Heavy Duty Eyelets

Submitted: Monday, Jan 16, 2012 at 14:41
ThreadID: 91243 Views:3865 Replies:6 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
I have a tarp used at the beach (where the winds can pick up) where the eyelet on the apex keeps ripping out due to the force of the wind. The polytarp has a canvas gusset stitched in into which an eyelit has been fitted.

The centre/apex eyelets rip out after a few uses at the beach, this is with a very good quality tarp, with poles on most outer eyelits/d rings and springs on the guy ropes.

Has anyone seen a more heavy duty eyelet or alternative solutions available ?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Allan B (Member, SunCoast) - Monday, Jan 16, 2012 at 15:09

Monday, Jan 16, 2012 at 15:09
Hi Rod,

Obviously there is a lot of force being placed on the small area of the eyelet.

Try cutting a tennis ball in halves, drill or punch a hole in the ball, thread it over the tent pole pin before placing the pin through the eyelet.
The ball will spread the load over a greater area.

There are also accessories available in camping stores which are plastic hemispheres with a coil spring under, designed to be placed on the pole. Only problem is that they are intended to be used where there is no eyelet and so have no pin. The absence of a pin makes them unstable but you could add a pin to overcome this.

Cheers
Allan

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 475094

Follow Up By: Rod - Monday, Jan 16, 2012 at 16:21

Monday, Jan 16, 2012 at 16:21
Thanks, I already have tried a red spring loaded top hat manufactured by supapeg like you suggest. Was hoping for a grommet type solution
FollowupID: 750050

Reply By: kev.h - Monday, Jan 16, 2012 at 22:30

Monday, Jan 16, 2012 at 22:30
Had same problem my solution was to sew a disc of canvas 300mm dia onto the tarp both sides (my tarp had a large hole) and put the eyelet in the ctr (you can get heavy duty eyelets) then get a loop sewn next to the eyelet which you can tie down to the adjuster screw on the pole - this stops the flapping in strong wind i also peg down the base of the pole
Hope this makes sense if not i'll try to post a sketch
works for me
Cheers Kev
AnswerID: 475142

Reply By: Member - Carl- Tuesday, Jan 17, 2012 at 06:50

Tuesday, Jan 17, 2012 at 06:50
Try sewing a" D" ring to the tarp and this will prevent this. A canvas or horse rug guy / girl ( not wanting to appear sexist in the modern world) will know what you need.

You can go to a bigger eyelet (normally tarps have a SP4 eyelet) that being a number 6 but I suspect the same thing will happen.
AnswerID: 475166

Reply By: Member - Joe n Mel n kids (FNQ - Tuesday, Jan 17, 2012 at 14:25

Tuesday, Jan 17, 2012 at 14:25
Hi Rod...
You will find that the problem is simply a cheap tarp, what they say is h/d was the cheap of old, to be honest even the VERY H/D ones now days are what we used to sell as very cheap "alternatives" ............
Yes you can get some gussets sewn in around the eyelets to make then stronger but it will cost you and you still have a "cheap" tarp, and to make it worse it is actually getting very hard to even BUY a good tarp these days .....
Cheers
Joe
AnswerID: 475195

Reply By: Member - Hunjy (NSW) - Tuesday, Jan 17, 2012 at 14:46

Tuesday, Jan 17, 2012 at 14:46
Rod
You problably don't go to the beach when its raining so if you get a shadecloth tarp which is suppose to stop 96% or thereabouts of sun the wind just blows through it and doesn't flap about to much.
I have been using a 5m x 3.6m for years now and its eyelets are still showing little signs of wear.

Cheers
Mal
AnswerID: 475197

Reply By: Rod - Tuesday, Jan 17, 2012 at 16:52

Tuesday, Jan 17, 2012 at 16:52
Thanks All. I have had the tarp repaired today with another gusset and eyelet so will see how it goes.
AnswerID: 475209

Sponsored Links