Engel Fridge

Submitted: Monday, Oct 10, 2011 at 18:38
ThreadID: 89486 Views:4031 Replies:5 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
I have an old engel fridge, the green one. It worked perfectly well 145 months ago when I last used it. Plugged it in yesterday and left on over night but did not cool at all. Checked through the archives were it was suggested to turn on it's side for 20 min and then upside down for 20 min. Tried this and it did work to a certain extend. when left on over night the temperature will drop to +4c but will not go any lower or freeze, as it used to. Any suggestion what to try next ? Cheers
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Mick O - Monday, Oct 10, 2011 at 18:49

Monday, Oct 10, 2011 at 18:49
George,

turn if off and leave it upside down over night or an even longer period then give it a go. Due to age, it could also need regassing although if it's cooling it suggests that the system is still intact. Might be time for a service ;-)

Cheers Mick
''We knew from the experience of well-known travelers that the
trip would doubtless be attended with much hardship.''
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 467277

Reply By: toffytrailertrash - Monday, Oct 10, 2011 at 19:19

Monday, Oct 10, 2011 at 19:19
What ever you do don't sell it, the new ones are no where near as good. You will probably have to change it over to the new gas but the cost will be well worth it. I regret selling mine.
AnswerID: 467279

Reply By: Member - DAZA (QLD) - Monday, Oct 10, 2011 at 20:48

Monday, Oct 10, 2011 at 20:48
We also have a 27 year old 29litre Engel as wella as a 40litre Engel.

The 29litre wouldn't work after being off for a couple of months.

We had the compressor replaced for about $450 and claimed Contents Insurance.

It ended up costing us $100.

The repair guy also updated the Thermostat.

He told us never to turn them off.

Our 40litre in the 4by runs every time we start the engine.

Cheers
AnswerID: 467289

Reply By: Member -Paintar - Monday, Oct 10, 2011 at 22:19

Monday, Oct 10, 2011 at 22:19
Hi George
I must have one of the best Engel every made as it is 35 years old and still good as gold, it will be a said day for me when it stops working,I would like a dollar for every carton that has been put through it i would be a rich man

Image Could Not Be FoundImage Could Not Be Found
AnswerID: 467302

Reply By: Member - *Rusty* - Friday, Oct 14, 2011 at 23:57

Friday, Oct 14, 2011 at 23:57
We have my Nana & Pa's 40L Engel which has been around Australia 4 times, been running in a flood under the house twice and has now made it over to WA from QLD. It would be at least 35 + years old as i am 26 this year and i know they had it long before i was around.

We had the same problem with ours - it worked fine for ages (well it always froze everything if on higher than just on), then we turned it on for the first time in ages and took it to Perth but it hadn't cooled after being on freeze for 10 hrs, we threatend to buy a new one, but after a phone call to dad, he said to take it on a rough drive to shake the gas up.

Sure enough it did the trick hasnt missed a beat since! Ands back to freezing everything! lol.

Just give it a good shake as the gas settles in the bottom and takes a good shake to make it work again.

AnswerID: 467626

Sponsored Links