car problems

Submitted: Wednesday, Dec 03, 2003 at 15:10
ThreadID: 8937 Views:1506 Replies:5 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
I have a 98 model series 1 AU ford. its on duel fuel. After the engine is warm and has been running for a period i experiance fuel problems. Its like a surge. The car will be travelling along fine and then power will start to drop, similar to running out of fuel. If I remove my foot from the peddle then reapply I get power back but then the same thing happens almost immediatly. The time that the car is running prior to this problem seems to vary with the temp of the day. I have taken this to several mechanics with no joy, even after servicing the gas system and cleaning out wax residue. Any help would be appreicated

brian
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - jaksun - Wednesday, Dec 03, 2003 at 16:11

Wednesday, Dec 03, 2003 at 16:11
check the coolant level in your radiator,maybe not getting enough hot coolent to your gas converter to convert the liquid gas to gas
AnswerID: 39301

Reply By: Dave ....Adelaide - Wednesday, Dec 03, 2003 at 16:33

Wednesday, Dec 03, 2003 at 16:33
Problem is simple.......ITS A FORD ..........LOL
AnswerID: 39304

Reply By: howesy - Wednesday, Dec 03, 2003 at 20:34

Wednesday, Dec 03, 2003 at 20:34
Your problem could be as said coolant realated. My experience has been that a lot of installers cut into the heater lines and route it through the converter. Works great (sorta) trouble is that if you have your heater tap closed you have restricted severely the pressure available to feed the converter and when your thermostat is fully open there is even less pressure because the water can then flow around the block more freely so (heater tap closed thermo open = bad circulation.)
Your converter line should be cut into the heater hose that goes to the "in" of the heater. If it is not check to see which hose has the most pressure. fter cutting this hose connect the engine block side to the "in" on the converter and the other heater half connects to the "out" on the converter. Go to Pirtek or someone and buy two "brass" step down T pieces Put these in the "in" and "out" lines of the heater with a bypass hose connecting the two. With this system in placeyou always get maximum flow through the converter as even when the heater tap is off water flows through the smaller diameter bypass. The heater seems to be uninhibited with this setup.
This may not be the ultimate fix for you but it will at least eliminate one possibility for you and you will know that you have good flow.
P.S. resist using plastic fittings as over time with the heat they become brittle and can crack when you least expect.
Hoping this may have been of some help. Catch ya later.
AnswerID: 39331

Follow Up By: bruce - Thursday, Dec 04, 2003 at 08:57

Thursday, Dec 04, 2003 at 08:57
Had similar problem with EF Falcon on our our round OZ trip a few yrs ago...chap at Albany fixed it in the same or similar manner that Howsey describes..not a bit of trouble since..cheers
FollowupID: 257102

Reply By: Member - Eric- Thursday, Dec 04, 2003 at 00:08

Thursday, Dec 04, 2003 at 00:08
Sounds to me like you have a intake air blockage , make sure your airfilter is clean , make sure the duct work hasnt come apart , also check the small silver duct work , come across this aftenVenus Bay
AnswerID: 39371

Reply By: jackablue - Thursday, Dec 04, 2003 at 15:41

Thursday, Dec 04, 2003 at 15:41
Brian

My old man had a very similar problem on his Jackaroo. He too had been to several mechanics & they serviced, cleaned etc. & no different. After looking at post 7788 & reading about vaccuum seals, he checked one of the hoses & it was worn & cut at a bit of an angle & the clamp was stuffed. He recut the hose & put a new clamp on it & hasn't had a problem since.

Cheers

Jackablue
AnswerID: 39408

Sponsored Links