winches

Submitted: Friday, Dec 05, 2003 at 20:24
ThreadID: 8992 Views:1624 Replies:2 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
any experiences on using a come-a -long or lever hoist to pull your truck backwards or sideways ?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Willem - Friday, Dec 05, 2003 at 21:37

Friday, Dec 05, 2003 at 21:37
Whatever you do with hand winches it is bloody hard work. So if you are a young fella and quite fit then there is nothing stopping you winching backwards or sideways.

Have winched sideways with an electric winch and it works well. Have also winched backwards with the cable under the vehicle with an electric winch....had to put a twig or two under the body to protect fuel tank etc.

You can make any winch work in any direction....just depends on how determined you are.

Cheers,
Willem

Always going somewhere
AnswerID: 39540

Follow Up By: Member Colin - NSW Bungendore - Saturday, Dec 06, 2003 at 00:15

Saturday, Dec 06, 2003 at 00:15
Willem
Re winching sideways
I just replied to another post here (about getting bogged) and said that my experience in winching sideways resulted in breaking the side rollers!
The troopy was quite heavy when we got bogged with full fuel and water tanks plus all our gear. The boggy soil was like wet cement so I suppose it was a bit beyond what the rollers were designed for!?
Subaru Forester
"size isn't everything"
FollowupID: 257239

Follow Up By: Willem - Saturday, Dec 06, 2003 at 23:22

Saturday, Dec 06, 2003 at 23:22
Colin,
No, I have not broken any rollers yet! I will admit that the four or five times I have had to winch sideways I was driving lighter 4bies. The thing is to help the vehicle along if winching sideways by applying a slow bit of throttle. Depend of course what sort of winch anchors you have at your disposal at the time. Once at night I ended up on a ledge balancing the vehicle delicately, with a 5 metre drop off and the closest tree was behind the drivers door. I ran the cable against the side of the front wheel(with the wheel on full lock) to reach the tree and very gently inched the vehicle away from danger. My passenger was a mess!! We got out of trouble and camped where we were in the vehicle with the cable still tied to the tree!!
Cheers,
Willem

Always going somewhere
FollowupID: 257266

Reply By: bluehealer - Saturday, Dec 06, 2003 at 19:49

Saturday, Dec 06, 2003 at 19:49
to wilhem how do you rig up to pull backwards with an electric winch without taking it of the bullbar ,i have a ifs hilux,saw a set up years ago on a sahara desert bus ,had some sort of extra pulley set up on the front and a clearway from front to back for the cable ,that was back in 1974 cant remember a lot
AnswerID: 39577

Follow Up By: Willem - Saturday, Dec 06, 2003 at 23:11

Saturday, Dec 06, 2003 at 23:11
Mate I have a real old truck with my winch rollers quite low down. A couple of tree branches underneath and one can do the winch job. You can do anything if you really want to. Have even had to straighten a draglink using that method. Maybe with the modern 4by itis not possible.
Cheers,
Willem

Always going somewhere
FollowupID: 257265

Sponsored Links