Pajero Question

Submitted: Friday, Jan 06, 2012 at 21:58
ThreadID: 91060 Views:5942 Replies:11 FollowUps:8
This Thread has been Archived
Thank you to all that replied to my previous post about the Pajero. Looks like we will go with the Pajero

One quick question .
How Important is the Rear Diff locker.

I am looking at the 30th Anniversary or the Platinum Model.
The Platinum has more features like GPS etc but NO Diff Lock
The Anniversary has the diff Lock.

With all the Traction control, Stability Control,and ABS the same on both models. Do I need the diff lock

Thank you
Wayne B
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: NTVRX - Friday, Jan 06, 2012 at 22:19

Friday, Jan 06, 2012 at 22:19
Hello Wayne, I think the GPS in the Pajero is a 3 out of 10 compared to other GPS devices however you would use it more than a rear diff lock. Diff locks are fine depending on what you plan to do but a system called "Driving through your brakes" serves the purpose that a diff lock would do for you. The driving technique takes some practice but once you learn how & practice it is cheaper than front & rear diff locks. Good luck with the Pajero....you will "Love that car"
AnswerID: 474247

Follow Up By: The_Chad - Friday, Jan 06, 2012 at 23:55

Friday, Jan 06, 2012 at 23:55
"Driving through the brakes", just looked it up and realised I already knew what that was - it's essentially how you're trained to drive (big mining) dump trucks down wet ramps - will have to give it a go next time I get into an auto 4x4 on a slope.
FollowupID: 749192

Reply By: MrBitchi (QLD) - Friday, Jan 06, 2012 at 23:37

Friday, Jan 06, 2012 at 23:37
IMO with the traction control you won't really need a diff lock.
AnswerID: 474254

Reply By: Member - Boobook - Saturday, Jan 07, 2012 at 06:15

Saturday, Jan 07, 2012 at 06:15
You can always add a diff lock at any stage if you need it. But it would be hard to add factory look GPS. That's the way I would look at it.
AnswerID: 474258

Reply By: olcoolone - Saturday, Jan 07, 2012 at 08:19

Saturday, Jan 07, 2012 at 08:19
I would go diff lock over GPS... most factory GPS's are over priced and offer poor mapping compared with aftermarket, the other downside of factory GPS's is the over priced map updates.

Rear diff lock will be an advantage and if you get it factory fitted it comes with the 10 year drive train warranty.

We have a few vehicles with factory GPS and is they didn't come standard I would not of had it..... we never use the factory ones now as we use TomTom on an Iphone that automatically updates maps.

Traction control works very well and in some instances can be better then diff locks, the advantage of traction control is it is always there just in case and works automatically whereby diff lock are manual activation.......in extreme stuff a diff lock is better.

It has surprised us how far the 200 series will go with traction control being used only.
AnswerID: 474260

Reply By: Member - Rich - Saturday, Jan 07, 2012 at 08:30

Saturday, Jan 07, 2012 at 08:30
Check out impact on warranty if you add diff lock afterwards.

If added as part of purchase then included in warranty , if after then not.

I cant remember details but there was some issue there.

I did not get the optional rear diff as i was getting a sunroof and believe it or not you could not get both on new purchase.

Rich
AnswerID: 474261

Reply By: Member - bbuzz (NSW) - Saturday, Jan 07, 2012 at 08:38

Saturday, Jan 07, 2012 at 08:38
Now you are going with the Paj, where will you put the extra fuel tank?

I am looking at updating too, but having had a Prado, the long range tank is a big plus when touring.

Bill
Bill B

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 474264

Follow Up By: MrBitchi (QLD) - Saturday, Jan 07, 2012 at 09:37

Saturday, Jan 07, 2012 at 09:37
LRA make a tank for them. Sits under the back with minimal impact on clearance/departure angle.
FollowupID: 749198

Follow Up By: Member - Wayne B (NSW) - Saturday, Jan 07, 2012 at 10:09

Saturday, Jan 07, 2012 at 10:09
ARB also have a 60lt additional tank so They tell me.
Cheers
Wayne B
FollowupID: 749200

Reply By: Member - Paul B (WA) - Saturday, Jan 07, 2012 at 09:53

Saturday, Jan 07, 2012 at 09:53
We recently upgraded our very faithful old 1998 90 series petrol Prado to a 2008 NS Pajero TD auto & I must say we've been super impressed with its off road performance.

You do have to remember to hit the ABS-off button hidden on the lower dash to the left of the column in the soft stuff otherwise you come up very short! But the rear diff lock, which was apparently standard, has been really handy where a rear wheel spins.

Being an old Ozi Explorer man, I'd much rather have a factory built diff lock than an all things to all city drivers factory GPS.

Good luck with it,
Paul B Kalngoorlies
AnswerID: 474268

Follow Up By: patsproule - Saturday, Jan 07, 2012 at 12:30

Saturday, Jan 07, 2012 at 12:30
The button actually turns off the stability control (ASC). It leaves the ABS and Traction Control enabled. Turning on the Diff Lock disables the traction control though.
FollowupID: 749212

Follow Up By: Member - Paul B (WA) - Sunday, Jan 08, 2012 at 23:03

Sunday, Jan 08, 2012 at 23:03
Oops yeah sorry, it is the ASC button.
FollowupID: 749355

Reply By: Member - Wayne B (NSW) - Saturday, Jan 07, 2012 at 10:22

Saturday, Jan 07, 2012 at 10:22
Thank you all for your comments.
I think the Traction Control System has almost eliminated the need for lock diffs etc. According to the gurus, as soon as one wheel starts to slip the brakes are applied to that wheel which transfers the drive to the other wheel.

One thing I am finding is with the various models combined with a few limited editions like the Platinum and 30 Anniversary, then throw in optional diff lock and a few other things, it can be very confusing determining exactly what the vehicle you are looking at has fitted to it. Too many choices to many different combinations.

Anyway we are off to the dealer this morning to crunch some numbers. Being that the vehicles are technically 12 months old (2011 Build) dealers are doing some discounting

Cheers
Wayne B

AnswerID: 474270

Follow Up By: mikehzz - Saturday, Jan 07, 2012 at 12:22

Saturday, Jan 07, 2012 at 12:22
The only thing wrong with traction control is that you have to loose traction and spin the wheels before it kicks in which makes for a ricketty ride up a slope sometimes....but better than nothing :-).
On another note, I was at a 4wd club meeting last month and a topic of conversation was excessive rusting of the body near the the doors on some of the later model Pajeros. I had not heard of it but it was talked about so may be worth asking about? It was said that Mitsubishi actually changed the design on later runs of the same model to counteract the effect. Other than that issue the car got a good wrap.
FollowupID: 749210

Reply By: Member - Frank P (NSW) - Saturday, Jan 07, 2012 at 12:37

Saturday, Jan 07, 2012 at 12:37
G'day Wayne,

I have a mate with factory GPS in his Paj. He (ie his navigator) cannot re-program it while the vehicle is in motion. Supposedly a safety feature, ignoring the fact that a front passenger might be present and able to do it.

I'd go the diff locks and get after market GPS.

Cheers

Frank

FrankP

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 474277

Follow Up By: member - mazcan - Saturday, Jan 07, 2012 at 14:54

Saturday, Jan 07, 2012 at 14:54
hi frank p
the amusing thing about the dash in-built units not allowing you the driver or a front seat pasenger to alter the gps
while in motion is yes its in some ways sensible as a safety thing
but they completly overlook the fact that the driver is required to take his eyes off the road to look down at the gps unit in the middle of the dash there-by creating an ever bigger risk in the first place as he is not able to look at the gps at the same time as the rd
so hello have they really thought about the whole safety factor issue
personelly i dont think so
as mentioned in a 4x4 magazine a while ago most of the inbuilt gps unit maps are out of date for aus when you buy the vehicle and they want a fortune for the upgrades
imho the on windscreen units are far safer as you are always able to see the road past the unit while looking at it compared to looking down away from the view of the rd at an in dash unit
just my thoughts
cheers
i
FollowupID: 749220

Reply By: Member - Gordon T (NSW) - Saturday, Jan 07, 2012 at 17:42

Saturday, Jan 07, 2012 at 17:42
We have a 9/2010 NT diesel 'Platinum' auto Paj - settled on this after 18 months of 'research' as it was best dollar value & best met our travelling & towing needs. At the time they had a $500 rear locker (factory fitted) deal which I had no hesitation in accepting - remember it has the vehicle warranty as well. It has been helpful on several occasions. With 30,000 on the clock I can say we are not disappointed with the purchase & would repeat if we had to. Original GPS is a waste of space - can replace with a near identical panel model for $600-$900 but prefer a mobile unit so have left original as is. Replaced highway tyres with BFG A/Ts - did a deal with tyreman before car purchase & drove vehicle from showroom to tyreroom for a swap over. Also happy with BFG tyres. OL bull bar & Safari snorkel work well & look good.
AnswerID: 474300

Reply By: Member - Wayne B (NSW) - Saturday, Jan 07, 2012 at 19:35

Saturday, Jan 07, 2012 at 19:35
Diff locker hard to get now Only one Anniversary Pajero in Australia with locker fitted. Could probably order one if needed

Cheers
Wayne B
AnswerID: 474313

Follow Up By: Member - Wayne B (NSW) - Wednesday, Jan 11, 2012 at 18:49

Wednesday, Jan 11, 2012 at 18:49
After all That

I BOUGHT A 200GX LANDCRUISER. ?????

I did like the Pajero though

Thanks for all your input.
Cheers
Wayne B
FollowupID: 749643