Victorian High Country

We are looking at visiting the Victorian High Country for 5 weeks over the Xmas - New year period of 2012/13, We have a C/van (not an off-road one), but we are unsure whether to use it or just camp? I have the 'High Country and 4WD Camping Guide' and I have found it very useful, but I have also found that although it gives you distances for each trek, it doesn't specify how long it ls likely to take (eg, hours or days). I was hoping if someone would be able to tell us, which would be the more practical way to explore the area (as we don't want to have to keep back tracking just to pick the van up). We are from Qld, and although we have done a few trips out west - Alice Springs etc we are not overly familiar with the southern areas of Australia, we hope someone could help.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: 120scruiser (NSW) - Sunday, Jan 08, 2012 at 16:39

Sunday, Jan 08, 2012 at 16:39
Hi Alyssa B
I was in the high country in November and there were alot of tracks closed due to flood damage. I would suggest you check with DSE Victoria to see what roads are still closed. We took our camper trailer down and had no trouble however you do have to be careful what tracks you take them on. Most tracks are quite good, steep but in good condition.
I would not take a camper van down as you definitely need an off road trailer.
Camping will open up alot of tracks you will be able to travel along.
Try going in from Myrtleford, traveling up Wild Horse Gap track into Pineapple flat camping ground. It is a great spot to venture out from and is not far from mount stirling. We spent 4 days there before getting rained out.
Another great spot we are going to is Talbotville for a base camp. Alot to see and do around these areas.
Hope this helps
Scott
AnswerID: 474396

Reply By: skulldug - Sunday, Jan 08, 2012 at 18:33

Sunday, Jan 08, 2012 at 18:33
Alyssa,

The high country is fantastic and five weeks there will be great. We are there now. If you are in a camper you could base yourself in Omeo or Dargo and do day trips but with five weeks, I would definitely camp and retreat to a town for a night every so often to re-stock. Chilly at night compared to QLD.

Skull
AnswerID: 474406

Reply By: Crackles - Sunday, Jan 08, 2012 at 19:10

Sunday, Jan 08, 2012 at 19:10
G'day Alyssa. I'd suggest bringing your van down setting up several basecamps to day trip from. Central locations could include Limestonecreek to explore the Upper Murray, Talbotville to look around the Dargo region, Buckland Valley which gets you into Wonnangatta & Sheepyard Flat in from Mansfield.
With the huge number of options available it's quite possible to do loop trips to iconic destinations without duplicating many tracks then take main roads between bases.
It's almost impossible to give times on any given route as conditions change particually when wet. As a general rule one could expect to cover between 100 to 150 km per day over mixed grade tracks.
The Rooftop series of maps have the best detail for 4x4 touring & worth getting a few to cover the areas you're looking at.
Cheers Craig...............
AnswerID: 474409

Reply By: Alyssa B - Sunday, Jan 15, 2012 at 15:06

Sunday, Jan 15, 2012 at 15:06
Thanks to all who replied back to us. My husband and I have decided (with our 2 teenagers), have decided not to take the van, we will just camp it all around, with having a night here and there in the towns. Thanks again for your advice.
AnswerID: 474960

Sponsored Links