GU patrol 3ltr turbo

Submitted: Wednesday, Dec 03, 2003 at 21:42
ThreadID: 8947 Views:1854 Replies:7 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Guy,
I am looking into buying a new 3ltr turbo auto Patrol, are they the business or should i give them a miss.

Cheers.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: fourby - Wednesday, Dec 03, 2003 at 22:04

Wednesday, Dec 03, 2003 at 22:04
You will not be disappointed,Having owned 4 Nissans previously these are the best yet.
I personally think the auto is the way to go as they mask the turbo lag that occurs with smaller diesels.
I tow a 17ft van with ease, and with a set of rock crawler gears from Marks adaptors you have the best of both worlds,easy driving in traffic,excellent hill climbing ability and better downhill braking than the manuals.
My only dislike is the plastic guard trims around the wheel arches which are easily damaged and cost a fortune.
Fitting side bars are one way of eliminating this problem.
The economy of the vehicle is excellent.
If you are a fitter as your tag suggests, you will appreciate the excellent construction of the chassis and mechanics.
Do not be put off by the doomsday prophets,most of which relate to the early model problems that have been rectified.
regards
AnswerID: 39349

Follow Up By: fitter - Thursday, Dec 04, 2003 at 09:07

Thursday, Dec 04, 2003 at 09:07
Thanks for the help guys, i also currently drive a cruiser ( 10years now and 4 types ) my wife however needs an auto so she can also drive on long trips and its pointless having 3 cars. I drove an auto patrol 3ltr T/D and was very inpressed, the moment i asked some of my cruiser mates all i heard about was how the world would come to an end if i bourght one!!!! So i am glad to see some positive feedback, thanks again.

P.S i am a fitter.
FollowupID: 257104

Reply By: Mark - Wednesday, Dec 03, 2003 at 22:55

Wednesday, Dec 03, 2003 at 22:55
I faced the same question when I was trading my 80 series diesel cruiser just 5 weeks ago. I went for the 3.0 ST GU Nissan and so far (3,500kms) am absolutely delighted with it.

I tow a 1.6T offroad caravan and compared to the cruiser (non-turbo but extractors and 2 1/2 exhaust), its like chalk and cheese. Forgot what its like to tow when enough power on board. I went for the manual and the only time you notice a bit of turbo lag is below 1,000rpm when taking off with a load. But apparently the dtronic chip fixes that too.

My brother-in-law bought the GU 3.0TD auto 12 months ago and has clocked up 45,000kms. Not one fault in that time and he too loves it.

After bagging the nissans for the last 10 years while I owned the cruiser, I have now changed camps and am happily converted :)

Cheers

Mark
AnswerID: 39362

Follow Up By: chrisfrd - Thursday, Dec 04, 2003 at 18:38

Thursday, Dec 04, 2003 at 18:38
Naa.... DTronic doesn't help below 1000RPM.

The engine doesn't have enough backpressure to spin the turbo and provide boost.

The DTronic DOES fix the gutless lump around 2700RPM and holds the intake pressure over 22PSI for longer... Good in anyones books!

Chris Ford
FollowupID: 257147

Reply By: mick - Thursday, Dec 04, 2003 at 11:58

Thursday, Dec 04, 2003 at 11:58
Fitter,

I bought an Auto 6 months ago, I did a reasonable amount of research and figured that they can't be that bad (earlier models had their probs) because there are that bl**dy many of them out there, in saying that absolutley thrilled with it, and we tow a 16.5 foot van as well. Power when you need it and no probs yet.

Go for it!!!!

Mick
AnswerID: 39394

Reply By: Martyn (WA) - Thursday, Dec 04, 2003 at 13:29

Thursday, Dec 04, 2003 at 13:29
Fitter,
I considered buying a new one but that's as far as I got. I bought a 2000 3.0 litre TD about five weeks ago, the difference between the GQ and my new GU is considerable, I've just come back for a bit a trip at the weekend, my first one and I was very impressed, fuel economy was good and there appeared to be a lot more space inside the cab for the kids as well. Quieter as well. With the HF and the UHF remote head on the centre console an overhead console maybe the answer seems to be a bit cluttered now, the amount of power available appeared to be much better, fifth gear held in and the turbo is still ok so I look at that as a win. I was a staunch supporter of the GQ and I still am, the simplicity of the mechanics of the vehicle has got to be a winner, the computer and general complexity of the electronics is a bit of a worry, I'm sure the confidence will grow with time.
I'm averse to buying new due to all the extras you have to pay for the pleasure of purchasing a vehicle that nobody else has driven and the resale value if you took it back to the same yard to trade the following day. I got what I believe to be a good secondhand vehicle at a great price, they are out there you just have to look. My opinions as usual. Keep the shiny side up
AnswerID: 39399

Reply By: DARREN - Thursday, Dec 04, 2003 at 14:07

Thursday, Dec 04, 2003 at 14:07
Fitter, I Bought a new 3.0 manual in May and now have 20,000 on it (10,000 being a Cape York trip towing a trailer). Very happy with it considering I thought I would never enjoy driving a Diesel. I would ignore the 3.0TD critics, it does seem that the "issues" of the earlier models have been resolved.
My mate who has a non intercooled 2002 4.2 Dielsel reluctantly agrees the 3.0TD goes better.
AnswerID: 39402

Reply By: fitter - Thursday, Dec 04, 2003 at 21:33

Thursday, Dec 04, 2003 at 21:33
well guys i'm convinced. Will be closing the deal soon. Hope you can all come to the christening!!!! Once again thanks for the help.

It's really good to see a group like this with so much support ( and banta!! )

Cheers,
Fitter.
AnswerID: 39454

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Thursday, Dec 04, 2003 at 22:42

Thursday, Dec 04, 2003 at 22:42
Guy in our club brought is clutch and pressure plate in to the meeting the other night. 70,000klms is all he got out of it, not towing anything..

$4000 the repair bill, $2800 for the pressure plate I think it was, not repairable at most places, but Steve roly found a place that does. (Watto's wasnt fixable.)

Steve only got around that many klms out of his too...
AnswerID: 39469

Follow Up By: awill4x4 - Friday, Dec 05, 2003 at 00:13

Friday, Dec 05, 2003 at 00:13
Bruce, it was the flywheel which cost $2800 because it is the oil filled and dampened one. If he had caught it earlier it may have been able to recover it but the new clutch plates are carbon fibre based and give very little warning compared to the organic type clutch plates. The carbon fibre ones don't give off the characteristic smell of overheated clutch facings associated with organic clutches.
A couple of guys in the club are considering changine their clutches now rather than waiting for it to happen to them.
The extra clamping pressure along with organic clutch plates seem to solve the clutch problems.
Regards Andrew.
FollowupID: 257173

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Friday, Dec 05, 2003 at 17:45

Friday, Dec 05, 2003 at 17:45
Thought you would know.

got me Intercooler built yet?
FollowupID: 257217

Sponsored Links