GU 3.0Tdi Diff noise???

Submitted: Wednesday, Dec 03, 2003 at 11:05
ThreadID: 8933 Views:2469 Replies:4 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
My Patrols' diff has begun to make a grinding noise at take off. Sort of a shudder really.

Feals like the LSD is too tight type thing and shudders from time to time at take off.

It usually happens after reversing or turning as I slip the clutch to get going.

It could be the clutch I suppose but almost certain its the diff. There is no problem or noise with normal straight driving.

Anyone with a similar experience???? any ideas????

cheers
Andrew
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: GUPatrol - Wednesday, Dec 03, 2003 at 11:43

Wednesday, Dec 03, 2003 at 11:43
Yep,
They all do it after the initial 10000kms (if the oil has not been changed) and when changed the oil comes out black....
Change the oil for the recommended and the chattering goes away.
AnswerID: 39276

Reply By: Member - Bradley- Wednesday, Dec 03, 2003 at 11:59

Wednesday, Dec 03, 2003 at 11:59
Change the diff oil for a synthetic 75w140 LSD oil and she will come good straight away. Chattering / grabbing LSD centres are real common , usually an oil change is all you need.Moo... everyone knows what a Jackaroo looks like :-)
AnswerID: 39280

Reply By: john - Wednesday, Dec 03, 2003 at 20:21

Wednesday, Dec 03, 2003 at 20:21
Its the oil. Had same prob 2 weeks ago.
AnswerID: 39328

Reply By: fitter - Wednesday, Dec 03, 2003 at 21:38

Wednesday, Dec 03, 2003 at 21:38
Guys,
Am thinking of buying a new GU patrol 3ltr turbo auto, can anyone give me some feedback on the verhicle.
AnswerID: 39341

Follow Up By: Member - Andrew(WA) - Wednesday, Dec 03, 2003 at 22:42

Wednesday, Dec 03, 2003 at 22:42
Fitter

If you search the archives you will find all the info you can absorb. The only people who bleep -can them are those who don't have one.

I have a manual but agree with others that Auto is the way to go. The only gripe I have is the very truck like ride (in my opinion) and the cost of servicing.

I recently did Fraser Island for the 1st time and was very impressed with performance. I was able to go where the Troopies and tourist buses where getting bogged. I just waved and smiled as we passed.

These are built for off road in mind. In my opinion they are better off road than on.

The later models, series III and IV are way ahead of the 1st editions in reliabilty. The early models had probs which are now fixed. You'll see what I'm on about if you search the archives.

Good luck.
FollowupID: 257072

Follow Up By: Member - Tim&jan - Thursday, Dec 04, 2003 at 23:17

Thursday, Dec 04, 2003 at 23:17
its everyone to there own but ill stay with the 4.2td great for the rocky climes at low revs you wont get that with the 3ltr, maybe the 2.8 would be ok being a six? but why a small engine?gu bush basha
FollowupID: 257169

Follow Up By: Member - Andrew(WA) - Friday, Dec 05, 2003 at 14:09

Friday, Dec 05, 2003 at 14:09
Tim

You could not have ever seriously taken a 3.0Tdi patrol on a rocky hill climb to say that.

I have had both, and used both in a recent 4wd course. Both on the course were not mine but company vehicles. It would be an understatement to say they were tested to the extreme!!!!

The 4.2 suffered stalls at low revs on steep rocky inclines without warning. The 3.0 did not suffer this as much and in situations where it did want to stall, the motors feel gave the driver time to start sliping the clutch to get engine revs up again.

Not that I recommend you slip a clutch on a hill climb. You should let it stall, do a reverse recovery and try again but the point here is that in all 4wd situations the 3.0 was in my opinion (and the instructors) the pick.

I would only recommend the 4.2 over the 3.0 in towing situations.

I don't want to start anything but having recently experienced both under very testing conditions I thought I would have a say. IMHO anyway.

I'd like the 4.2 even accelaration, grunty note and smooth feel, but the power of the 3.0Tdi kills the 4.2

Cheers
FollowupID: 257196

Sponsored Links