Sheared Stub Axle on new Xtrail Camper

Submitted: Tuesday, Jan 03, 2012 at 10:51
ThreadID: 90980 Views:7076 Replies:12 FollowUps:9
This Thread has been Archived
It was the evening of Christmas day and we had just setup camp at Talbotville.

Getting dark, light rain but finally we were relaxing round the campfire when my mate running a couple of hours behind us, came limping into camp dragging his near new (1 yr old) Xtrail off-road camper trailer
minus 1 wheel and suspension after the 50mm square solid steel stub axle had simply sheared right through a couple of km up the track.

Image Could Not Be Found
Image Could Not Be Found
Image Could Not Be Found

In the wet slippery conditions his tow car a GU Patrol came very close to going right over the edge of this steep narrow mountain road.

It would have been almost certain death and I can tell you it shocked a few people to the core to see just how close iit had been.

The track into Talbotville had recently had a light grade and was wet when a servre drag suddenly slewed his car across the narrow track
and my mate saw the some 70kg of wheel, brake assembly and stub axle fly over the back of the car and go straight over the edge.

The car bucked and swung back slewing again as the broken end of the suspension dug into the track.

The Patrol ended up with one front wheel right on the near vertical track edge sinking into the soft dirt and displacing a few rocks which crashed down the valley.

This track is narrow and was now fully blocked, there were no options but to try and drag the trailer 2km down to our camp

This left quite a gouge in the road , and in bad conditions we worked to get the trailer stabilized with
chain sawed logs etc so that at least it could be setup and slept in.

By 11pm the we were back around the camp fire discussing options - the quiet start to our holidays seemed a long way away.

Next morning we got on our bikes to inspect the scene with little hope of finding the bits as it was steep and a 600ft drop to the river below.

But there was good luck amongst the bad and the flying wheel had struck a tree full on and slid to the treebase where my son discovered it only 30m down the slope.

The side of the road up there though is made from dirt rocks and debris pushed over the edge and is difficult to stand on let alone work on, two years ago I had taken someone else to hospital after trying to negotiate it.

We took a car back and with 3 helpers I went over the edge on a with a winch cable support and we were able
to winch up the twisted 70kg mess dislodging loose road material on the way.

Back at camp we determined the break was a near straight fracture right through the axle centre and we could attempt to repair it on site.

We had my brother, an expert bush welder with us and another mate, a professional welder arriving that day, he was forewarned to bring extra weld rods and a proper welding mask.

It took some hours with hand files and hand hacksaw to prepare the bits, and took me some time to setup a 3 battery 36v welding setup.

We had the whole assembly cooking in the campfire the pre-heat the bits and help with getting a deeper weld penetration.

Image Could Not Be Found

Another couple of hours and my brother had put in welds that were better than the original and we added 4mm side plates to boot , I repaired the electric brake controller and with a few other minor fixes
we declared the trailer better than new and the real start to our holidays could begin.

Image Could Not Be Found

My welder friends had the following comments and go with the attached pictures.

The original weld was not carried thru to completion along 1 side leaving two welds ends.
Apparently this creates fracture points.
Had a full weld been done this whole sad event may not have happened.

Image Could Not Be Found

A close look at the pictures shows 3 distinct colour grades across the fractures.

It would appear a stress fracture began at one of the weld ends early in its life.
This fracture slowly worked its way through the 50mm steel.
The last section of steel about 1cm thru gave way suddenly caused the loss of the suspension assembly.

One picture here (number 38) shows an uncleaned pocket of slag in the steel at the corner.

Image Could Not Be Found

Using just our 36 volt battery the welding process penetrated easily and deep into the steel indicating weak or crystalline steel below.

This was an accident waiting to happen and there are some unhappy people out there.

Please have yours checked ASAP.
Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Ross M - Tuesday, Jan 03, 2012 at 12:01

Tuesday, Jan 03, 2012 at 12:01
Hmmm. Original welded by an Aussie with too much beer on board.
It is obvious that Xtrail don't inspect their welds or they know nothing, either way quality assurance is non existant.
Take it back to Xtrail and show them the quality which could have cost lives and you might get a brand new faulty one to replace the original.
That is called warranty.

Saw something similar at Kings Canyon NT where the same size axle broke off a Jayco outback camper trailer. The spring set was 9 leaves and short and sharp acting, not long and compliant. The sudden shock of corrugations on Mereenie loop was too much. Off Road rated though. Jayco didn't/doesn't know much about suspension compliance and soft ride. Although no sudden drop was involved they had to drag theirs 30km.

Regards

Ross M
AnswerID: 473937

Follow Up By: Robin Miller - Wednesday, Jan 04, 2012 at 18:29

Wednesday, Jan 04, 2012 at 18:29
I'm finally back on line (mostly)

When I saw the covered over weld slag as per the picture I got a bit worried also Ross.
Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 748912

Reply By: Member - John - Tuesday, Jan 03, 2012 at 12:04

Tuesday, Jan 03, 2012 at 12:04
Robin, just out of curiosity, what was the other side like?
John and Jan

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 473938

Follow Up By: Robin Miller - Wednesday, Jan 04, 2012 at 18:31

Wednesday, Jan 04, 2012 at 18:31
Hi John

seemed ok , but hard to tell
Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 748913

Reply By: patto - Tuesday, Jan 03, 2012 at 14:53

Tuesday, Jan 03, 2012 at 14:53
saw the exact same problem on an almost new XTrail camper only a few months ago about 60km north of William Creek on the Oodnadatta Rd but they were a lot less fortunate as the camper rolled and was completely destroyed as well as damage to their tow car as the trailer swang wildly from side to side hitting both sides of the rear before it eventually parted ways with the car and rolled
AnswerID: 473945

Follow Up By: Robin Miller - Wednesday, Jan 04, 2012 at 18:35

Wednesday, Jan 04, 2012 at 18:35
Wow , a second person with the same issue , hope they were not hurt.

I guess in our case the speeds were low and so less damage -provided the car didn't go over the edge which it almost did.
Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 748916

Reply By: Gone Bush (WA) - Tuesday, Jan 03, 2012 at 15:20

Tuesday, Jan 03, 2012 at 15:20
On their website they are asking for links to Forums that discuss their campers.

Suggest someone posts a link to this and see how long it lasts....

I'm glad I ain't too scared to be lazy
- Augustus McCrae (Lonesome Dove)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 473946

Follow Up By: Robin Miller - Wednesday, Jan 04, 2012 at 18:37

Wednesday, Jan 04, 2012 at 18:37
I just hope they take it seriously with the goal in mind to fix it Gone Bush, the report of asecond case above should worry most serious manufacturers.
Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 748918

Reply By: Crackles - Tuesday, Jan 03, 2012 at 16:15

Tuesday, Jan 03, 2012 at 16:15
What load rating do Xtrail give the trailer Robin & what load (real weight) do you reckon it was carrying? Pretty dissapointing buying what appears to be an otherwise sturdy indepedant offroad suspension that has failed in quite soft circumstances.
I'll check my trailer too as although it has a different axle setup I have some concern about the spring rate being stiff & transmitting too much shock.
Cheers Craig...........
AnswerID: 473950

Follow Up By: Robin Miller - Wednesday, Jan 04, 2012 at 18:49

Wednesday, Jan 04, 2012 at 18:49
Hi Craig

I do not know Xtrail specs but this trailer was relatively lightly loaded for just a 4 day short range trip.

Re You comment , my brother commented that this camper semed to have quite hard coil springs and I seperately checked the tyres which were only at 24psi

The track was soft and recently graded - so easy in fact that one of the kids bet $50 that there mate in a lowered commodore couldn't cross the lower river crossing - he did , but repairs will be more than the $50 bucks he won.
Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 748922

Reply By: Member - Craig F (WA) - Tuesday, Jan 03, 2012 at 16:17

Tuesday, Jan 03, 2012 at 16:17
I would agree that the is un acceptable. To say that the stop/starts on the weld contributed to the failure I would contest. A crater crack or lack of fusion will usually cause a rip in the steel. I would expect that pre and post heat to the 50mm steel has caused a flaw in the material (lamination at a guess) to escalate. Why does this happen? Cheap steel that has not passed QA.
There is a market and a place for these materials however not in a structural situation.
Labour cost are up. Materials up. yet camper trailers are getting cheaper. Unfortunately Most fabrication workshops with out engineering accountability would look at a 50mm solid square section and say "This will never break"
I work for a company that supplies very large 1000 ton machinery for mining industry and this sort of material is very common and small fab shops all use it.

As for the 36V I dare say the pre-heat is the cause of the deep fusion. I would also be carefull as the faulty material is still present and the excessive pre heat and I assume lack of post heat will not work in the best interest of the longevity of the steel.

On saying that a very successfull on the track repaire.

Regards
Craig
AnswerID: 473951

Follow Up By: Robin Miller - Wednesday, Jan 04, 2012 at 18:54

Wednesday, Jan 04, 2012 at 18:54
Thanks Craig

I don't know no enough about the subject to make my own comments on the weld stuff , but the steel sure looked as crystalline as the other recent post I put about about an alloy wheel splitting down the centre.

The trailer made it home on the bush weld so at least we recovered ok.
Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 748924

Reply By: Axle - Tuesday, Jan 03, 2012 at 20:43

Tuesday, Jan 03, 2012 at 20:43
G/Day Robin, You certainley attract some Dramas!...LOL.

Lucky to get out of that one!, In my opinion only ,there looks to be to much distance from where the axle is welded to the frame out to the outside of the wheel, it needed a guset on edge underneath from the backing plate to as far as they could get one.along the axle. Good luck, safe travels.

Cheers Axle.
AnswerID: 473983

Follow Up By: Robin Miller - Wednesday, Jan 04, 2012 at 19:14

Wednesday, Jan 04, 2012 at 19:14
Some of my friends do play a bit hard Axle , I think the wives see me as a steadying influence - However some faith has been lost after I badly dented my new car recently - but thats another story.

I had to promise that I wouldn't let the others go after the wheel as one broke his wrist on a similar mission 2 years ago , so thats why they are just similing at me down below on the other end of the winch rope with the dead lump of metal.

Image Could Not Be Found
Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 748927

Reply By: lancie49 - Tuesday, Jan 03, 2012 at 21:33

Tuesday, Jan 03, 2012 at 21:33
I'm certainly no metallurgist, but does that stub look as though it's been too hot on the brg surface ?
AnswerID: 473995

Follow Up By: Member - Andrew L (QLD) - Wednesday, Jan 04, 2012 at 06:55

Wednesday, Jan 04, 2012 at 06:55
Have a look at the 4th last photo and this quote above it..

"We had the whole assembly cooking in the campfire the pre-heat the bits and help with getting a deeper weld penetration. "

FollowupID: 748836

Reply By: Robin Miller - Wednesday, Jan 04, 2012 at 11:37

Wednesday, Jan 04, 2012 at 11:37
Hi Guys

Had major internet failure after posting this thread - so can't answer properly but I note at least another case of similar failure.

Sitting at Mcdonalds typing this and its taken 20 minutes to get this far with very slow response from exploroz site as well.

Will try to answer posts if I can get back on.

Robin

Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 474026

Reply By: Member - John - Wednesday, Jan 04, 2012 at 19:41

Wednesday, Jan 04, 2012 at 19:41
Thanks Robin.
John and Jan

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 474049

Reply By: Member - Dennis B (VIC) - Friday, Jan 06, 2012 at 12:19

Friday, Jan 06, 2012 at 12:19
Hi everyone
I was there at Talbotville & I am a indentured welder, there was cumulation of mistakes that were made in the welding of the axel. the axel was only welded on three of the faces which opens up the possibility of a crack starting from either the start or finish of a weld , usually the finish, the slag hole that was found could be another cause and the last undercutting on the weld and the parent metal during the welding process, the combination of all three would have been the cause of a stress fracture which would have caused metal fatigue. The opposite axel was also not fully welded, another accident waiting to happen.

Also Robin forgot to mention whilst at Talbotville that he followed a D22 Navara only in 2x2 and a Pathfinder through a bog hole, but he got bogged regardless of his diff locks, he had to be towed out by the pathfinder with it's 21 year old female owner at the wheel . I will try and post the photos when I get back from holidays

Dennis B
AnswerID: 474208

Follow Up By: Robin Miller - Friday, Jan 06, 2012 at 14:26

Friday, Jan 06, 2012 at 14:26
Hi Dennis

You missed my other reply - but remember only one brave person tried to take the route most difficult.

The end result was a collapsed front driver wheel bearing at 100kmh and a free ride back home in a flat bed.

Gotta love RACV total care !
Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 749153

Reply By: Member - Dennis B (VIC) - Friday, Jan 06, 2012 at 22:20

Friday, Jan 06, 2012 at 22:20
hi robin

o what a feeling
AnswerID: 474249

Sponsored Links