03, 2003 at 21:59

Wednesday, Dec 03, 2003 at 21:59
When you look at that way Mick, thats fair comment..Then I suppose the cost's will go up for there time and water useage and and and.. so they get you in the end dont they. Just the same I reckon they have a great product albeit bloody expensive (imho)
AnswerID: 39347

Follow Up By: Mick - Thursday, Dec 04, 2003 at 19:33

Thursday, Dec 04, 2003 at 19:33
Yes Macca it is a good product but should be waterproof from the start. I had a canvas annex made locally (Jim Allen and son) for my caravan. It has never leaked a drop from the very first use which was in torrential rain at Merimbula. So it can be done! When I got the annex I knew I was buying top quality. I thought I was doing the same with the tent but 2 out of 2 with leakage makes me think otherwisa!
FollowupID: 257149

Reply By: Member - Bernie. (Vic) - Friday, Dec 05, 2003 at 07:23

Friday, Dec 05, 2003 at 07:23
Hi Mick
We have a Freedom tent not yet waterproofed
Was told not to hose it as it does not work , it needs a good 8 hours of RAIN
it expands the stitching in the holes. Once this is done should be OK
We are still waiting to be rain on maybe I should have put it up in the storm.

Cheers
Prado TD Auto
AnswerID: 39490

Sponsored Links