clunk noise arrrggghhhhh

Submitted: Friday, Dec 05, 2003 at 16:07
ThreadID: 8986 Views:1361 Replies:6 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Its only a noise when its raining ive pin pointed it but its as annoying as hell.
On my rear leafs, the shackle thats about 8 or so inches from each end (the u type bracket thats pressstudded onto the bottom of leaf) its seems that when they get wet its enough lube to let them grab then let go either when i turn or go over a bump or anything like that. My question is how the heck do i fix it ive tried grease and stuff but it still happens. Anyhelp would be great as im planning on going up home this weekend and i dont want to put up with it for 600kms.

Guy
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: howesy - Friday, Dec 05, 2003 at 17:09

Friday, Dec 05, 2003 at 17:09
Get a lever in on your spring and check that it's not a worn bush allowing the spring to move sideways on the bush. This can cause the noise that you describe. It wont cost you anything and will dispell one other possibility.If your not sure then most decent mechanics will check your bushes for you for nix but be careful as some bodgy dudes will tell you they need replacing when they don't so get them checked by several
AnswerID: 39526

Reply By: ron1 - Friday, Dec 05, 2003 at 17:44

Friday, Dec 05, 2003 at 17:44
i agree with howesy and there not that hard to change ur self mechanicly minded, and the bushes shouldnt cost to much, BUT the shackels them self maybe worn, if the rod that goes through the bushes is pited ,time to renew, .i did a few sets i think hi-lux were $28 each side (few years ago) and holden 1tonner around $20(few years ago) so wouldnt think they'd cost much more, (but then thats the beauty of parts depending on gen/to non gen, and some companys 4 some reason charge an arm and a leg for there parts ,take this rx7 i worked on the other day, idler arm ,non gen,$44.00, but genuin $142.00, go figure ,
best way help when putting ur new bushes in is to make sure you use a rubber grease and use it well, (should get it in a full shackle kit , probably not if just buying the bushes)
but worth doing befor your trip
god i ramble on when i get going lol
cheers guys
run
AnswerID: 39529

Reply By: Eric Experience. - Friday, Dec 05, 2003 at 22:12

Friday, Dec 05, 2003 at 22:12
Johny.
Sounds interesting, I have worked on tritons for years but have never heard a niose from the spring clamps. If the leaves are moving in relation to each other then the U bolts must be loose, have a look at the spot where top leaf contacts the axle housing to note if there is any movement. Eric.
AnswerID: 39543

Follow Up By: jonny knowalittlebit - Friday, Dec 05, 2003 at 22:19

Friday, Dec 05, 2003 at 22:19
Eric how abou this one!!!
Ive got a 99 gls and everynow and again the "wheel lock" light comes on
This happens without the ute going into 4wd as a matter of fact it doesnt even go near dirt. Im guessing its a loose solinoid but where do i look?
Any help would be great
Guy
FollowupID: 257234

Reply By: Eric Experience. - Friday, Dec 05, 2003 at 22:37

Friday, Dec 05, 2003 at 22:37
Jonny,
You have got me with this one I don't know what a "'wheel lock" light is for, are you sure that is the correct name, if it is it must relate to abs. Eric.
AnswerID: 39545

Follow Up By: jonny knowalittlebit - Monday, Dec 08, 2003 at 19:07

Monday, Dec 08, 2003 at 19:07
nahh its not the abs its when i move the 4wdrive stick from 2wheel to either 4h or 4l it locks the hubs i then have to move it back to 2h then turn the car off to get the hubs to unlock.
Its a little green light next to the engine system check light.
Guy
FollowupID: 257352

Reply By: duncs - Friday, Dec 05, 2003 at 22:38

Friday, Dec 05, 2003 at 22:38
Johnny

A week ago I'd have said move to Broken Hill cause it never rains up here. That was a week ago this week it's done a fair bit of raining so I guess I can't help you.

Duncs
AnswerID: 39546

Reply By: Rowdy - Saturday, Dec 06, 2003 at 18:38

Saturday, Dec 06, 2003 at 18:38
Hi jonny knowalittlebit
I have had a similar clunk in two different vehicles. The noise comes from the shackle bushes but only appeared after replacing the original rubber bushes with nolathan or similar bushes. It is only evident after rain and when loading the suspension sideways in corners. In both cases the shackle pins had some corrosion
on them but being a bit of a tight ar## I didn't replace the pins so that may be the cause of the noise. Does'nt seem to be a problem mechanically but it is annoying when wet.
Rowdy
AnswerID: 39573

Sponsored Links