best kept secret..smart phone with patch lead!

Submitted: Friday, Jan 06, 2012 at 18:15
ThreadID: 91054 Views:5424 Replies:5 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Eureka....I have found it !!!!

Have been very dissapointed that you could not get a smart phone with a dedicated patch lead socket.....and so have been hoarding my old Samsung A411 and the C5220 for a fall back.....BUT I have stumbled on this little gem of knowledge

Here we are

The Samsung Galaxy S 2 has a hidden one inside the back battery cover!...It is there for technicians to hook into to do whatever they do in there BUT it doubles as an antennae socket..

Here is what to do when you are out there and want to hook into your antennae / patch lead

...get a silicon cover and punch a small hole in the back of this opposite to the socket.

Take off the battery cover (unless you decide that a small hole drilled in there is acceptable ..I dont).

Insert the phone into the silicon case and plug your patch lead in.....works a treat...the silicon cover keeps the battery etc. in place and clean and dry as obviously when in this state the phone will be inside a vehicle / 'van and out of the elements of dust and moisture etc.

When you are back in normal hand held range...simply dissconnect all and put the battery cover back on and use another silicon case or the same with the hole...your choice

FYI

The patch lead that fits is a Cellink that suits the Samsung U900T/C3050/i9000T/S8300T

Yes it does work........... 2 bars to full bars on my test

cheers
Life is a journey, it is not how we fall down, it is how we get up.
VKS 1341

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Robin Miller - Friday, Jan 06, 2012 at 18:31

Friday, Jan 06, 2012 at 18:31
Sounds good Bungurra , I like you have kept my A411 /C5220 for long after there use by date for the same reasons.

If you have the A411 still it would be great to check its sensitivity against the Galaxy S2 (both without antenna) to see if it as good or not.

The socket on the A411 etc is really just a technican test point anyway - but I can't go further into what technicans do with their secret technicans business.

Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 474235

Follow Up By: Member - bungarra (WA) - Friday, Jan 06, 2012 at 18:41

Friday, Jan 06, 2012 at 18:41
Hi Robin

I have been pleasantly surprised how well the Galaxy is performing where we live.... as in the past we have needed a bluetick for consistent reception and when I finaly bit the bullet and got the Galaxy it is working just as well here on the farm as the blueticks....but yes it does fade off when we head out further from the signal and the old blue tick Samsungs still hang in longer.

unfortunately cant give it a comparison test "way out back" for a few months yet...but as I posted in my starter thread.....it goes from 2 bars hand held to full strength here on the farm when connected so no doubt it works and I dont see why it wont be very comparible over distance..........in fact on the same antennae configuration I cant see why it may not be the same...but others may know more and comment
VKS 1341

FollowupID: 749177

Reply By: Gone Bush (WA) - Friday, Jan 06, 2012 at 20:00

Friday, Jan 06, 2012 at 20:00
Great find Graham,

Be aware tho, if you cause any problems using that socket your warranty is out the window.

On a Motorola flip-phone I had I pressed the cable plug too hard into the same socket and damaged the phone, no reception from that moment on. At least it gave me the opportunity to upgrade.

Cheers

I'm glad I ain't too scared to be lazy
- Augustus McCrae (Lonesome Dove)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 474236

Follow Up By: Member - Doug T (NT) - Saturday, Jan 07, 2012 at 05:35

Saturday, Jan 07, 2012 at 05:35
Would it not have been quicker to have hit it with a hammer, or you could do as Scott did yesterday with his new LG Touch phone , it fell of the tractor and went under the grass Slasher, wasn't much left , actually all the bits he picked up didn't look like a phone. Sim card was ok though, I looked at the mangled mess and told him....I'll fix for you, he smiled.

gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 749193

Follow Up By: Member - bungarra (WA) - Saturday, Jan 07, 2012 at 10:10

Saturday, Jan 07, 2012 at 10:10
Hi Stephen

That why I did not drill a hole in the back of the phone cover and did as I described... If in the event of pressing too hard and maybe damaging the socket I reckon the chances of them knowing that I had been using that socket would be hard to pick up on....the phone is still original

The fact that the socket is there indicated that it is designed to receive a plug and so careful use connecting it by me should be no diference to a technician doing same....

cheers
VKS 1341

FollowupID: 749201

Reply By: MEMBER - Darian, SA - Friday, Jan 06, 2012 at 21:23

Friday, Jan 06, 2012 at 21:23
Thanks for sharing your find Bung - noted, in case I upgrade to a smartphone (trying to find a way of justifying it - but my dumb phone hardly sees any traffic :-o). BTW - re your Barrett autotune - I recall having to have a minimum clearance from casing to the nearest metal (manual instruction) - yours looks very close to the canopy - presume it is quite happy there, re overall performance ? Darian, VKS 0090.
AnswerID: 474242

Follow Up By: Member - bungarra (WA) - Saturday, Jan 07, 2012 at 10:05

Saturday, Jan 07, 2012 at 10:05
Hi Darian

Re my auto tune..thanks for your comment and well picked...and you are quite right re the requirment of a minimum clearance.

However that is on a telescopic slide I manufactured because i wanted it safe out of harms way for when travelling (no more bull bar mounts).... and when in use I pull a safety pin and extend it well above the roof canopy...works a treat

appreciate you constructive comment though

cheers
VKS 1341

FollowupID: 749199

Reply By: Member - Boobook - Saturday, Jan 07, 2012 at 06:11

Saturday, Jan 07, 2012 at 06:11
Great work

Also the Motorola Defy + is blue tick.
AnswerID: 474257

Reply By: Snowy79 - Saturday, Jan 07, 2012 at 16:44

Saturday, Jan 07, 2012 at 16:44
Great find, any idea where you buy the patch-lead from, I didn't have any luck with ebay?

Cheers

Snowy.
AnswerID: 474294

Follow Up By: Member - bungarra (WA) - Saturday, Jan 07, 2012 at 17:12

Saturday, Jan 07, 2012 at 17:12
got mine from these people... but you should be able to get from any mob that sell patch leads if you quote the details as I posted

http://www.mobileextras.com.au/

cheers
VKS 1341

FollowupID: 749229

Sponsored Links