Is access available to Maryville Rd out to Chambers Pillar NT

Submitted: Saturday, Jan 14, 2012 at 14:18
ThreadID: 91208 Views:1679 Replies:2 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Can anyone let me know if the Maryvale Road from Alice Springs to Chambers Pillar is open to the public. I believe this road basically follows the Old Ghan Rail Route

Cheers
Rick
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Hairy (WA) - Saturday, Jan 14, 2012 at 14:34

Saturday, Jan 14, 2012 at 14:34
Gday,
Short answer is yes.
Normally when people talk about the "Maryvale road" they mean the Hugh river stock route and yes that is a public road.
But when you say"follows the old Ghan line" you would be talking about the" Finke track" or "Old South road", and yes that is also a public road.

Cheers
AnswerID: 474894

Reply By: Motherhen - Saturday, Jan 14, 2012 at 16:13

Saturday, Jan 14, 2012 at 16:13
Hi Rick

We went from Alice Spring down the Old South Road (Finke Road), going to Chambers Pillar but no further south. Our return was via the Hugh Stock Road. I have a Blog in My Blogs called South of Alice under 2008 you may like to check out. There is now a recently opened new campground for the Pillar, and a little work has been done on the access track from Maryvale in conjunction with this. Like any inland NT roads, the Old South can be corrugated, and the access track varied from loose sand, solid corrugations, the hard capped dunes section (announce on reaching this on specified channel), and crossing the Charlotte Range.

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 474901

Sponsored Links