Caravan Suspensions

Submitted: Tuesday, Jan 17, 2012 at 23:07
ThreadID: 91283 Views:1542 Replies:3 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
As I mentioned in a previous thread we are starting to look at second hand caravans. I have noticed that quite a few advertised say they have new springs and shockers fitted.
Is this a common problem with them leading to my next question. Do they make them too light from new.

Thanks

David
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Notso - Tuesday, Jan 17, 2012 at 23:27

Tuesday, Jan 17, 2012 at 23:27
I've owned three vans so far, one had Coils and Shocks, lasted about 15 years before I sold it, never needed any replaced. Next van had Leaf Springs, (no shocks) lasted 9 or 10 years never replaced any springs.

I've had a few friends who've broken a spring.
AnswerID: 475250

Reply By: Grumblebum and the Dragon - Wednesday, Jan 18, 2012 at 08:31

Wednesday, Jan 18, 2012 at 08:31
David,

Like everthing else in life there are good products and much less good ones.

Some are designed for specific purposes some are just general purpose. It really depends what you want to use a van for. Personally I would not take a std budget model leaf spring sprung van down seriously corrugated road that my Bushtracker frequents, but on the main highways it may be fine.

If you are a first time van buyer you need to do a lot of research - evn for a 2nd hand van. If you are a first time buyer my advert in the classified may be of assistance to you.

Regards

John
AnswerID: 475272

Reply By: koshar1 - Wednesday, Jan 18, 2012 at 09:29

Wednesday, Jan 18, 2012 at 09:29
a lot of vans suspensions are rated for not much above the supplied weight of the van, then people put lockers, water tanks and bike racks and solar cells and luggage and cooking utensils etc etc .... in them and guess what, they then weigh more than the suspension is rated all of a sudden.

this is when people often decide to upgrade suspension and braking components.
AnswerID: 475282

Sponsored Links