Review: Review

Submitted: Tuesday, Jan 03, 2012 at 11:41
ThreadID: 90981 Views:1778 Replies:7 FollowUps:12
This Thread has been Archived
Gday,
Just a suggestion.....
Whats the chance of haveing the reviews attached to the books in the shop rather than on the forum.
There were 7 reveiws on this page when I started this thread and a couple have the same reveiw on different books/DVDs.
Just seems to take up a lot of room and knock other threads down the line out of sight pretty quick?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - John - Tuesday, Jan 03, 2012 at 12:05

Tuesday, Jan 03, 2012 at 12:05
Agree, damn fine idea...........
John and Jan

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 473939

Follow Up By: Member - Welldone (WA) - Tuesday, Jan 03, 2012 at 19:15

Tuesday, Jan 03, 2012 at 19:15
Me too!!
FollowupID: 748798

Follow Up By: ExplorOz - David & Michelle - Wednesday, Jan 04, 2012 at 12:49

Wednesday, Jan 04, 2012 at 12:49
A solution has now been installed and tested. So you can now enable the checkbox in the forum index page titled:

Supress Reviews, Questions and Comments - Members Only

And presto the system will filter out all inbound generated shop and article, reviews, questions and comments from appearing in the view.

Let me know if you have any problem with this update.
David
David (DM) & Michelle (MM)
---------------------------------
Always working not enough travelling!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 748872

Reply By: Member - Old Girl - Tuesday, Jan 03, 2012 at 16:12

Tuesday, Jan 03, 2012 at 16:12
I was thinking the same John. I liken it to getting junk mail in the letter box or some one ringing up to sell me something. If i wnted to buy something ill go and look for it. When i bought something from eo the question was posted to me to make a comment. I did not realising it was going on the forum. Sorry EO for being negative.
AnswerID: 473949

Follow Up By: ExplorOz - David & Michelle - Wednesday, Jan 04, 2012 at 12:49

Wednesday, Jan 04, 2012 at 12:49
The solution has now been installed and tested. So you can now enable the checkbox in the forum index page titled:

And presto the system will filter out all inbound generated shop and article, reviews, questions and comments from appearing in the view.

David

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 748873

Reply By: Ozhumvee - Tuesday, Jan 03, 2012 at 16:19

Tuesday, Jan 03, 2012 at 16:19
Yes agree strongly, I've been "invited" to review products that I've purchased from the shop but have declined as I believe it is an attempt to increase the forum postings and site hits.
At one stage the other day there were 10 posts titled "review" in the 25 posts on the page which smacks to me of self promotion and is enough to put me off participating in the forum.
As Hairy says it just clogs it up and makes a huge percentage of posts worthless.
The reviews should only be attached to the actual items in the shop, nothing to do with the forum.
AnswerID: 473952

Follow Up By: ExplorOz - David & Michelle - Tuesday, Jan 03, 2012 at 19:29

Tuesday, Jan 03, 2012 at 19:29
I can assure you Peter (and everyone else) that the review comments and questions forum interface has nothing at all to do with increasing site traffic or page views. We have way more page views per month then we can successfully deal with. The interface has been provided to allow for not only the consolidated storage of the data but to allow users to interact within the reviews, questions and comments system as in a number of cases we do not use every product nor are we the experts on everything so in many cases "your" (meaning all forum users) answers to peoples reviews, comments and questions can be most beneficial.

I do agree that a number of the Reviews are light weight and have no real content however an automated system cannot understand this in every case and we are working on a method to prompt people thru a system to provide a more concise review. We must remember however that reviews are only a part of the review, questions and comment system that is provided on almost every page of the ExplorOz system. The system is basically a categorisation method for linking forum posts to articles, products, places, treks etc and in all cases is bi-directional (thus a review on the Battery Power article will appear in the article with a link to the forum and visa versa, same as product review or questions).

We have just had a meeting in the office about this issue and I have been strongly disagreeing with supressing this data from the system as to me there is nothing different from someone asking about a tyre choice as someone talking about a product they have just purchased or reviewing say, the Battery Power article. But we have compromised and have decided to add an option to the forum index to allow members to suppress all Review, Ratings and Questions posts in the index view. This will be an optional turn on/off type check box on the forum and will be implemented in the next day or so.

David

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 748799

Follow Up By: ExplorOz - David & Michelle - Wednesday, Jan 04, 2012 at 12:48

Wednesday, Jan 04, 2012 at 12:48
Peter,
The solution has now been installed and tested. So you can now enable the checkbox in the forum index page titled:

David

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 748871

Reply By: ExplorOz - David & Michelle - Tuesday, Jan 03, 2012 at 19:32

Tuesday, Jan 03, 2012 at 19:32
Hairy, I wrote this in a followp above but thought I would post it as a direct answer to your question.

------------------------------ Copy from Followup Above ----------------------
I can assure you (and everyone else) that the review comments and questions forum interface has nothing at all to do with increasing site traffic or page views. We have way more page views per month then we can successfully deal with. The interface has been provided to allow for not only the consolidated storage of the data but to allow users to interact within the reviews, questions and comments system as in a number of cases we do not use every product nor are we the experts on everything so in many cases "your" (meaning all forum users) answers to peoples reviews, comments and questions can be most beneficial.

I do agree that a number of the Reviews are light weight and have no real content however an automated system cannot understand this in every case and we are working on a method to prompt people thru a system to provide a more concise review. We must remember however that reviews are only a part of the review, questions and comment system that is provided on almost every page of the ExplorOz system. The system is basically a categorisation method for linking forum posts to articles, products, places, treks etc and in all cases is bi-directional (thus a review on the Battery Power article will appear in the article with a link to the forum and visa versa, same as product review or questions).

We have just had a meeting in the office about this issue and I have been strongly disagreeing with supressing this data from the system as to me there is nothing different from someone asking about a tyre choice as someone talking about a product they have just purchased or reviewing say, the Battery Power article. But we have compromised and have decided to add an option to the forum index to allow members to suppress all Review, Ratings and Questions posts in the index view. This will be an optional turn on/off type check box on the forum and will be implemented in the next day or so.

David

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 473975

Follow Up By: Hairy (WA) - Tuesday, Jan 03, 2012 at 19:44

Tuesday, Jan 03, 2012 at 19:44
Gday David,
Wow! Certainly cant winge about the response time!
That sounds like a great solution....

Cheers
Hairy
FollowupID: 748800

Follow Up By: ExplorOz - David & Michelle - Wednesday, Jan 04, 2012 at 12:48

Wednesday, Jan 04, 2012 at 12:48
Hairy,

David

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 748870

Follow Up By: Member - John - Wednesday, Jan 04, 2012 at 13:39

Wednesday, Jan 04, 2012 at 13:39
David, thanks.
John and Jan

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 748884

Follow Up By: Hairy (WA) - Wednesday, Jan 04, 2012 at 14:36

Wednesday, Jan 04, 2012 at 14:36
Cheers David.
FollowupID: 748890

Reply By: Member - Rod N (QLD) - Tuesday, Jan 03, 2012 at 19:48

Tuesday, Jan 03, 2012 at 19:48
I looked at a couple reviews but as they didn't make any sense I now don't bother to open them. To me they are a waste of space and as has been said before they just clutter theforum and force more meaningful posts down the page.
AnswerID: 473977

Follow Up By: ExplorOz - David & Michelle - Wednesday, Jan 04, 2012 at 12:50

Wednesday, Jan 04, 2012 at 12:50

David

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 748874

Reply By: Witi Repartee - Tuesday, Jan 03, 2012 at 20:21

Tuesday, Jan 03, 2012 at 20:21
Hairy...you must have influence in high places...congratulations on prompting the EO owners into action to remedy a silly situation.

Before Xmas I started a thread saying the reviews were light weight and cluttered the forum and detracted from the generally solid content. It was promptly MODERATED for what was perceived as criticism of the forum.

Rather than starting an arguement with the MODS ..I wrote a polite email to the forum owners, laying out my concerns and asking that my comments be considered as constructive criticism. To date I have had no reply.

So it's good to see that sense has finally prevailed and the silly one or two word"reviews"are finally being dealt with by the owners.

Thank you to all involved.
AnswerID: 473980

Follow Up By: Witi Repartee - Wednesday, Jan 04, 2012 at 23:01

Wednesday, Jan 04, 2012 at 23:01
An email reply has been received. Thank you for the follow up and the actions taken
FollowupID: 748953

Reply By: Member - Bucky - Wednesday, Jan 04, 2012 at 06:01

Wednesday, Jan 04, 2012 at 06:01
Well said Hairy

How ya been Mate ?

Cheers
Bucky
AnswerID: 474013

Follow Up By: ExplorOz - David & Michelle - Wednesday, Jan 04, 2012 at 12:50

Wednesday, Jan 04, 2012 at 12:50

David

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 748875

Sponsored Links