Rewiring 12 volt 3 way fridge in campervan

Submitted: Monday, Jan 02, 2012 at 22:28
ThreadID: 90972 Views:9163 Replies:2 FollowUps:18
This Thread has been Archived
Hi,
I have an old Nissan Urvan with an Electrolux rm210 3 way fridge. It works fine on 240v however, it does not do much on 12 volt when driving.
I have checked the wiring. It is wired to the car battery and only has power if the ignition is on and is also wired up to a switch on the dash. The cable used is tiny.

I have tried to research how to get these fridges working well on 12 volt, I cannot find an installation guide on this model fridge and have found all sorts of info on the web, I assume the main issue to fix would be the voltage drop with the inadequate cable. I will replace the tiny cables with 6mm b&s (what does b&s mean?)

1. Should I wire the fridge to the aux battery in the back of the van close to fridge or wire it up to the car battery?
2. Can someone describe how it should be wired? Where to put fuses or circuit breakers, what size?
3. Whats the best way to connect the 6mm b&s to the small 12 volt terminals on the fridge?

Any help greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Ross M - Tuesday, Jan 03, 2012 at 00:04

Tuesday, Jan 03, 2012 at 00:04
If you want the fridge to work as well as it can then all wiring to the fridge and any aux battery must be heavy. The idea is to avoid VD in the circuit and Voltage Drop, even just a little bit, will cut down the cooling performance of your fridge. The heat value from the 12v heat source in the fridge is nowhere near the output of heat from the 240v or gas. Gas being the best of the three. The 12v heater if working properly will only just hold it cooling and may not even freeze even in good cool situations.
Whatever you do make sure you test the battery voltage at the battery and then test it at the fridge terminals/lead with the fridge operating this will ive you some idea if things are ok.
These things cause a 10amp load on the battery so will need the said wire size and will flatten a std car battery pronto if ever left on and engine not running.
The switch you use would be better used to operate a relay which transfers the volts/amps more directly to the fridge from the battery.
Eg. With the engine running and battery at 13.5v approx you should not have less than 12.5 at your fridge input if you want it to go well.

Regards,

Ross m
AnswerID: 473915

Follow Up By: teds01 - Tuesday, Jan 03, 2012 at 09:03

Tuesday, Jan 03, 2012 at 09:03
Hi Ross M,
Thanks for the reply!
The fridge is currently powered up from the car battery, is only powered when ignition is on and if a switch on the dash is on. It is a long wheel base van so I'd need probably 6 metres of 6mm b&s neg and pos cable each. The battery for the car is a very cheap starting battery, but does the job of starting the car fine.
The aux battery sits a metre from the fridge at the back, and is a large commercial 960cca battery (not deep cycle) as it needs to be maintained from my alternator.

1. Should I power the fridge from the aux or car battery?

2. When trying to run the fridge while driving the other day, I noticed the car battery volt meter slowly dropping from a charge of approx 14 volts down to 12 volts, is that normal?

Thanks for your input!
FollowupID: 748759

Follow Up By: Ross M - Tuesday, Jan 03, 2012 at 11:32

Tuesday, Jan 03, 2012 at 11:32
If the engine is running and the fridge is on AND the car battery voltage plummets down near 12v, I would think the alternator some a blown diode in its rectifier or the alternator regulator is not making the alt make full charge output.

If the car battery voltage does/can reach 14 or so in normal operation then it is most likely the a diode in the rectifier plates.

When running, the alt should easily be able to hold 13.8-14v with a 10 amp load on it.

Ross M
FollowupID: 748764

Follow Up By: oldtrack123 - Tuesday, Jan 03, 2012 at 11:35

Tuesday, Jan 03, 2012 at 11:35
Hi Teds
[1]You should supply it the CAR battery
The current set up of ignition control is OK
DO NOT feed fridge from the AUX battery ,you will affect its rate of charge AND final state of charge[SOC]
But you do need heavy cable, 6b&s mininum, [that has a COPPER core dia of 4.11 mm]
If all is correct, with engine running @ fast idle you should have in excess of 12.6v@ the fridge when the fridge is operating, The Fridge 12v element in that fridge IS the same wattage as the 240v element [AS are most Dometics]
It will work just as effectively as the 240v ,IF it recieves the CORRECT voltage
The Majority do not work as effectively on 12v due to inadequate wiring
{2]NO, that is not normal
The al;ternator should be able to maintain the voltage around 13 plus volts
Perhaps a faulty regulator ,alternator
OR bad battery connections or battery
First step, take them off & clean
A direct check of voltage @ the battery may reveal where the problem lies
Peter
FollowupID: 748765

Follow Up By: oldtrack123 - Tuesday, Jan 03, 2012 at 11:42

Tuesday, Jan 03, 2012 at 11:42
Hi Teds
Edit [1]You should supply it from the CAR battery
The present set up of ignition control is OK, if via a relay, which I would expect it is.
How is the Aux bat seperated from the car battery???

Peter
FollowupID: 748766

Follow Up By: teds01 - Tuesday, Jan 03, 2012 at 14:15

Tuesday, Jan 03, 2012 at 14:15
Hi Ross and Peter,

I'll try and run 6b&s cable to the fridge next and then have the alternator looked at. It slowly drops down to just above 12volts when driving with the fridge on.

It looks like the cable becomes quite thin at the switch on the dash. If I have no or little voltage drop at the switch, then I will try and run the new cable from the switch in the dash, would that be ok? Just seems easier then trying to trace the cable behind the dash and to the car battery behind/under the drivers seat.

Peter: The Aux battery is separated via some sort of relay/isolator. It seems to do the job.

What is the best way to connect the large 6b&s cable to the tiny wiring/terminals at the fridge?

Thanks!
FollowupID: 748771

Follow Up By: oldtrack123 - Tuesday, Jan 03, 2012 at 14:43

Tuesday, Jan 03, 2012 at 14:43
Hi Teds
REQuote
[1] looks like the cable becomes quite thin at the switch on the dash. If I have no or little voltage drop at the switch, then I will try and run the new cable from the switch in the dash, would that be ok? Just seems easier then trying to trace the cable behind the dash and to the car battery behind/under the drivers seat.

[2] The Aux battery is separated via some sort of relay/isolator. It seems to do the job.

[3]What is the best way to connect the large 6b&s cable to the tiny wiring/terminals at the fridge? End quoye]

[1]I would expect that tiny wire is supplying a relay coil for the Fridge
If so, THAT is Ok ,but you need to find the relay & run the 6B&S Positve from the battery, into one side of the relay contacts & the other side out to the fridge
[2]Good
[3]It is Ok to reduce to a smaller size to fit terminals
Either solder some smaller wire on ,keeping as short as possible or cut back some strands of the 6B&S cable

One point, if not already fused with a 10<15amp fuse near the battery you should do so in the pos of the 6B&S
You will need a good heavy duty fuse holder

Peter
FollowupID: 748773

Follow Up By: teds01 - Tuesday, Jan 03, 2012 at 14:51

Tuesday, Jan 03, 2012 at 14:51
Great, thanks for the info. Should be enough to get me started!

I'm pretty sure there is a fuse for the fridge in the fuse box... I'm pretty sure all the wiring and the fuse box has been modified earlier at some stage. Will check though.

Will let you know how I get on.
Cheers!
FollowupID: 748774

Follow Up By: teds01 - Tuesday, Jan 03, 2012 at 17:14

Tuesday, Jan 03, 2012 at 17:14
Hi,
Just a quick update, I tested the voltage at the fridge terminals, with the car at idle I got a reading of 12.4v and approx 12.8v with some revs.

Is that adequate power to the fridge?

If so, thinking the 12v element may need replacing?
Thanks,
Peter
FollowupID: 748785

Follow Up By: oldtrack123 - Tuesday, Jan 03, 2012 at 18:02

Tuesday, Jan 03, 2012 at 18:02
Hi Teds
If that is with the fridge switched on & running, then That shpuld be Ok it must have fairly heavy wires
Check again, Then,try turning the FRIDGE "'OFF' AT THE FRDGE & see what the voltage rises to
If the voltage does not rise to the same as the battery crank voltage something is wrong
Lets Know what you get
You should come back with 3 voltages
[1] At Fridge,engine @ fast idle, fridge switched on & RUNNING
[2] AT fridge,Engine still running & fridge switched "off" at fridge
[3 At crank battery,]Engine still running ,fridge still 'off @ the fridge ,'Crank battery voltage

Peter
Do them as close together as possible[time wise]
FollowupID: 748788

Follow Up By: oldtrack123 - Tuesday, Jan 03, 2012 at 18:38

Tuesday, Jan 03, 2012 at 18:38
Hi Teds

One other test while you have the fridge on & doing test [1]
If you can get to the 12V elementcheck the voltage @ it's power in [the centre wire in the sheath & the sheath itself
This will help to show if there is any problem with the thermostat or the selector switch.
Peter

MAKE SURE ALL 240V IS DISCONNECTED
FollowupID: 748790

Follow Up By: teds01 - Tuesday, Jan 03, 2012 at 21:35

Tuesday, Jan 03, 2012 at 21:35
Hi Peter,
Thanks again for your help!

1. At Fridge, fast idle, fridge on = 9.7 volts
2. At fridge, Engine running, fridge off = 9.45 volts
3. At crank battery, engine running, fridge off = (idle)13.98 volts (fast idle)14.07 volts.

I was unable to test the thermostat or selector switch at this point.

Looks like the cabling is too small!

It looks like the fridge is piggy backed off of the cigarette lighter, I do not think there is an individual relay.

Would I wire up the fridge in the following way:

1. Using 6mm b&s connect the positive to the cranking battery to a 15 amp inline fuse.
2. From the fuse connect to a relay.... need instructions on how to wire up a relay!
3. from relay to positive terminal on fridge.
4. connect the negative from the battery terminal to the relay and then to the negative on the fridge......

Will that work?

I will not bother with the switch in the dash, will probably use it for something else, maybe to power some fans for circulation around the fridge or something?

Thanks again!
FollowupID: 748811

Follow Up By: teds01 - Tuesday, Jan 03, 2012 at 21:59

Tuesday, Jan 03, 2012 at 21:59
Just read up on wiring relays, I think I'll tap into the ignition circuit to power the relay... is that the way to go, so the fridge can only obtain 12v power when the car is running/ignition is on.

How does that sound?

I'm not sure if I'll need a switch after the relay to control power to the fridge either....

FollowupID: 748817

Follow Up By: oldtrack123 - Wednesday, Jan 04, 2012 at 17:29

Wednesday, Jan 04, 2012 at 17:29
Hi Teds
No wonder it does not work

Re "
2. At fridge, Engine running, fridge off = 9.45 volts
3. At crank battery, engine running, fridge off = (idle)13.98 volts (fast idle)14.07 volts

2]something is seriously wrong if you only get 9.45v with the fridge 'off"
& engine running
it should be virtually the same as the crank battery
Not just wiring size, something else must be on the same circuit
Perhaps .That will be the aux battery which I suspect is cactus/finished
Can you check the aux battry voltage ?
Engine running & engine not running voltage", no load on aux battery in both cases
Do you have a charger? try recharging the AUX ,if voltage is low

[3] Is OK, alternator does not seem to be a problem

Wiring the relay :-
Take that line you already have from ignition switch to one side of the relay coil[only needs light cable ]
from the other end of the coil, take a small negitive to earth
Take a heavy positive wire from battery pos to fuse [heavy duty 20amp blade type] to one side of the relay contacts
Take another heavy wire from the other side of the relay contacts to the fridge pos via whatever plugs are needed
The relay needs to be heavy duty continuous rated such as a horn relay [jaycar part #Sy-4068
Peter
The relay should have the terminals marked

Peter
FollowupID: 748907

Follow Up By: teds01 - Wednesday, Jan 04, 2012 at 17:37

Wednesday, Jan 04, 2012 at 17:37
Hi Peter,

Thanks for the reply.

I noticed that the fridge is piggy backed off the cigarette lighter socket! That may have also added to the problem.

I have ordered some 6b&s cabling and will wire it how you have outlined.

Will let you know how it goes!

Thanks
FollowupID: 748908

Follow Up By: teds01 - Thursday, Jan 12, 2012 at 21:40

Thursday, Jan 12, 2012 at 21:40
I have wired up the fridge with 6b&s cable, this has fixed the voltage drop.

At the battery with a fast idle: 14.10 volts
At the fridge with a fast idle, fridge on: 13.7 volts.

A big improvement in regards to less voltage drop, however went for a quick drive with the fridge on to see if it will cool. After about five or so minutes, the voltmeter for the cranking battery slowly drops down to 12 volts. When I switch the fridge off it slowly climbs back up to 14 or so volts.

Is this normal? Ross had mentioned that the alternator may have faulty diodes? Will take it to an auto elec tomorrow and have them test it.

Cheers
FollowupID: 749724

Follow Up By: oldtrack123 - Thursday, Jan 12, 2012 at 21:56

Thursday, Jan 12, 2012 at 21:56
Hi
Sorry for the late follow up
You may have your problem sorted
But I would suspect you have two problems

A stuffed Aux battery& possibly crank from being pulled down to >,10v volts Also your isolator is faulty or wired wrong, it should not allow the crank to be pulled down below aroungd 12.4<12.6 v
Peter
FollowupID: 749725

Follow Up By: teds01 - Thursday, Jan 12, 2012 at 22:25

Thursday, Jan 12, 2012 at 22:25
Hi Peter,
You weren't late at all, only just posted an update less than an hour ago. What makes you think the aux battery is stuffed?
The fridge is powered off the crank battery, I'm pretty sure the aux battery has been charging fine and has not been drained much.
Not sure why the cranking battery starts to drain when the fridge is switched on the car is running.
FollowupID: 749727

Reply By: member - mazcan - Tuesday, Jan 03, 2012 at 00:18

Tuesday, Jan 03, 2012 at 00:18
hi teds 01
go onto
www.caravansplus.com.au
in that website you will find repair diagrams for all sorts of things including fridges
its a great site
i only found it by chance the other day although i realise i'm probably well behind everyone else
cheers
barry
AnswerID: 473917

Follow Up By: teds01 - Tuesday, Jan 03, 2012 at 09:06

Tuesday, Jan 03, 2012 at 09:06
Hi Barry,

Having a browse now, thanks for the link!
FollowupID: 748760

Sponsored Links