Batton Hill Camp

Submitted: Tuesday, Jan 17, 2012 at 16:34
ThreadID: 91270 Views:3122 Replies:6 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
We are thinking of going in to Batton Hill camp this winter. Wondering about the track in from Jervois area. We would be towing a Topaz off road van.
Also does anyone know about permits etc, and what there is to do while there.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: dieseltojo - Tuesday, Jan 17, 2012 at 16:53

Tuesday, Jan 17, 2012 at 16:53
Hi merimay,
If you get into that area, you will be used to corrugations and from Jervois to Batton Hill is a good track.
We always came out off Batton Hill after doing the Hay River track and never had a problem going out through Jervois. where we topped up the tanks.
That was about 5 years ago though, don't know how it is currently.
AnswerID: 475210

Reply By: Member - John and Val - Tuesday, Jan 17, 2012 at 17:36

Tuesday, Jan 17, 2012 at 17:36
You will need a permit to go to Batton Hill. You get one from Jol Fleming - contact details are are here if you click on this link and go down a few pages.

Was last there in 2007, when the track in from Jervois was in very good condition. The camp was good with hot showers, flushing toilets and a great camp kitchen. From there you could drive down to Lake Caroline (need 4wd to get across the usually dry sandy river), although you might want to camp there overnight. You can go out to Goyders Pillar to watch the sunset. Maybe take the bush tucker tour if its still running, but we weren't convinced that it was good value when we did it.

In 07 there was a start made at putting in a walking track going out a couple of kms from the Batton Hill camp to showcase natural features - not sure whether that plan came to fruition - others who have been there more recently may know.

All up I think 4 days there would be enough to see and do what is available there.

There is a bit more info on this site if you use the search facility at the top RH of the main forum page.

Cheers,

Val.
J and V
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 475214

Reply By: ian - Tuesday, Jan 17, 2012 at 18:02

Tuesday, Jan 17, 2012 at 18:02
I was there a few months ago. Road was excellent, with a bit of a sandy crossing before you reach the turnoff into the camp. It will not be a problem. The camp was very busy when I was there, lots of vehicles and people, and that was a problem. From memory it is a bit expensive, but I think it is well run overall. Jervois station camp area is a viable alternative. Property managers are pleasant, and some people prefer it to Batton Hill.
ian
AnswerID: 475215

Reply By: Member - peter f (VIC) - Tuesday, Jan 17, 2012 at 19:01

Tuesday, Jan 17, 2012 at 19:01
when we passed through Batton Hill in 2010 the cost was $125 per vehicle
including motor bikes , $15 per head per night to camp , a ripoff !!!!!!!!
the facilitys are good though !!
mechpete
AnswerID: 475219

Reply By: RobAck - Tuesday, Jan 17, 2012 at 19:05

Tuesday, Jan 17, 2012 at 19:05
Plenty to see and do. Bird watching and a bush tucker tour and sunset at Goyders Pillar. Head South to camp at Lake Caroline and there are other tracks to go wandering around. Permits definitely required.

Give Jol Fleming a call or email and he can give you the best advice possible and I am sure he can guide you on a decent experience

In regard to road conditions that is impossible to advise on until the week before as the weather conditions will drive what you experience

We ran Ultimates and TVans across the Simpson and up the Hay River this year with no problems apart from plenty of bush pin stripes. So getting a Topaz along what is just a dirt road will not be a problem

Regards

RobA

AnswerID: 475222

Reply By: 92GQ - Tuesday, Jan 17, 2012 at 19:57

Tuesday, Jan 17, 2012 at 19:57
Hi Merimay,

I had the absolute pleasure of travelling the Hay River Track in July 2011. Our party was two vehicles, both towing Campers (one was a TVan). We also came in from the North, stopping at Jervois to top up fuel and have a chat. The track into Batton Hill was in good condition at that time and posed no challenges at all (and yes, the crossing just before the turn off into the camp was quite sandy).

The facilities at Batton Hill were simple, relatively new and well maintained. Flushing toilets and hot showers are luxurious when you're camping out in the middle of nowhere. There is an ample supply of firewood to keep the "bush Tele" on channel and we were also fortunate enough to have Max keep us company and share a yarn of two while we gazed into the embers.

We stayed for two nights at Batton Hill, doing the Bush Tucker Tour and then watching the Sun set over Goyders Pillar whilst enjoying a cleansing Ale. As far as value for money goes - only you can judge that ! I myself reckon that the price was a little high BUT I would pay it again readily. Our crew (only three of us) enjoyed the Tour enormously. Max (our Guide/Host) was great company and very obliging when we wanted to tarry a little longer here and there or investigate "just one more" burrow in search of the elusive Echidna.

We chose to follow the track alongside the Hay River (rather than driving in the Riverbed), although we did cross over and take a detour into Lake Caroline - it still had quite a deal of water in it at that time. The Southern end of the Track is quite heavily timbered in places and weaves in and out of the trees. We didn't clip any trees (with the Trailers) but with the Topaz being a little longer than our Rigs you will need to stay alert.

Fuel consumption From Jervois to Mount Dare (via the French Line) was just a tad over 200 litres for me and about 230 litres for my travelling companions. Both of us piloting 4.2l Patrols (Diesel/Turbo/Intercooled).

Oh, and don't forget to arrange your Permit well in advance as noted above.

Happy Travels !
AnswerID: 475224

Sponsored Links