Using a Hi Lift jack

Submitted: Thursday, Dec 04, 2003 at 15:45
ThreadID: 8962 Views:1692 Replies:5 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
How do you use a Hi Lift jack to lift up the rear end of your 4by?
It keeps falling over sideways!

I'm about 45-50 cms off centre which is where the slots are in the front and that is OK.

(PS if you read the fine print, it tells you not to use a high lift to change a wheel. Hows that for a surprise.)
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Ross - Thursday, Dec 04, 2003 at 16:32

Thursday, Dec 04, 2003 at 16:32
Sometimes that's what you want it to do. If not try one side at a time, only a little further out and perhaps not quite so high. I certainly wouldn't get under a vehicle supported on a high lift jack ... or any other jack for that matter. But have changed wheels with one on countless occasions ... well, .. would you believe perhaps 10.

As long as you don't go silly and only lift one wheel slightly off the ground at a time you shouldn't have a problem.

I've had one for years and reckon they're the duck's nuts when you're bogged, but then the opposite end is usually fairly well anchored anyway.

If you lift the rear dead centre, say off the tow bar, you shouldn't have a problem. But remember with both wheels off the ground it is quite unstable and still prone to falling sidesways.

Hare and tortoise rule applies here.You're only as old as she feels

Rosco
AnswerID: 39411

Follow Up By: ceredig - Thursday, Dec 04, 2003 at 16:45

Thursday, Dec 04, 2003 at 16:45
Yes Rosco thats the question, how do you get one wheel up at a time?
I want to weld on a couple of brackets on to the rear bar but can only get about 50cm off centre. Any more than that will require some stiffening to the bar.
How far off centre do you lift and what do you do with the front wheels when you are lifting the back.

I've always used an exhaust jack which goes under the side of the car. But they don't last long so Iv'e now got what I thought was what everyone else uses, a high lift. But it's not straight forwrd is it?

I'd appreciate your help Rosco.
Thanks.
FollowupID: 257139

Follow Up By: Member - Ross - Thursday, Dec 04, 2003 at 17:04

Thursday, Dec 04, 2003 at 17:04
I guess it's fair to say it depends upon the vehicle. I have a Defender so it's not a prob due to the exposed rear X-member. With most of the more conventional vehicles (Toyo, Nissan, Disco etc) it's not so easy for this very reason.

Also if you're running split rims you can jack up on these. What type of truck??

You may find you're somewhat stuffed without a solid lifting point at each corner (so to speak).

As for the front wheels ... do you have a transmission h/brake or rear wheels only .. again what vehicle type?

The problem is the vehicle rotates about the swivel points at the front so there's no easy fix there ... even with both wheels chocked and transmission brake on.

A bit of lateral thinking here ... how about a tie from the top of the jack pole down to both rear corners (bumper bar mounts).

A lot of stuffing around and won't really work unles you keep the tension as you lift the vehicle. If all else fails ... bugger it ... buy a Landie .... ;-DYou're only as old as she feels

Rosco
FollowupID: 257140

Reply By: Voxson (Adelaide) - Thursday, Dec 04, 2003 at 17:29

Thursday, Dec 04, 2003 at 17:29
I use a highlift jack in preference to using any other type of jack... I jack the front or rear just by the bullbar or the rear bar which is a steel aftermarket type...I have to sorta calculate how much the car is going to fall over by puting a big angle on the jack before use...
High lift jacks are great...No crawling around in the crap and dirt trying to put it in the right area for a lift etc etc...._____________________________________________
Cant think of anything to put here just yet !

Reply By: troy - Thursday, Dec 04, 2003 at 19:51

Thursday, Dec 04, 2003 at 19:51
I have a hilux and rely on my high lift for the majority of my recovery situations (well only when by myself).
I have a ARB bull bar with a adaptor that bolts onto the eyelets on the bar which enables me to jack one or both wheels off the ground.
I also have a little gaget that goes over the front hubs and uses the wheel nuts as a 'brace' and up she goes.
I'm currently looking out for a spare tounge for the tow bar that i'll modify to enable me to jack more safely from the rear and a bracket that i can attach to the outer extreems of the tow bar.
9 time out of 10 it works well - just alot of elbow grease!!!
AnswerID: 39433

Reply By: Member - Jack - Thursday, Dec 04, 2003 at 20:28

Thursday, Dec 04, 2003 at 20:28
On the back I am able to slip the jack into the square bracket that normally houses the tow bar, and can lift from there.
On the front I now have the attachment which hooks onto the bullbar (dead centre). This one is on a small length of chain, and the other part of the coupling bolts onto the jack.
Before I found this little item I would jack at the front by hooking a chain into the two towing hooks, bring it around to the front and put the jack onto that. It worked fine for me.
On the side .. I am lucky to have some custom built steel side steps, and I can either jack directly onto these or use the front chain attachment. Have not had to do a side lift as yet, but tried it out just in case.
So far (touch wood) it has not fallen off the jack at any point .. although at times it has looked precarious.
JackNo trees were harmed in the making or sending of this message.
However a great number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
AnswerID: 39444

Follow Up By: Troopie - Friday, Dec 05, 2003 at 09:42

Friday, Dec 05, 2003 at 09:42
Hey Jack
Can you give a bit more details on the chain attachment you mentioned (what it looks like - where you got it). Sounds like a useful little gizmo?

Cheers
FollowupID: 257184

Follow Up By: Member - Jack - Friday, Dec 05, 2003 at 21:05

Friday, Dec 05, 2003 at 21:05
Hi Troopie:
The thing(gizmo) is called a Hi Lift Bumper Lift. If you have an ARB catalogue it is under the recovery section (Page 53 in my copy).
If you let me have an email I can scan and send you a copy of the part if you don't have the catalogue.

The earlier option I discussed was using recovery chain, hooked up to the two front recovery points on my 80 series, brought around the front and I used to just put the jack in the middle and lift it from there. Then I found the ARB thing.

Jack (good name for this thread....).No trees were harmed in the making or sending of this message.
However a great number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
FollowupID: 257228

Follow Up By: Troopie - Tuesday, Dec 09, 2003 at 15:21

Tuesday, Dec 09, 2003 at 15:21
G'day Again Jack
Thanks for that - yep - found the doo-dad - reckon I'll get myself one.

I had been doing similar to you with the chain and using recovery points....

Thanks very much for the reply!

Kind Regards
FollowupID: 257410

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Thursday, Dec 04, 2003 at 22:49

Thursday, Dec 04, 2003 at 22:49
"It keeps falling over sideways! "

Thats what they are designed to do.

Lift the car high enough to get out of ruts, and slide sideways out of the rut so the wheels are on the high ground again.
AnswerID: 39476

Sponsored Links