Winegard <span class="highlight">antenna</span> any good for DVBT?

Submitted: Sunday, Dec 18, 2011 at 19:22
ThreadID: 90712 Views:1984 Replies:2 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
hi folks
got a new old camper that has a proud round and fat winegard antenna on the roof, just
where I need to place two solar panels.
No TV yet, so I can't test it. Are those antennas any help for better digital reception, or
can I kick that thing down.
Are there any active digital antennas on the market?
Years ago I used one in my apartment which was working quite good.

Any ideas or experiences, all welcome

Chris

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: snailbait (Blue mntns) - Monday, Dec 19, 2011 at 08:35

Monday, Dec 19, 2011 at 08:35
Yes they are a very good for digital reception . They have a add on bit that receives Horizontal as well as vertical signal. you may have to upgrade the cable to a digital RG 75 ohm QUAD cable for the antenna. Digital signal is very suseptal to interference
Terry
Life MEMBER snailbait Oberon HF RADIO CLUB VKE237 mobile 7661

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 472868

Follow Up By: 184 - Monday, Dec 19, 2011 at 09:17

Monday, Dec 19, 2011 at 09:17
Thanks Terry, great help. I checked for the cable already,
will work my way around the antenna
FollowupID: 747684

Reply By: The Bantam - Monday, Dec 19, 2011 at 09:47

Monday, Dec 19, 2011 at 09:47
This whole "digital antenna" thing is a crock.

They tried this one when colour came in too...."Engineered For Colour".

If the aerial worked well for analogue TV it will work for digital...if it was a peice of crap on analogue it will be a piece of crap on digital.

One of the issues both in the transition from B&W to colour and analogue to digital, is that people would sit there and look at a crappy picture in the previous format, but the next format just made the existing crap look worse.

Colour would come and go where the B&W produced a consistent crappy picture.......analogue will produce a consistent crappy picture but digital will keep blue screening or having decoding problems.

truth is in some situations digital will produce a better picture with the same aerial than analogue.

Truth is I can point out several old B&W areial designs that will blow more recent aerials away in the correct application..the box kite, the airway, the 1080.

BUT....ya do need an aerial with solid UHF performance, particularly in the regions, as outside the capital cities the majority of the Digital TV will be carried on UHF.

cheers
AnswerID: 472881

Sponsored Links