Caravan HD <span class="highlight">antenna</span>

I recently purchased a Kogan 22inch LED HD TV. I have had a number of problems with losing channels, for example today I "lost" all the ABC channels. Yesterday it was channel nine and so on.
Sunday night was great we lost the World cup final and could not pick up Gem TV, I was impressed believe me.

In frustration today I walked up to the Managers residence at Newmarket caravan park and asked for help. Ian was obliging and we hooked my tv up in his house and it worked perfectly.
Kogan help desk has been extremely helpful and suggested that it was the antenna in the first place. But they dont know about caravans and they are not in their 6th decade, I am, they are probably working on their 3rd decade.

I have tried research but it is confusing. I am currently at Ashgrove in Brisbane, can anyone recommend an installer to replace my wynguard aerial for a new digital antenna. And does anyone have any ideas on type etc.
Time for a beer.
Jim
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - John - Tuesday, Oct 25, 2011 at 19:42

Tuesday, Oct 25, 2011 at 19:42
If you get a signal via the antenna at times, you should be able to get it all the time. Are the aerial connections secure, ie, not moving at all? Are you using good quality connections? Is the cable in good condition? Whne you used the managers aerial, his may have been in A1 condition........

Just a few things to look at and consider, good luck.

John and Jan

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 468531

Follow Up By: JimDi - Tuesday, Oct 25, 2011 at 20:34

Tuesday, Oct 25, 2011 at 20:34
John,
Thanks for the advice. Funnily enough we tried a Kogan LCD and it worked perfectly. But not the Kogan LED.
Will borrow a ladder tomorrow and check all .
Jim
FollowupID: 742825

Reply By: Gone Bush (WA) - Tuesday, Oct 25, 2011 at 19:49

Tuesday, Oct 25, 2011 at 19:49
Jim,

all is not lost.

Go to a Camec or other caravan accessories store near you and get a Wingman for the Winegard antenna.

http://winegard.com/wingman/

Image Could Not Be Found

It should cost about $65 to $70.

It simply clips onto existing lugs on the Winegard. Keep the rubber caps off these lugs and put them back onto the antenna to act as bumpers against the van roof.

The best description I've seen about how it works is that it's like cupping your hand around your ear to improve your hearing. Believe me, it does work and it will most certainly correct your reception issues.

Make sure it is marked for New Zealand TV frequencies (don't ask, just make sure of that).

From one old bugger to another....

cheers
I'm glad I ain't too scared to be lazy
- Augustus McCrae (Lonesome Dove)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 468534

Follow Up By: Gone Bush (WA) - Tuesday, Oct 25, 2011 at 19:53

Tuesday, Oct 25, 2011 at 19:53
Just to add:

there are a few people who have gone through exactly what you are experiencing....

new tellie, losing channels, picked them up with the old one.

Your existing Winegard is fine. Just add that Wingman.

Remember: NZ frequencies....

I'm glad I ain't too scared to be lazy
- Augustus McCrae (Lonesome Dove)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 742822

Follow Up By: JimDi - Tuesday, Oct 25, 2011 at 20:55

Tuesday, Oct 25, 2011 at 20:55
Thanks Gone Bush,
Saw one of those add ons at the Brissy Caravan show the other day. Thought about it and just wrote it off as something else to buy. It was on "special" too.
I am not far from Camec so I might venture out and have a look.\

And I wont ask about NZ frequencies.

It was bad enough today talking to a young bloke at Kogan helpline who was insisting that I would be well served to just take my TV "home" tune it in on my home aerial and see if it worked there. Then bring it back to the caravan and see what happened.
As he was working and thus paying taxes I did not have the heart to tell him that the missus and I just travel around doing not a great deal and have been doing so for a few years.
Heck he might quit work and where would I be then.
Thanks for your advice I will take it up.
Regards
Jim
FollowupID: 742827

Reply By: dublediff - Wednesday, Oct 26, 2011 at 21:39

Wednesday, Oct 26, 2011 at 21:39
The wingman will fix your digital channel problems but you will experience reception issues in other areas of Oz. Some areas transmit on a vertical signal plane and others use a horizontal signal plane. The wingaurd only accepts one of them. You can change the wingaurd for a universal antenna that replaces the wing of the antenna but uses the mount....looks a bit like a basketbal with saturns rings around it, or you can modify the mount of the wingaurd so that it flips over to a vertical position. I have plans to do the latter but haven't got around to it yet....

cheers eric.
AnswerID: 468613

Follow Up By: JimDi - Wednesday, Oct 26, 2011 at 23:17

Wednesday, Oct 26, 2011 at 23:17
Thanks Eric,
I was going to look at the aerial you mentioned. I had seen it at various shows and so on. The van a couple of doors down has one but the bloke must be working as he disappears early and comes back late so have not had a chance to talk.
Today i went to Camec and purchased the wingman for $73.40,so looks like that will have to do for awhile. It looks like I may have to figure out how to alter to the vertical in some areas.
Jim
FollowupID: 742926

Reply By: Grinner - Thursday, Oct 27, 2011 at 10:25

Thursday, Oct 27, 2011 at 10:25
There are a few thing to get think about for mobile TV reception.
1. Is the signal UHF or VHF?
2. Is the signal Horizontal or Vertical?

Unfortunatley, the Wineguard, while easy to adjust, is only really designed for Horizontal VHF signals. Adding the Wingman only improves UHF reception.

The other issue I have found affecting digital reception is the quality of the coax cables used. Ideally it should be RG6 cables with F connectors.

I see you have alreay bought the wingman add-on, if you still have problems, try replacing the coax cable between the TV and the wall plate. Get a good quality one from Dick Smith or Jaycar or similar, might cost you $15 - $25.

AnswerID: 468629

Follow Up By: JimDi - Thursday, Oct 27, 2011 at 11:01

Thursday, Oct 27, 2011 at 11:01
Thanks for that Grinner, funnily enough the antenna is working perfectly at the moment without the wingman attached. I just have not got around to attaching it. The most of my frustration came on Sunday night having made myself comfortable in the annexe cold beer etc and turned on the set to watch the world cup final. Had every channel bar the channels broadcasting the game. Talk about a letdown at the end of the day.

We are thinking of trading the van and upgrading at the moment,so I may just put most of my energies into ensuring we have the latest in the new one.
Regards
Jim
FollowupID: 742934

Sponsored Links