Tyre Recommendations for round Aust. trip.

Submitted: Thursday, Jan 12, 2012 at 23:08
ThreadID: 91189 Views:3086 Replies:14 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived

Related Pages

Hi All,
We are excitedly getting ready for our big trip round Australia leaving in March. Just wondering if anyone can recommend which tyres to put on the Rodeo and camper. We have BF Goodrich all terrains on the car at the moment and someone recommended Mickey T's?
Thanks, Carreen
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Life Member - Phil B (WA) - Friday, Jan 13, 2012 at 04:32

Friday, Jan 13, 2012 at 04:32
Hi Carreen,

Buying tyres is a can of worms. Everyone's got an opinion, based on their experience, their wallet, what type of driving they do and so on.

There was a similar post recently on this go to Thread ID: 91066.

cheers
There is a lot of difference between
‘Human Being’ and ‘Being Human’.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 474780

Reply By: Member - DW Lennox Head(NSW) - Friday, Jan 13, 2012 at 05:00

Friday, Jan 13, 2012 at 05:00
Carreen

I think you have already answered your own question and that has been reinforced by Phil.

The thread 91066 will answer your query.

Stay with the brand you have on the Rodeo and do the same on the trailer but always remember adjust air pressure and speed as necessary.

Have a good trip.

DW
AnswerID: 474781

Reply By: Wayne (NSW) - Friday, Jan 13, 2012 at 07:00

Friday, Jan 13, 2012 at 07:00
Carreen,

It would be a case of how the tyres are driven than what brand.

Tyre pressure , speed and how much weight they have to lug around is a major factor.

There is nothing wrong with the tyres that you have on the vehicle now, just make sure that the spares and the tyres on the camper are the same size and brand, also interchangeable with the vehicle.

There is nothing wrong with Mickey T's except that they could be hard to replace in the outback, so staying with a popular brand of tyre.

Good luck with the trip and safe travelling.

Wayne
AnswerID: 474784

Reply By: Member - Royce- Friday, Jan 13, 2012 at 08:07

Friday, Jan 13, 2012 at 08:07
Still got tread on your tyres?
Leave them on!
AnswerID: 474790

Follow Up By: zappa - Saturday, Jan 14, 2012 at 14:17

Saturday, Jan 14, 2012 at 14:17
Agree with Royce as long as you have a quality A/T tyre with good tread thats all you need !
FollowupID: 749856

Reply By: Member - Stevo_62 - Friday, Jan 13, 2012 at 08:19

Friday, Jan 13, 2012 at 08:19
In Sept I did a trip in 4WD dual cab Rodeo from Rockhampton to Perth via Plenty Hwy and Great Central Rd and returned via bitumen . I put Terra Trac 225 R16 on at $190 per tyre and had no problems and after 20,000 they appear to be wearing well . Not noisy on bitumen and seemed to handle the rough stuff fairly well . Haven't done much sand work with them yet
AnswerID: 474791

Follow Up By: Member - Stevo_62 - Friday, Jan 13, 2012 at 08:27

Friday, Jan 13, 2012 at 08:27
Also see thread 58394
FollowupID: 749751

Reply By: Member Andys Adventures - Friday, Jan 13, 2012 at 08:58

Friday, Jan 13, 2012 at 08:58
Stay with what you already have. You know how they handle, ware and are easy replaced.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 474799

Reply By: Rod W - Friday, Jan 13, 2012 at 09:42

Friday, Jan 13, 2012 at 09:42
I have Mickey T's all terrain (equivalent to BFG all terrain), they are a very very noisy tyre and I won't buy them again. So stay with and replace with BFG all terrains.
AnswerID: 474806

Reply By: Gossy - Friday, Jan 13, 2012 at 11:45

Friday, Jan 13, 2012 at 11:45
you haven't mentioned what type of terrain you will be doing. Are you following the dirt tracks all around or are you using the black top alot of the way? If doing alot of km's on the blacktop then a general AT tyre (5 rib) will be much quieter and be a good compromise.
If you plan on doing cape york, Vic high country, Tassie etc then a more aggressive 4 rib tyre would be a better option.
AnswerID: 474817

Reply By: gbc - Friday, Jan 13, 2012 at 20:52

Friday, Jan 13, 2012 at 20:52
As luck might have it, I've been looking for our fleet colorados today.
Bob Jane have LT 694 duelers on at the moment for $260 (LT245 70 16).
The only higher load rating is the LT pirelli scorpion.

There is no Mud terrain in that size, you need to go to 245 75 which is illegal in some states. We get 50 000 + out of hercules terra trac MT if you're that way inclined, and they are cheap, load rated, speed rated and handle the abuse that only a non-owner can dish out.

That is all the info I have unless you want 235 75 15 ranger tyres.
AnswerID: 474853

Reply By: Wilko (Parkes NSW) - Friday, Jan 13, 2012 at 22:16

Friday, Jan 13, 2012 at 22:16
Its easy, anything but coopers, Flack jacket on head down, Incoming,

Cheers wilko
AnswerID: 474860

Follow Up By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Saturday, Jan 14, 2012 at 21:15

Saturday, Jan 14, 2012 at 21:15
Gday wilco,
America's most trusted "TIRE"........not sure what that means, but we live in Australia
Are used by old 4wd couples who pull semitrailers out of bogs......when will they finally stop using that ridiculous commercial?
They offer an unbelievable mileage warranty.....check the fine print
Used by the biggest selling 4wd mags .......snigger

But more seriously, I'm with you - these types don't live up to the hype from their advertising. There are lots more brands that are better suited to Australian outback conditions.
FollowupID: 749904

Reply By: Roachie.kadina.sa.au - Saturday, Jan 14, 2012 at 09:38

Saturday, Jan 14, 2012 at 09:38
Speaking of tyre pressures...has anybody seen the "advert" on commercial tv done by Spider Everett for a show called :Great Australian Doorstep"? He has been featuring a series of advice for would-be outback drivers. One of these snippets of advice is to INCREASE your tyre pressures on gravel roads.

Needless to say I wanted to set them straight and the following is my email to them:

QUOTE:

G'day there,
You're currently running an advert for off-roading tips. One of the tips is to pump your tyres UP when going on gravel roads.
I strenuously urge you to pull that segment and do some PROPER research into the relationship between tyre pressures and gravel roads.
I think you will quickly find that the accepted method of tackling gravel roads is to REDUCE your tyre pressures.....the rougher the track the more you need to reduce them. But, you also need to reduce your speed commensurately.
The rationale behind this makes perfect sense once you stop and think about it.
Imagine, for a moment, a fully inflated balloon being pressed against a sharp object.....it would "pop" quite quickly with very little pressure being applied. However, if the balloon was only partially inflated, it would withstand much more pressure before it would "pop".
The same applies to tyres: When a fully inflated (or "over-inflated" if your previous advice is followed) tyre is used on a gravel road, then every rock the tyres pass over will be like that sharp object that was poking the balloon.....eventually your tyre/s will pass over a rock with a sharpish point and you'll suffer a puncture/blow-out. However, if you REDUCE your tyre pressures from, say, 40psi (highway pressure), to say 30psi, the tyre will have a better chance of survival because it can sort of "mould" itself over the sharp rocks.
One very strong proponent of this method is a bloke named Adam Plate, the proprietor of the Pink Roadhouse at Oodnadatta, in the SA outback. Adam has changed more flat tyres than most of us have had hot breakfasts!! He has drawn-up a hand-written sheet of suggested tyre pressures for the various sorts of vehicles that are likely to frequent the outback. He provides one of these sheets to anyone who visits his establishment.....most of whom are there to have a coffee and a feed while they wait for him to fix punctures which have occurred because they have had TOO MUCH air in their tyres.
You people have a duty of care to ensure you publish CORRECT info for all those "numpties" who have got "all the gear and no idea"... (my terminology for city dwellers who have gone and bought all the flash gear, but have no idea how to use it).
I have done numerous outback trips. Following the above "system", I have never suffered a puncture on a gravel road. It is amazing how often you stop to assist a fellow traveller with a puncture....the conversation almost always goes as follows:
Me: "Mate, what sort of pressures are you running in those tyres".... Him: "Yeh, I don't understand why I had a flat, I stopped and pumped some more air in when we got to the gravel...I'm running 50psi"!!!
Unbelievable!!!!

UNQUOTE

Cheers

Roachie
AnswerID: 474884

Follow Up By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Saturday, Jan 14, 2012 at 21:05

Saturday, Jan 14, 2012 at 21:05
Gday Roachie,
Hope you and the family had a good Xmas,

Yeah, they like to recommend high pressures - the reason is that the tyre can't be blamed and it reduces warranty claims. If your pressures are high, you'll get tread punctures - that's a problem for the vehicle owner. If your pressures are low, you can delaminate the sidewalls - thats potentially a warranty claim.

Same deal with rent-a-cars - they all pump the pressures up.
FollowupID: 749901

Reply By: Phill T - Saturday, Jan 14, 2012 at 20:52

Saturday, Jan 14, 2012 at 20:52
Hi Carreen,
Some time ago I researched what would be the best all round tyre, and value for money, and came up with BFG and Toyo. I eventually went Toyo, and was not disappointed.
Shortly after, I read this:-
http://home.iprimus.com.au/rfh/tyres%20pt2.html
It makes a very interesting read as does his page on Tyre Pressures, a "must read" I recon. (His whole site is a good read actually)

Good luck.
AnswerID: 474920

Reply By: Cheeky1 - Sunday, Jan 15, 2012 at 14:06

Sunday, Jan 15, 2012 at 14:06
Yep I agree with most of the others.
The BFG A/T's are a great tyre.
I've done over eighty thousand k's on mine and still have enough tread for another ten at least. Most of which have been towing the camper on dirt and black track.
The walls don't bulge out too much when you deflate them which is good for rocky tracks.
Cheeky1
AnswerID: 474957

Reply By: Carreen - Monday, Jan 16, 2012 at 10:00

Monday, Jan 16, 2012 at 10:00
Hi All,
Thanks for all the advice and comments. It helped confirm our thoughts of sticking with the Goodrich all terrains.
Carreen
AnswerID: 475058

Sponsored Links