Lake Eyre water

Submitted: Thursday, Oct 27, 2011 at 13:57
ThreadID: 89768 Views:2163 Replies:8 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Can anyone tell me about the water in Lake Eyre and bird life. Is there water there and how long is it expected to stay. Any bird life?

Thanks

Wato
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: OzTroopie - Thursday, Oct 27, 2011 at 14:27

Thursday, Oct 27, 2011 at 14:27
Hi Wato,

I was up that way during the October long weekend. We stayed at Coward Springs and William Creek, doing the drive in to ABC and Halligan Bay. From the carpark/campground at Halligan Bay, it was an approximatly 400m walk out to the water, which was 5-10cm cm deep. No bird life visible from this location. Wind direction will influence how deep the water is in a particular spot, at a certain time. Though with evaporation, the water won't be there for much longer.

The best way to see the Lake is definatly from the air, though i'm glad my group made the effort to do the drive out to Halligan Bay.

For info on the recent status/ water levels in Lake Eyre check out the Lake Eyre Yacht Club website

http://www.lakeeyreyc.com/Status/latest.html

Other Exploroz users may also be able to provide some info from their travels.

Cheers,

Nick
AnswerID: 468639

Reply By: Member - John and Val - Thursday, Oct 27, 2011 at 14:29

Thursday, Oct 27, 2011 at 14:29
Hi Wato,

Have a look here

Cheers,

Val
J and V
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 468640

Reply By: RobAck - Thursday, Oct 27, 2011 at 19:55

Thursday, Oct 27, 2011 at 19:55
Check out the Wright Air website or give Trevor a call. They know all

RobA
AnswerID: 468664

Reply By: Member - iijmartin - Thursday, Oct 27, 2011 at 20:58

Thursday, Oct 27, 2011 at 20:58
Hi wato35,
We flew over to Lake Eyre from Arkaroola early October and were told by Doug (pilot) not to expect bird life in Lake Eyre. The birds move on as the salt increases.
We only saw one group of pelicans. The pink coloured saline water was spectacular from the air.
If you want to see birdlife, other inland lakes or even the Coopers Creek, if it is still running would be better.
Cheers,
Ian
AnswerID: 468674

Reply By: Willykj - Thursday, Oct 27, 2011 at 22:03

Thursday, Oct 27, 2011 at 22:03
We did a flight from Birdsville on 14th August over to Lake Eyre. Then drove down the Birdsville Track to Cooper Creek. At that stage the Cooper 2011 flood was just about to reach Lake Eyre.
Did a 20 min slideshow & it is on YouTube at:-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R2zqCq32VjE
It covers the flight & The Cooper at the ferry & the Track. May be of interest,
Willy
AnswerID: 468682

Reply By: homevale - Thursday, Oct 27, 2011 at 23:43

Thursday, Oct 27, 2011 at 23:43
We drove into Halligans Bay from William Creek in late September, and saw plenty of water, but very few birds. The water was receding and with that it is getting saltier. There were lots of dead fish on the high water mark.
If you you do intend to ever drive into Halligans bay, be warned as the road is very bad as it carries a lot of traffic and is only a Pastoral Access Road. Allow at least 2 hours to travel the 63 kms if you are not in a hurry. The campsite at Halligan Bay is worth the visit.
AnswerID: 468692

Reply By: Simon (NT) - Friday, Oct 28, 2011 at 01:05

Friday, Oct 28, 2011 at 01:05
I was over there in April and the water was only 10 to 20 metres from the bottom of the grassed area at Halligan Bay.. it was magnificent and there were HEAPS of birds, it was truly awesome.

Let me see if I can find the pics..

Right, to save a LOT of reposting there is a HEAP of info about the trip here... this also includes a lot of pics from that trip and locations where we stayed etc, one of the pics is sunrise with a lot of birds flying overhead, very beautiful.
AnswerID: 468697

Reply By: Member - Steve & Cecily W (QLD - Friday, Oct 28, 2011 at 15:58

Friday, Oct 28, 2011 at 15:58
We flew over L Eyre & Cooper Crk in Late September. Went from Lyndhurst. The birds had gone by then. Pilot said it was the salt and or algae. We did see pelicans over Cooper Crk though. The punt was still very much in operation and looked as though that would be the case for quite some time as the road crossing downstream was still well under.
The view from the air was fabulous, particularly the different colours due to salt and algal blooms. Almost as spectacular was the view of the northern Flinders Ranges - unreal formations!
Haven't stopped smiling!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 468746

Sponsored Links