Working your way around OZ!

Submitted: Sunday, Oct 30, 2011 at 16:47
ThreadID: 89822 Views:2722 Replies:6 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Hi guys, I was asked in a previous thread if I could provide further info on how my wife and I have gone about working our way around OZ for the last few years for the benefit of others who may be thinking about doing the same thing. I am definately no expert but I will share what I know and how we have gone about it as it may be of interest to some. Firstly I will say that we have worked in NSW, SA, WA and QLD and now WA again and our working times have been some of the best times we have had. We have met the real locals instead of just the travellers at camp sites etc and really experienced places and what it's like to live there and be part of the community. We have also made many great friends who we regularly keep in contact with and visit and who always offer us a place to stay when we are in their neck of the woods and them in ours. We would never have met any of these great people had we not stopped and worked in their town. I am blessed in a way that my wife is a nurse and nursing work is in high demand all over the country. I am a sheetmetal worker/welder which is also handy but not nearly as much. When we first left we would simply travel until we started getting low on cash and then stop wherever we were and start looking for work (knocking on doors, looking at notice boards etc). This was not an effective technique as often there is only 1 hospital/workshop etc and if there was no jobs and we were low on cash it could be quite stressful. We soon learned that organising work in advance was the best/easiest/least stress approach. Nowadays we finish a working stint, look how much money we have saved, workout roughly how long until we have to work again and then look at the map and decide roughly where we will be at that time. Our first port of call is to email/phone any hospitals etc in the area and see if nursing work is available in say 3 months or whatever, usually this is a yes and they will email an employment contract straight back after some reference checks. Then we meander our way there enjoying life with the comfort of knowing that when we get low on cash we have work organised. I then just look for work when we get there and I don't always find welding jobs but there is always something around and whilst we have one income it is not stressful and I have always found work within 2 weeks, often 1. Everywhere we have worked we have been asked to stay and it has been sad to leave. When we are deciding where to work next we base our decision solely on which area of the country we want to see and spend time in and not "where the work is" or "where they're paying well", if we did that we would have spent all our time in Karratha/Hedland/Kalgoorlie etc which does not interest us at all and I believe if we did that we would probably have gone home by now. I have also found that areas where there is apparently "heaps of work" we have had more trouble finding it than when I just pick a town at random in an area we would like to spend some time. Often they jump at the opportunity to employ fresh faces in town. Overall we have found WA and QLD to pay the best in our respective trades and SA the worst but in saying this we have spent nearly 12 months in SA altogether because we love it, from the Flinders to the coastline of the Western Eyre Peninsula. We have not used any job finding websites and the few I have joined just bombard me with useless emails. Just decide where you want to be when, and pick up the phone or shoot off some emails. This is how we go about it anyway and it has been working so far. We just arrived in Esperance after doing the Birdsville Track/Googs Track/Anne Beadell, where we had lined up work for Nicole at the Hospital (she starts next week) whilst we were still working up in North Qld. I will start looking for work next week. Anyhow, I hope some of this info has been helpful to somebody. Happy travels. Luke and Nicole (and Peggy our 9yo staffy)
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Josh- Sunday, Oct 30, 2011 at 17:05

Sunday, Oct 30, 2011 at 17:05
Good write up Luke. Lots of great info. Have to agree, employment agencies are worth much. I think the trick is always look for work, not just when you need it. Locals know more about jobs than the agencies do. Sometimes you need to take a job that you wouldn't normally do to get in with the locals to get onto something better. I think employers are used to getting bludgers from the agencies so as you say, knock on doors, make phone calls, drop in resumes. Show you are keen.
In one place I started helping do a reno on a house, then some locals saw me working hard and asked me to help with their sheep. I ended up with so much work I could pick.
In Roxby Downs I started helping a guy finishing some transportables he moved there, then ended up manging a landscape bussiness. Neither of which I went there for, but that's what worked out.
You are right about not working for the money but because it gets you into an area to see this country. When I left Roxby I got offered huge money to stay on, but I didn't head off on our trip to work in Roxby the rest of my life.
By the way Luke, I love your choice of vehicle, we did our trip in an 80 series and loved it.

Josh
AnswerID: 468877

Reply By: Tjukayirla Roadhouse - Sunday, Oct 30, 2011 at 17:24

Sunday, Oct 30, 2011 at 17:24
good post Luke.
Serena and I have been doing the work around Aus thing for over 11 years now, and as you say, it is the only way to really get to know a place and the people that live there, and likewise, we have made many friends over the years that we still stay in touch with.
We have used a slightly different approach, where we don't really care what work we do, we have done everything from resort work, to Station work, to Tour operations, running camel tours, to running Roadhouses .. and everything in between. Our stints last anywhere between 3 months to 2 years.
Saying that, we are now slowing down a bit, and our next move is going to involve getting all of our furniture from storage, and settling into a house for a while.
Cheers
Al
AnswerID: 468880

Reply By: gordon_adel - Sunday, Oct 30, 2011 at 17:26

Sunday, Oct 30, 2011 at 17:26
Hi Luke,

Sounds like you're having a good time living a nomadic ( i mean that in a very good way)life style.

Just curious, how do you go about super and saving for the future? Is that a concern? Not knowing your age group, it could be the way you're winding up 'working for a living' or doing it in the early stages of life.

Either way, enjoy yourselves. It's something I've certainly thought about have recent changes have made this probably a no go for me.
AnswerID: 468881

Follow Up By: Member - Joe n Mel n kids (FNQ - Sunday, Oct 30, 2011 at 21:38

Sunday, Oct 30, 2011 at 21:38
Hi guys ..... that is a very interesting question, i have come accross many that have asked that same question and i guess some put a lot of time and effort in to doing that, saving very hard for the "future" ..... we ourselfs are doing what most have spent there whole lives saving and working for and we take the "future" as it comes ......
Many years ago i won, yes WON a really big trip to Ayres Rock, Alice, Darwin/Kakadu?lichfield Park, Bali and back to Perth .......... on the trip to Kakadu i met many "mixed" people, most were at that time young international travellers and the only Aussies were old people who had saved very hard and had big supers and were living it up ... or so they said, they were far to old to enjoy it, they were still crawling there way down to each "sight" when we had seen it all and were on the way back to the tour bus, they complained bitterly about the heat, the distance to the sights, the pains they had ..... to say the least they were the laughing stock to the international visitors and really made my think hard ....... after seeing that within about 4 years i have packed up from my boring little country town and started moving around aussie, that was about 18 years ago, for the last 12 years i have been with Mel and kids and travelled far and wide, minimal savings and super at its basic rate ... and have yet to look back ............. yes i dont even own a house..
Cheers
FollowupID: 743220

Follow Up By: luke80 - Monday, Oct 31, 2011 at 00:24

Monday, Oct 31, 2011 at 00:24
Hi Gordon, good question. We're kind of inbetween the 2 categories. I'm 31 and my wife 28. We are fortunate enough that we bought a property in brisbane in 2004 which we rent out and it gets paid off by the tennants, so we do have an investment and a "home base". As far as super goes, everywhere we work we get paid super at the same rate as we would at home and still have the freedom to make the same voluntary contributions. When we were living in Bris, majority of both of our wages went to paying off the house and bills, and associated expenses such as 2 cars, a boat etc. social life, sport and the likes and we were never really amassing wealth in the bank just equity in the house. The way we live now, we are still getting the house payed off at the same rate (by the tennants) and have no where near as many bills. All our furniture, second car etc is in storage in a large shed on our block and we are still contributing to our super, although not quite as much as we are not working all year. So we are pretty much "getting ahead in life" at the same rate as we would be at home all whilst having great experiences and seeing this great country.
FollowupID: 743235

Reply By: caseh - Sunday, Oct 30, 2011 at 17:48

Sunday, Oct 30, 2011 at 17:48
Hi Luke, thanks for posting.
my only remark would be to please hit the "enter" button on your keyboard every now and again. It would make for easier reading.
Apart from that, all good. cheers, Case
AnswerID: 468883

Reply By: Motherhen - Sunday, Oct 30, 2011 at 20:59

Sunday, Oct 30, 2011 at 20:59
Hi Luke

How about putting that up in the Blog section where it will be easier for anyone in the future to find your valuable information. What a great life you and Nicole have chosen. I sometimes regret not taking that path when we were young, but at the time i thought touring was for retirement, and youth for having children (four children and eight soon to be nine grandchildren to tie us down now). Travelling and working would be so much easier before having children.

For those without the well sought qualifications that Luke and Nicole have, i have some hints of working on the way around:Finding work when travelling

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 468901

Reply By: Will 76 Series - Monday, Oct 31, 2011 at 21:29

Monday, Oct 31, 2011 at 21:29
Luke,

Timely post as my wife and I will be hitting the road for 12 months in 2013 and we are saving like mad now for the trip. We intend to just try and pick up odd jobs whilst on our travels to meet more people and enjoy locations.
I think after reading your post this is a great way to really see and feel the country by meeting the locals. I have saved your comments for future reference.
All the best.
Will
AnswerID: 468969

Follow Up By: luke80 - Tuesday, Nov 01, 2011 at 14:47

Tuesday, Nov 01, 2011 at 14:47
Good on you Will, you will love it mate. Yeah it is a totally different experience stopping and working in a place and becoming part of the community, even if only for a short while, than just driving along taking photo's etc and hanging out with other travellers at van parks/camp sites etc. Some places you look at and think this place looks like a dive! but after staying a while you grow to love the place and it's hard to leave. If you just drove through you would never know. Cheers
FollowupID: 743345

Sponsored Links