Troopy Campers - pros and cons

Submitted: Tuesday, Jan 10, 2012 at 15:59
ThreadID: 91136 Views:11246 Replies:7 FollowUps:9
This Thread has been Archived
Looking at maybe getting a Troopy camper as I've out grown my Terracan and thinking that the Troopy camper might be a good compromise over getting a new tow vehicle and then a camper trailer sometime in the future. The fact that there is potential sleeping arrangements for 3 is ideal and the Troopy is a very capable vehicle.

Ideally the vehicle would be a 4.2L with turbo etc.

Those who have one or have had one,what are the Pros & Cons of them and what should I be looking out for with respect to second hand models?

Before the question gets asked, I do mostly remote outback travel over crap roads and there is usually 2 of us in the vehicle. Don't want to spend much more than $40K.

Thanks in anticipation.

Dunc
Make sure you give back more than you take

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: get outmore - Tuesday, Jan 10, 2012 at 16:08

Tuesday, Jan 10, 2012 at 16:08
you will need to get one with a pop top , high roof ones are too high to take anywhere
AnswerID: 474575

Follow Up By: Member - Duncan W (WA) - Tuesday, Jan 10, 2012 at 21:14

Tuesday, Jan 10, 2012 at 21:14
That was my intention as like you say the high roof is way too high and I think would seriously suffer from cross winds not to mention higher fuel consumption.
Dunc

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 749556

Reply By: lostinwauchope - Tuesday, Jan 10, 2012 at 17:01

Tuesday, Jan 10, 2012 at 17:01
Hello Duncan,
I used to be a tent camper for the last 20 yrs , spend most of my time setting up & packing up daily had a very capable 80 series sold it all and bought a troopy no high roof no pop top . Has full length draws ,100 ltrs water fridge and double bed inside so my bed is always made no matter what the weather is doing . outside i have a 4mtr x 3mtr Aussie traveller awning that takes about 4 minutes to erect thats in im set up. have all the usual bits and pcs that you need to carry for remote travel. the best thing I ever did I love it, not as comfy as the 80 but better in every other respect for 40k I think you will have the perfect vehicle . cheers ron
AnswerID: 474579

Follow Up By: Member - Duncan W (WA) - Tuesday, Jan 10, 2012 at 21:17

Tuesday, Jan 10, 2012 at 21:17
Thanks Ron. I think I'm pretty well set on a Troopy (mind you I've not driven one as yet) and If I think at the end of the day the Camper just isn't what I really want I'll settle for the standard configuration and do it up like I did with the Terracan, although that is very expensive to do.
Dunc

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 749558

Reply By: Gnomey - Tuesday, Jan 10, 2012 at 17:42

Tuesday, Jan 10, 2012 at 17:42
G'day Duncan

I've owned a Troopy camper for a couple of years now. Mine was bought secondhand, with high top and btw in Perth where it seemed a good number of ex hire vehicles are sold off.

Mine now has a pop top. High tops have various cons for me including higher centre of gravity, wind resistance and lack of space in the upper sleeping deck.

I've posted about this before in answer to questions by a guy whose son was looking to buy one for a big lap. A thread or name search might turn it up.

The short of it is that the ex-hire vehicles are pretty "well" used and if I were doing it all over again I would look for a good second hand troopy and get the conversion done. General reason is that the hire vehicles have a very basic conversion done to the low end of the range Troopy. You might get lucky and find a good second hand one that was privately done but you might be waiting around a while too.

In my view carrying and sleeping 2 is fine. Three might be pushing it a bit on anything but shortish trips especially over rough country.

Can't really comment on your budget figure but my budget was to buy, convert to pop top and accessorise for around $30k. I'm probably in the red by a few grand on that budget but I'm not unhappy. It does everything I need. If you want mobility and 4WD capability then amenity and comfort/luxury of the fitout are what suffers. How one's partner feels about all that will vary like milage. If she's happy with camping out of the Terracan it will be a big step up in amenity IMHO.

It's nice to camp high and dry and set up in quick time. Nice to decamp and move quickly too. Crap weather? You can cook inside. Never used a camper trailer. Have hired campervans from 2 to 6 berth. It's not a caravan and it's not a larger campervan but you know all that already. Beats the heck outa tenting and I've done a lot of that too.The big thing is to be very very well organised - hence in part my comment about having a conversion done.

My driving is different to yours being more on the black top and gravel with some beach driving and fire track type stuff thrown in. It's a fishing truck not a remote outback trip vehicle. Having said that it is extremely capable off road - beyond my typical risk envelope as a single traveller.

Happy answer any other questions I can help with - now or later, on or off forum.

Cheers
Mark
AnswerID: 474584

Follow Up By: Member - Duncan W (WA) - Tuesday, Jan 10, 2012 at 21:21

Tuesday, Jan 10, 2012 at 21:21
Thanks Mark. The reason for me saying a 3 berth is that when I travel with my mate and not my wife he aint going to be snuggling up with me up top but down stairs on the table bed.

We hired a camper van in NZ and really liked the experience so the Troopy would be similar but not quite as luxurious.

Dunc

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 749561

Follow Up By: Gnomey - Tuesday, Jan 10, 2012 at 21:50

Tuesday, Jan 10, 2012 at 21:50
No worries Dunc. Nothing indiscreet about my assumption I hope. :) Setting up and knocking down the downstairs bed adds a little complication to the organisation issues but if you don't mind shifting stuff up and down again each night (assuming the stuff on the floor isn't put outside) it'll work fine for you.

You might even want to hire one for a try out.

Cheers
Mar
FollowupID: 749567

Follow Up By: Member - Duncan W (WA) - Tuesday, Jan 10, 2012 at 22:17

Tuesday, Jan 10, 2012 at 22:17
Had actually contemplated that Mark. Got a trip at the end of March which would be a good testing ground. Unfortunately my wife won't be on that trip but my old hairy mate will be so a test of all the sleeping set up.

Mind you if my wife did come on the trip I'd be forced as far away from her as possible due to me snoring. LOL Might still have to pack my tent with her along.

Dunc

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 749570

Reply By: Kanga1 - Tuesday, Jan 10, 2012 at 22:19

Tuesday, Jan 10, 2012 at 22:19
Hi Dunc, looks like you are getting ready for Safari early this year! We knew a guy a few years ago who had an early 2000's ish Trakka troopy pop top camper he had a good run with it, he had it for a few years and used to go all over the place in it.
Met a Swiss couple in Kal this year, they had a Kea Troopy pop top conversion Ex hire, that they had bought to travel Aus. They had gear strapped all over the thing, jacks water containers, jerry cans you name it, I wondered how the radiator got any air at all. This was a very nice conversion worth hunting down I reckon. Looking at your budget you'll be getting into a coil spring front end at the very least and possibly a V8 diesel 4.5 litre job, if you look around you should get a decent Ex-Hire unit. Good luck with the shopping Dunc. Go the Troopy. ATB the Kanga's.
Tempus Fugit

Kanga.

AnswerID: 474612

Follow Up By: Member - Duncan W (WA) - Tuesday, Jan 10, 2012 at 23:09

Tuesday, Jan 10, 2012 at 23:09
Hi Adriane, yep it should be good for Safari. Got a little trip up my sleeve for late August if you're interested.

Looking at a few tomorrow within my price range both standard Troopy and pop top, so we'll see what transpires.

Big snag though my wife said I can have the new car if she can have a new horse to compete with. There is always a downside to things isn't there. LOL

Dunc

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 749577

Follow Up By: Kanga1 - Wednesday, Jan 11, 2012 at 00:58

Wednesday, Jan 11, 2012 at 00:58
Hey Dunc, tell her horses/ horsepower same difference but the ones with wheels are far more reliable LOL, let us know what you are conjouring up for August. Good luck tomorrow. Cheers Adriane and Gill.
Tempus Fugit

Kanga.

FollowupID: 749582

Reply By: Robin Miller - Wednesday, Jan 11, 2012 at 08:10

Wednesday, Jan 11, 2012 at 08:10
Hi Duncan

I wouldn't agree that a troopy is a very capable vehicle, they are the first to tip over , usually first to get bogged and at the end of the day they are narrow inside and also rough and noisy with poor access.

I have friends who have ended up just not being able to hack it with long hours of rough driving and back problems caused by them.

They are today built on the basics of a good strong V8 with tough chassis and high reliability these are great features for some aspects of what we do.

I know its a difficult choice as there just isn't much out there for 4wd drivers when there are lots of 2wd campervan options.

Have struggled with the same issue trying to do everything I can to aviod dragging another set of wheels.

If only there was a troopy as wide as my Patrol, but there isn't so what to do ?

Some of the tray based 79 series cruiser models with there aftermarket rear sections come up pretty well.
I have seen some home built sections for these with low down water tanks, alloy upper sections designed to be slept in and wider than a troopy, and with rear wheel spacer options, and coil over mods and suspension seats.

These would probably be where I'd start , but for now we will stick with sleeping in our Patrol and making the accessories fit around this option, it seems a more civilized and practical option.
Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 474632

Follow Up By: Member - Duncan W (WA) - Wednesday, Jan 11, 2012 at 20:28

Wednesday, Jan 11, 2012 at 20:28
Hi Robin I've friends who have Troopy's and swear by them. At this stage I've yet to actually drive one and it may eventuate that I don't like the feel of them. Looked at 2 pop tops and 2 standards (04 & an 06) both with mileage in the low 60's so low K's one I liked came from Broom so has a bit of rust in the bar work etc.

So what I end up with is anybodies guess at this stage.

Dunc

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 749649

Reply By: Member - John and Val - Wednesday, Jan 11, 2012 at 09:25

Wednesday, Jan 11, 2012 at 09:25
Hi Duncan,

We have had a petrol Troopy for about 20 years during which time we have done a fair number of big trips including on some pretty rough tracks. Our blogs will give you some idea of where we have been. WE love our Troopy and consider it to be a very capable vehicle - and a younger diesel version would probably be even more capable.

The only real issue is the lack of side doors which limits access, but a well designed drawer system can overcome that. We have set up our Troopy so that it is very comfortable for an extended trip - here is a link to the blog we have done on the set-up. Some may query our lack of a cargo barrier, but we have not found a way to use one and still have the functionality of our bed and storage system. We do carry a fair bit on the roof and would miss that capacity in a pop-top.

Some people reckon the seats are uncomfortable, and in their basic vinyl covers they are. We have overcome this by always having covers on to stop sliding around, and currently have sheep-skin covers which are excellent - and have stayed remarkably clean.

Another big plus for a Troopy is the excellent visibility you get.

Good luck with finding the right Troopy.

Cheers,

Val
J and V
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 474645

Follow Up By: Member - Duncan W (WA) - Thursday, Jan 12, 2012 at 11:06

Thursday, Jan 12, 2012 at 11:06
Hi Val sorry for not replying sooner.
Having looked at 2 pop tops yesterday I feel that there is a real problem with lack of usable space for such things as extra bedding, cloths bags, recovery gear and an extra fridge/freezer.

The basic Troopy with its cavernous interior is inviting and a set-up like you describe in your Blog is similar to what I had in mind.

An other option I'm looking at is an Ex Telstra Patrol as they have been set up with 2 wheel carriers, water tanks, LR fuel tanks, bars, winches in some instances, duel batteries etc.

Most of the Troopies that come on the market here are ex mining and thus have had a hard life. One I looked at yesterday had very low K's,as it was owned by a catering company, but was very rough inside and hadn't been respected. & no duel battery so straight up I'd be up for a few bob just to make it basically usable for my touring purposes. Drawers can come later but full electrics are a must.

Dunc

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 749671

Reply By: rainbowprof - Sunday, Jan 15, 2012 at 22:28

Sunday, Jan 15, 2012 at 22:28
I have an ex Britz 1998 hightop Troopie with about 180 000 kms on it and find it travels well on or off road. I run 16" split rims and 16 ply cheesecutters. Goes almost anywhere and good to camp in. Don't go to underground carparks at supermarkets though. Not expensive to run, same as most 'cruisers, I believe. Around 1100-1200 kms from 2 tanks of diesel. Got OME suspension so it's fairly comfortable. Sit on around 90 kms an hour. Faster drinks more fuel, but easy to do (well, not uphill...) Often tow a trailer and hardly changes the fuel consumption. There are reports of how they can tip over but the fibreglass high top isn't heavy. Basically, I corner slowly! It's a good place to keep a lot of bedding when you're driving. We always leave the bed set up up top. Very convenient and comfy. Fold out bed at the bottom is fine. A bit of a tight fit for two at the bottom but possible. With 3 or more people a trailer is well worth the effort. Handles outback corrugations well. The sturdy 75 series has stood the test of time and the high top addition doesn't alter that a skerrick.. Top marks for convenience and reliability. I've had pop tops before and find this a bit better. The pop top I had before rattled a lot off road.
AnswerID: 475031

Sponsored Links