Review: Barefoot Roving - The Travelling Kitchen

My Shop Item Rating: My Rating 5/5

This is not a book that you tuck under your arm as you rush out the door on your next camping trip. For the modern cook, this is a book that might seem like its filled with science experiments, but actually contains age-old blueprints for simple methods used by pioneers and adventurers to keep fresh food from spoiling in the days before refrigeration. I urge everyone to get a copy of this book and try some of these recipes for prosperity! Pass it on to your grand kids and maybe reminisce about how things used to be done before modern technology changed the way we cook and store food forever. This book is a treasure and I think we should try to keep these recipes in our families as part of our pioneering heritage.

As a traveller, even if you have no intent of giving up your fridge, there are some very clever tips here that you can use to reduce your reliance on the fridge - perhaps if your cook uses these tips, there'll be more room in your camp fridge for the drinks!! This book will show you how to go about making your own vinegar, chutneys, mustard, various types of yeast (eg from hops & potato or cream of tartar & sugar etc), all sorts of breads, cakes, biscuits etc, and how to preserve fresh vegetables and meats using pickling techniques just like the early pioneers would have in years past before modern kitchens had refrigeration. We all have something to either remember, or learn from this book and I'd just like to thank the author for putting this together to share with us. Totally unique!
David (DM) & Michelle (MM)
---------------------------------
Always working not enough travelling!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Jack - Tuesday, Jan 17, 2012 at 20:07

Tuesday, Jan 17, 2012 at 20:07
Strewth, that was quick! I am keenly interested in this stuff, so I went to buy it, and it is 'unavailable'. Any chance of a 'heads up' when they are back in stock again.

Cheers
Jack
The hurrieder I go, the behinder I get. (Lewis Carroll-Alice In Wonderland)

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 475227

Follow Up By: ExplorOz - David & Michelle - Tuesday, Jan 17, 2012 at 23:28

Tuesday, Jan 17, 2012 at 23:28
Hi Jack,
Yes sorry about that. I think our retail stock arrives in a few days. I was given a copy in advance to read/review. We'll also have a promotion on it in our next newsletter so keep an eye out for that! Glad you like this stuff too! We think its rather neat.
Cherio, MM

David (DM) & Michelle (MM)
---------------------------------
Always working not enough travelling!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 750209

Sponsored Links