Stopping Water in Landcruiser Wheel Bearings

Submitted: Friday, Oct 21, 2011 at 01:30
ThreadID: 89664 Views:11985 Replies:13 FollowUps:16
This Thread has been Archived
Hi guys,

I have an 80 series, and do a lot of remote travel in it. Fantastic vehicle, except for one particular annoying thing: always trickling water into the font bearings. I am fed up of pulling them out and re-packing.

Don't bother read on this will bore you, unless you've had the same problem.

Every time the wheelbearings go through water - ultimately the bearings need to be taken out and re-packed. If you don't sooner or later it will bite you in the backside as even a few drops will damage them in the long run. Despite maintaining my bearings properly, I have lost count of the number of times I have had to strip it down and re-pack with new seals. Considering all the time and effort I have gone into keeping my bearings dry - I thought I'd share it with others who have also experienced the problem.

I hope I'm not telling more experienced 4WDers how to suck eggs here but I believe I have come up with a way to definitively CURE the problem, and thought I'd share the solution to those interested. Below, I have a guide for minimising water and also what I believe to be a relatively easily permanent solution to the problem. The rear bearings do not nearly as much leak water as the front, and usually require significantly less maintenance.

I have done a lot of research into water and the front bearings on the 80 series, and this includes lengthy chats with Timkin and other experts. The new LC's, I'm sure you are aware, have sealed bearings to combat the problem, but cannot be retro-fitted to the older vehicles.

Water in bearings is bad, end of story; and if left too long can be very expensive and time-consuming to fix. I have seen a number of cases where the wheel bearings were left too long (a few thousand kms) and this has ultimately led to new hubs, rotors, calipers, bearings, seals, and even manual locking hubs. This is because when the bearings fail the entire setup is no longer concentric and ultimately destroys itself.

How to cure water in the front bearings:

1) get it right in the first place.
- new seals
- use MARINE grease, not standard wheel bearing grease
- use genuine toyota seals
- keep the inner seals clean
- ensure the inner axel seal is in good condition
- make sure your swivel hub seals & felts are in good condition all the time, and make sure they have not been CUT by lazy mechanics.
- stick with the genuine toyota manual locking hubs they are better then AVM (I went through 3 sets of AVM's before realising they leak like a sieve)
- use engine oil in the locking hubs, not grease (apart from the fact they are not designed for grease, experience demonstrates the less viscous engine oil retards water better)

2) here's my simple solution. Done properly it solves the problem for good. I run two (joined) positive pressure air lines into a) the swivel hub and b) the outside of the spindle to retard water. If you want to give it a go, this is how I did it:

Water gets in via 3 places only: the locking hubs, the swivel hubs (and through the CV/spindle) and the inner hub seals. By pressurising the system as you travel through water it retards any water trying to get in through all 3.

a) there is a square-headed inspection bolt on the top of the swivel housing. Remove it and drill a vertical hole right through to feed a low-pressure hose (I used 5.5mm hose OD). Use hose (and/or a fitting) that will tolerate a few sticks, and also higher temperatures if things get hot. Once the hose is fitted, cut to about 30cm and replace the bolt into the swivel housing.

b) with the hub/rotor and bearings all removed, locate the bottom drain indentation on the spindle. This is about 15mm wide and leaved a groove under the seal to allow any water to drain out. Unfortunately, it can also let water in. In this groove, I used silicon to seal in a small copper tube allowing air to get into the space between the two inner hub seals. Attach another section of 5.5mm hose to the outer end of the tiny sealed-in copper pipe, and feed it back towards the front diff via a hole you can drill through the thin disc/rotor dust backing plate. Cut the hose at 30cm.

c) reassemble the entire front hub and wheel.

So, now you have two hoses running into the swivel housing and in-between the two inner hub seals. Join them together on both sides of the axel housing and then run a hose up into the engine bay where you can supply a low-pressure air source (and a switch to operate when crossing through water).

When I say low pressure, I mean 2PSI. Too high, and you will start to blow grease and all sorts into the wrong place. Too low, and the pressure of deep water will exceed that of the air you are supplying and water will get in.

So, by supplying air to these two points you will retard any water from getting past the swivel hub seals and into the swivel housing. From there, the water can travel through the spindle around the CV and enter the manual locking hub and ultimately find its way into the bearings. So, the air in the swivel housing also pressurises the inside of the manual locking hub and retards water there also! Secondly, the air you will supply to the space inbetween the two inner hub seals will retard water from entering on the inner-bearing side of the system.

Importantly, because the two lines are joined onto the same line, they will always equalise pressure and ensure your air pressure does not blow grease in the wrong direction. Additionally, when the swivel housing is pressurised, it will retard any diff fluid from the front entering the CV. It is however important to ensure your front diff breather is properly functioning (for other reasons also). If it's all done correctly you should be able to blow on the end of the tubing and NOT loose any pressure at all. If you are, hunt down the leak and fix it.

This is actually a lot easier to do than it sounds, and it works an absolute treat by effectively waterproofing the entire front hub setup.

What I've written might be a bit confusing, if anyone is genuinely interested I will take the time to get a few clear photographs so you can see how it is done.

Sorry this is a long post, but this really is a neat, simple solution to the problem we all experience (even if you don't realise it!).

Cheers, Husky
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Toyocrusa (NSW) - Friday, Oct 21, 2011 at 06:48

Friday, Oct 21, 2011 at 06:48
Hi Husky. Sounds pretty good the way you have explained it. I worked out a way to seal boat trailer hubs many years ago and get at least 5 years out of a set of bearings by keeping the water out. How do you regulate the air pressure down to 2lb. Cheers,Bob

AnswerID: 468184

Follow Up By: Husky 1 - Friday, Oct 21, 2011 at 06:53

Friday, Oct 21, 2011 at 06:53
Hi Bob,

Ive got an air pump that's used to cool the Warn winch (which never gets used), it puts out just the right pressure for the job. It would be easy to get an elcheapo tyre pump and add a relief valve though.

Cheers, Husky
FollowupID: 742415

Reply By: caseh - Friday, Oct 21, 2011 at 07:34

Friday, Oct 21, 2011 at 07:34
Hakk Husky. I did read on and it did not bore me one bit! Thanks for the clear outline.
My question is, is this unique to the 80 series? I have just this month bought a 2005 100 series after bearing problems with my Hilux. I had bearings replaced in Kununurra but as they had problems getting the old bearing off it axle was heated!
You guessed it. the axle snapped 70 km out of Port Hedland. Bad for the ticker when the Hilux was a Matilda weighing over 3 tons.

I am not mechanically enclined but want to be better prepared for my next trip down under next April.

Many thanks in advance

cheers, case
AnswerID: 468187

Follow Up By: Husky 1 - Friday, Oct 21, 2011 at 15:03

Friday, Oct 21, 2011 at 15:03
G'day Case,

I'm not sure if this is unique to the 80 to be honest. Other vehicles have very similar designs and I suspect it depends on two pain points 1) whether or not the vehicle is looked after and serviced and 2) how much you flog the vehicle.

I can't really speak of too much experience past the 80 series... but I think the 100's might be similar?
FollowupID: 742450

Reply By: kidsandall - Friday, Oct 21, 2011 at 08:27

Friday, Oct 21, 2011 at 08:27
We spent 3 yrs travelling in our 80 series and did lots of water crossings, never seemed to have a problem with water in the bearing. Always serviced it regularly but never had issues with water in the bearings or the diff. We had extended diff breathers but that was all. Have others with 80 series had this problem???

Josh
AnswerID: 468188

Reply By: Hairs & Fysh - Friday, Oct 21, 2011 at 11:18

Friday, Oct 21, 2011 at 11:18
Hi Husky,
Is this for both Constant 4wd models and free wheeling front hub model or only for one variant? I ask, because you wrote,
"and this has ultimately led to new hubs, rotors, calipers, bearings, seals, and even manual locking hubs."
As Josh mentioned, I too haven't come across water/moisture in my front axle/bearings(GXL 91 model, 330000k's), my swivel hubs and front axle was rebuilt two years ago, she'd been through some water crossings previous to the rebuild.

BTW, excellent write up, it was easy to follow. :)
Cheers for sharing.

Jon

AnswerID: 468203

Follow Up By: Husky 1 - Friday, Oct 21, 2011 at 15:08

Friday, Oct 21, 2011 at 15:08
G'day Jon,

My vehicle is actually a full-time that's been converted to part. Free wheeling hubs definitely make it worse because they leak water of course (under the pressure of depth) and they also allow the bearing to equalise pressure on both sides easier. So, whilst I'm not experienced in the full-timers I would suspect they handle water better, but again it depends on a number of variables.

I know of lots of blokes who have had a good run with water crossings, maybe they're blessed, or maybe it is something as simple as the swivel hubs being less worn? (thereby allowing water to pass past the felt/seal easier) who knows. I wish I was that lucky.

I suspect I have had a worse run with water getting in because I really do flog my poor 80, and it is this extra harsh wear and tear which probably precipitates the problem sooner?
FollowupID: 742451

Follow Up By: Hairs & Fysh - Friday, Oct 21, 2011 at 15:37

Friday, Oct 21, 2011 at 15:37
Thanks for your reply Husky,
I'll have to ask the question to a few blokes I kn ow who have done the part-time conversion on their GXL's, if they have noticed the difference, with water/moisture in there. Yeah, who knows why some have had the drama like yourself & others have had a trouble free run, Hmmm.
Anyways, thanks again for the write up.

Have a good one & safe travels.
Cheers
FollowupID: 742456

Reply By: Member - Joe n Mel n kids (FNQ - Friday, Oct 21, 2011 at 13:47

Friday, Oct 21, 2011 at 13:47
good write up, waiting for the photos, it was interesting as i was waiting for some "mod" to the bearing/seals but what you explain for that is really what we all should be doing standard, i do know some have changed to a liquid "grease" and it works well, it is like a very high viscosity oil, like thick honey ... that is in the bearings only, it wont work in the swivel hub bearings...
Cheers
Joe
AnswerID: 468215

Follow Up By: Husky 1 - Friday, Oct 21, 2011 at 15:15

Friday, Oct 21, 2011 at 15:15
Interestign Joe, I had not heard of the 'liquid grease'... do you know who makes it? I have also noticed that any water that gets into the swivel housing - when left to stand in the heat will evaporate and recondense to the top of the housing and can impregnate the top swivel hub bearing if it is not properly lubed... the water has a way of getting into everything once inside - it just takes time, wear and a certain amount of water before it becomes mechanically apparent.
FollowupID: 742453

Follow Up By: Member - MUZBRY(Vic) - Friday, Oct 21, 2011 at 16:25

Friday, Oct 21, 2011 at 16:25
Gday Husky
I drain the hubs on my Nissan after it has been through a few rivers and creeks. When the drain plug is out, i spray wd40 or similar up into the hub to disperse the moisture.

Muzbry
Great place to be Mt Blue Rag 27/12/2012

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 742457

Follow Up By: Member - Joe n Mel n kids (FNQ - Friday, Oct 21, 2011 at 20:32

Friday, Oct 21, 2011 at 20:32
the idea came from truck n trailer hubs, most now seem to have a heavy oil running in them they have a clear "cap" on them so you can see the oil level and condition, they run at about half full ........
I also remember seeing it on a forum about boat trailer hubs and some guys using it in them........... that would be the ultimate test as they run in water and salt water at that...
The grease/oil is used in very high load slow moving equipmentlike heavy chain drives and large slow moving bearings, 4wd wheel bearings actually dont rotate that fast so i think it would be perfect, the thing i have found with grease is it can totally dry out on one race yet have perfect grease in the other, yes mostly the one closest to the seal, if it was semi liquid it would flow around and even with some water ingress it would still work fine .....

i did a search and check out the data ........ interesting as it ticks all the boxes for the off road requirements ... and LOVE the point about "life-time fill" suit a slack bugger like me hahaha

APPLICATION
ADDINOL Liquid grease SGR 00 is used to lubricate
gearboxes under server operating conditions. It boasts
extended component life and energy savings due to
surface improvements on gears.
It can be used in leaking gearboxes to inhibit oil
seepage. Under certain conditions this product can be
a life time fill (please see local supplier).
ADDINOL Liquid grease SGR 00 has excellent pump
ability in centralised lubrication system where heavier
consistencies fail.
ADDINOL Liquid grease SGR 00 is great for gears
without oil tight enclosures, tooth couplings and roller
bearings.
ADDINOL Liquid grease SGR 00 is compatible with
conventional sealing material and non ferrous metals..

PRODUCT DESCRIPTION
ADDINOL Liquid grease SGR 00 is a
combination of mineral oil, organic
thickener, EP additives and corrosion
inhibiting substances to produce a
semi liquid homogenous grease.
ADDINOL Liquid grease SGR 00
features:
?? Excellent load carrying capacity
?? Outstanding rust protection
?? Easily pumpable in centralise
lubrication systems
?? Resistance to hot and cold water
?? Temperature range -35ºC to
+100ºC
Designation in accordance with DIN...

FollowupID: 742488

Follow Up By: Husky 1 - Saturday, Oct 22, 2011 at 10:43

Saturday, Oct 22, 2011 at 10:43
thanks for the info Joe - very interesting. do you know how these blokes manage to keep the liquid grease sealed inside the hub? It would be easy to install a grub screw in the hub to put it in...
FollowupID: 742546

Follow Up By: Member - Joe n Mel n kids (FNQ - Saturday, Oct 22, 2011 at 21:58

Saturday, Oct 22, 2011 at 21:58
i just wish i could remember what forum the thread was on, it was very interesting to read, a few good points came out of it,
you must not fill it any more than half full at a max.... it will tend to "pump" the grease/oil and it will get very hot...
If filled correctly it will assist in "cooling" it as it "flows" around all components dissipating the heat, i know for a fact grease does NOT do that, it is confined to the race and that is that.....

My thoughts are if you have a quality set of free wheeling hubs it will work really well in them as grease does not really work to well at all in them and if over packed it can restrict the slide of the gears and strip it if not engauged properly .... it will also work heaps better with water ingress as it will mix with it and at leats provide lubrication as grease seperates and you end up with rust, even the most expensive "best" greases dry off after water.........

Your idea of a grub screw or even bung as per the swivel hubs would make it a very simple job, after a run through water to service it you turn the hub so the bung is at the bottom and drain it all out, turn the hud 1/4 of a turn and re fill it..... so simple ....
Got me thinking as i have to replace mine very shortly so i may look at doing it
Cheers
Joe
FollowupID: 742611

Follow Up By: Member - MUZBRY(Vic) - Sunday, Oct 23, 2011 at 07:44

Sunday, Oct 23, 2011 at 07:44
Good morning Joe
You also have to remember that the water will run to the bottom or lowest point and that is the inner bearing .

Muzbry

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 742618

Follow Up By: Member - Joe n Mel n kids (FNQ - Sunday, Oct 23, 2011 at 14:46

Sunday, Oct 23, 2011 at 14:46
yes good point, made me think for a bit there but yes it the bigger and lower .......
Still must be some way, i do have to do mine so will have to have a good look at it eh
Cheers
Joe
FollowupID: 742664

Reply By: rainbowprof - Friday, Oct 21, 2011 at 14:13

Friday, Oct 21, 2011 at 14:13
very interesting. Do you think this applies to 75 series too?
AnswerID: 468217

Reply By: Husky 1 - Friday, Oct 21, 2011 at 15:11

Friday, Oct 21, 2011 at 15:11
hey mate,

Without looking at the schematics, I suspect most of the earlier LC's are very similar if not near identical. At the end of the day I guess one needs to pull the bearings out to see just how much gets in. I suspect some drivers roll in bliss because they are unawares of the damage slowly brewing insude the hub...

Cheers, Husky
AnswerID: 468225

Reply By: Member - MUZBRY(Vic) - Friday, Oct 21, 2011 at 15:24

Friday, Oct 21, 2011 at 15:24
Gday Husky
I understand what you are getting at , but the compressor is going to pump in moist air unless there is a drier in the line before the hubs. You can check the amount of moisture in the air with the weather report each morning.

Muzbry

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 468226

Reply By: pop2jocem - Friday, Oct 21, 2011 at 16:59

Friday, Oct 21, 2011 at 16:59
Hi all, interesting post Husky and no not boring at all. While I have never had a similar problem with my aging 75 series that may be because I only do the occasional water crossing. May I however suggest an alternative for low pressure air supply rather than trying to reduce the pressure from a "normal" air compressor. Low pressure electric fuel pumps that only develop a maximum of 3 psi are available. I believe they are of a diaphragm type so lubrication is not required and being such low pressure shouldn't have any condensation issues.

Cheers Pop
AnswerID: 468235

Reply By: Muntoo - Friday, Oct 21, 2011 at 17:04

Friday, Oct 21, 2011 at 17:04
Do you have a decent set of diff breathers fitted?

I've never come across this as being a problem with the 80 series as much as any other 4wd. Interesting though.
AnswerID: 468236

Follow Up By: Husky 1 - Friday, Oct 21, 2011 at 17:13

Friday, Oct 21, 2011 at 17:13
interesting comments everyone, thanks.

muntoo, yeah I've got a good set of breathers.

for the positive preasure, I use a small high-speed fan as oppose to a compressor (sounds like a little sissy vacuum) - so it is actually allowing air to escape as it is not sealed when not in use. Interesting thought RE humidity though. Would the humidity only increase if the system was passing volumes of air? To increase to 2PSI this would only be a small increase in volume? Interesting questions, thanks
FollowupID: 742462

Follow Up By: Member - MUZBRY(Vic) - Friday, Oct 21, 2011 at 17:54

Friday, Oct 21, 2011 at 17:54
Gday Husky
Pressure and volume are two different things. The humidity increases when there is a humid day.
Are you running this thing at all times or only when you are going through river ?

Muzbry

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 742464

Follow Up By: Husky 1 - Friday, Oct 21, 2011 at 18:03

Friday, Oct 21, 2011 at 18:03
just on when going through water mate.
FollowupID: 742465

Follow Up By: Member - MUZBRY(Vic) - Friday, Oct 21, 2011 at 19:09

Friday, Oct 21, 2011 at 19:09
Gday
Then you have not much to worry about.
Cool the hubs first and they wont suck when going through water.

Muzbry

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 742472

Reply By: gbc - Friday, Oct 21, 2011 at 18:18

Friday, Oct 21, 2011 at 18:18
Pressurising works on all beam axles. This has been a standard 'mod' on competition 4wds for some time now.
Nice write up.
Maybe there should be a tech section in the forum - oh that's right - funny layout and all that.
AnswerID: 468242

Follow Up By: Husky 1 - Saturday, Oct 22, 2011 at 09:44

Saturday, Oct 22, 2011 at 09:44
Thanks gbc - yeah I was aware about the diff/axel housing being pressurized by the comp guys but hadn't heard about the bearing/cv being done. It seems I always learn the hard way! I'd be really interested to see how they do it if anyone knows.

Cheers, husky
FollowupID: 742538

Reply By: Bernie C - Saturday, Oct 22, 2011 at 11:12

Saturday, Oct 22, 2011 at 11:12
I have a full time front diff with extended diff breathers and never had an issue but I change my front bearings and seals every year as 80 series are hard on them.

I will post this link to an 80series forum and see what the reply's are on it.

http://www.offroad80s.com/stopping-water-in-landcruiser-wheel-bearings-t8017.html
AnswerID: 468318

Reply By: Ross M - Tuesday, Nov 15, 2011 at 23:21

Tuesday, Nov 15, 2011 at 23:21
If you have a compressor then use a barby regulator set to your desired pressure and use a changeover valve from "vent all lines" to "pressure all lines and it will handle the flow the flow of slightly pressurised air and protect all the vitals. Using an electric switched valve (plenty on cars at the wreckers) the systems can be electrically switched whenever you require and it will also start your compressor.

Just a thought.

Ross M
AnswerID: 470127

Sponsored Links