gq steering dampers

Submitted: Friday, Dec 05, 2003 at 16:21
ThreadID: 8987 Views:2131 Replies:2 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hello all
Does any one know why nissen changed steering damper type around 9th month 89
on th gq patrol. mine is a 9th month 89 and has double eye. later have double pin.
Found it abit hard trying to get a heavy duty. Was also told they were recalled about this time reguarding the drag link. Any have more info on this subject??
Thanks in avance
bb
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: duncs - Friday, Dec 05, 2003 at 22:51

Friday, Dec 05, 2003 at 22:51
BB

Can't help you with the damper but I had a problem with the drag link.

The castle nut and split pin stripped off mine aloowing the ball joint at the wheel end to jump out. No steering.

I was out near Lake Eyre at the time and called into the local staion owner for some help in fixing the problem.

He was running GQ table tops as work trucks at the time and said he had had a problem with two of his vehicles breaking the ball joint and losing the steering. His both went at about 240k mine at about 315k.

The repair in the bush was only temp. When I got home I did the rounds of the wreckers trying to find a replacement. Without fail they all had a wear mark on the ball joint caused by the shoulder on the drag link. You will only see the mark if you remove the drag link and pull the rubber boot back.

I believe that at full lock they rub and eventually cut through the ball joint. Hey presto the car has a will of its own. If your GQ has over about 200k I'd check it out cause it is not a nice feeling. I was lucky mine went at low speed in soft sand and I stopped pretty quick without causing any harm. At highway speed.... lets not go there.

Duncs
AnswerID: 39548

Reply By: Hero - Monday, Dec 08, 2003 at 09:04

Monday, Dec 08, 2003 at 09:04
You will find that the steering damper change is catalogued to have happened at 8th month 89, it may be that yours was built in 8th month, badged in 9th month, who knows, good luck finding a heavier duty damper, you could possibly reweld mounts onto a damper.
AnswerID: 39641

Sponsored Links