Darwin to Perth with two dogs

Submitted: Monday, Jan 16, 2012 at 10:11
ThreadID: 91236 Views:2500 Replies:5 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
We are planning to do the circle starting in July and will have our two dogs with us. Both obedience trained and well behaved. Can anyone who has travelled from Darwin to Perth and Perth to Adelaide tell me anything we should be aware of, i.e. where we can go and where we can't. I guess all National Parks are out of the question but are there other places worth seeing that aren't restricted?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - John and Lynne - Monday, Jan 16, 2012 at 11:09

Monday, Jan 16, 2012 at 11:09
National Parks and some caravan parks do not allow dogs. Check with Camps 6 and other such guides when planning your trip. You will be able to find camp sites but not always prime ones by the beach.
Always carry your dogs' vet certificates etc in case you need to leave them in a kennel for day care while you go to a dog unfriendly place or they need medical treatment.
The main hazard for your dogs will be the baits pastoralists put out for control of wild dogs. There is no antidote and it is a horrible way to see your dog die. In pastoral areas keep your dogs close and do not let them run free. Check bush camp sites carefully. Baited areas are supposed to be signed but signs may be out of date or not clearly displayed. Sometimes crows etc carry baits to unbaited areas. So take care anywhere in pastoral areas. Lynne
AnswerID: 475068

Reply By: Goldmad - Monday, Jan 16, 2012 at 11:15

Monday, Jan 16, 2012 at 11:15
Hi I would say be wary of the 1080 baits when you camp overnight.Birds can pick them
up and carry then drop them. Couple of years ago two pets picked up baits in a C/P in
the same year. Don't let them run free.
Brian
AnswerID: 475069

Follow Up By: Goldmad - Monday, Jan 16, 2012 at 11:20

Monday, Jan 16, 2012 at 11:20
Looks like you got a reply while I was typing, but yes Baits.
FollowupID: 750022

Follow Up By: Grumblebum and the Dragon - Monday, Jan 16, 2012 at 12:03

Monday, Jan 16, 2012 at 12:03
Baits are not a big risk unless you camp on Pastoral country. If you do then do not relay on signs - they are often widely spaced. It is no good keeping an 'eye' on your dog. A dog can swallow a bait (bit of meat) faster than you can react. If in doubt muzzle them.

Having said that we travellled very slowly from Kununurra to Perth with two large dogs - un-muzzled and had no problems and we free camped wherever. Graziers do not usually bait in areas the public can access ie waterholes etc.

25mm of rain will normally render baits harmless.

Regards

John
FollowupID: 750025

Follow Up By: equinox - Monday, Jan 16, 2012 at 13:01

Monday, Jan 16, 2012 at 13:01
A couple of people in this thread have mentioned that it is only pastoral country you have to worry about. Not quite true. Nature Reserves also cop a flogging with the stuff, as does unallocated crown land.

Image Could Not Be Found

Looking for adventure.
In whatever comes our way.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 750029

Follow Up By: Member - John and Lynne - Monday, Jan 16, 2012 at 15:27

Monday, Jan 16, 2012 at 15:27
We saw Bait signs between Norseman and Ceduna and were also warned about baits by Roadhouse staff in some unsigned areas along that road. We found it best to assume they could be anywhere! If in doubt muzzles are a good idea. Once the dog has found one you won't be quick enough to get it out of his mouth. Our dog travelled safely and we camped well behind rest areas (which, in theory, should be safe) the whole way across the Eyre Highway but we were very careful and she is fairly quiet these days and not inclined to rush off. Lynne
FollowupID: 750040

Reply By: Member - John and Val - Monday, Jan 16, 2012 at 12:02

Monday, Jan 16, 2012 at 12:02
In semi arid areas there can be plenty of very sharp burrs with vicious spines. Check their coats and feet to see that they dont get these sticking in them.

Cheers,

Val.
J and V
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 475075

Reply By: aboutfivebucks (Pilbara) - Monday, Jan 16, 2012 at 18:12

Monday, Jan 16, 2012 at 18:12
Broome is a difficult place to stay in peak season with a dog. You can stay at Roebuck Plains, Port Smith or Bran Hill.

Also - to visit Cape Range National Park (Ningaloo) Stay at Exmouth Ningaloo Caravan Park. Check your dogs into the council kennels across the road for the day while you visit the Nat park.

AnswerID: 475103

Follow Up By: aboutfivebucks (Pilbara) - Monday, Jan 16, 2012 at 18:13

Monday, Jan 16, 2012 at 18:13
Whoops,

Bran Hill = Barn Hill.

FollowupID: 750059

Reply By: Member - The Crow (QLD) - Wednesday, Jan 18, 2012 at 03:31

Wednesday, Jan 18, 2012 at 03:31
Leave them at home if you can. We brought our Jack Russell with us and he has to be tied up all the time. You carnt leave them in the car when you go shopping. Restricts you for weekend trips. Sometimes it difficult to find somwhere to board him so you can do some site seeing so you have to give it a miss. Its terrible for the dog to be tied up for 24hrs a day particulary if the the dog generally has the run of his own yard we wish we had left our dog at home with friends or family. Plus you are allways affraid that while you are not there they will start barking or howling no stop as we have heard other dogs doing in some of the places we have stayed.
200 Series V8 Diesel
Thanks for the Rest Flying West and Flying Very Low along the track not coming back. The Crow

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 475257

Sponsored Links