would i need New shocks?

Submitted: Wednesday, Jan 18, 2012 at 07:50
ThreadID: 91288 Views:1973 Replies:16 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all,

I have a 75 series Troopy 1990 model and planing a trip around oz.

Would just like some thoughts on if i should buy some New shocks and if so what are some good brands that won't break the bank?

The shocks that are on it at the moment are original but not leaking and seem to be ok but Im just worried that when i hit the corrigations something might go wrong.

Any feed back is appreciated
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: WBS - Wednesday, Jan 18, 2012 at 08:00

Wednesday, Jan 18, 2012 at 08:00
I faced a similar dilemma as you before my half lap with my 80 Series. I opted to put on new before I left and I was glad I did. At least I had confidence they would be ok on the rough roads while the originals may not have been. I didn't want to take the chance. I used Koni shocks and am happy with their performance. My original shocks seemed to be in good condition but I think 22 year old shocks are well past their use by date.

WBS
AnswerID: 475267

Reply By: Robin Miller - Wednesday, Jan 18, 2012 at 08:17

Wednesday, Jan 18, 2012 at 08:17
I'd replace them while ok and carry at least 1 of each as spares Carps.

Had plenty of sucess here with adjustable Tough dogs and also lower cost fixed Ironman.

But get it checked by a suspension place as your springs may have sagged and right length shock is important.
Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 475270

Reply By: vk1dx - Wednesday, Jan 18, 2012 at 08:40

Wednesday, Jan 18, 2012 at 08:40
Carps

With such a large trip and the possibility of many different road and track conditions I would spend the money on a full inspection by a 4wd mechanic and then decide what you should be. Get him/her to prioritise the works as no doubt budget and time may play a part.

We get an inspection before any large trip we do. Trips like Cape York, the Simpson, or the Kimberley type. Only the major ones like the one you are doing. They check just about every nut and bolt and give it a grease and oil change. Nothing major just the safety and reliability stuff. And we also get a 5 minute check up for nicks when we come back. All part of the service. This bloke is tops.

Phil
AnswerID: 475273

Reply By: Member - John and Val - Wednesday, Jan 18, 2012 at 08:58

Wednesday, Jan 18, 2012 at 08:58
Those 75 series shocks seem to go forever. We replaced the shocks on our 87 model at 300,000km, but only because the group trip we were doing required new shocks to be fitted. The OMEs that replaced them have now done 100,000km and are still fine, but I guess a lot depends on where and how you drive. We do our share of rough and corrugated tracks but do drive conservatively. I dont think we have noticed any difference in ride or handling.

If you do go for repleacement, remember to reclaim the old shocks and carry a front and rear as spares.

Cheers,

Val
J and V
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 475276

Reply By: Gossy - Wednesday, Jan 18, 2012 at 09:22

Wednesday, Jan 18, 2012 at 09:22
yes get new shocks. They are mass produced for a price. Wouldn't get too caught up on brands; especially here on this chat group. It's like tyres and everyone will have their own opinion. If you stick with the larger brands sold thru TJM, Opposite Lock and ARB then you'll be fine.

Yes do replace them!

Enjoy the trip.
AnswerID: 475280

Reply By: Member - Royce- Wednesday, Jan 18, 2012 at 10:18

Wednesday, Jan 18, 2012 at 10:18
Here's the thing... I've done the loop or the equivalent about 5 times now.

The first time I had the old HJ47 checked top to bottom and spent a mint fixing anything that could go wrong. I also packed way too much.

The next time I prepared, but less so.

The next time I drove the '88 75 series, and on two occasions the old Transit van.

If I decide to head off to Darwin, or Proserpine, or Perth from Gippsland in Vic. now... I check the oil and water and head off.

It's all Oz.
Supercheap, Repco and Autobarn are in every big city. My brother in law reckons that the Northern Territory is called the NT because it means "Nother Toyota". Parts and support are much the same everywhere.

If you are just travelling on main roads with little trips of a day or two to the side then just give the vehicle a good check over and head off. You'll be okay.

Enjoy.
AnswerID: 475288

Reply By: Mick O - Wednesday, Jan 18, 2012 at 10:30

Wednesday, Jan 18, 2012 at 10:30
I’ve had a very good run out of the Tough Dog Big Bore Adjustables. I’d previously been through a couple of sets of OME over the years (Couldn’t cope with corrugations) and also had a very good run out of Ironman shocks and suspension on the Navara. I lust after Koni’s but they are VERY expensive.

The beauty of the adjustables is that you can control the damper to suit the conditions. On heavy corrugations we have them wound down to zero and with appropriate driving techniques and tyre pressures, the results are excellent. It also allows the shocker to run at lower temperatures (50C for the TDA as opposed to 157C for the OME Nitros after a short stint on the Canning around Well 33). They are a very reasonable price as well.

Whatever your intended route or travel, time spent on ensuring the suspension, tyres and shocks are in top condition should be a number one priority.

Cheers Mick
''We knew from the experience of well-known travelers that the
trip would doubtless be attended with much hardship.''
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 475290

Reply By: B1B2 - Wednesday, Jan 18, 2012 at 10:32

Wednesday, Jan 18, 2012 at 10:32
G'day Carps,
It really depends on how remote you are travelling. I had Pedder foam ones fitted to my 80 series, but insisted they do NOT use nylox nuts, use 2 lock nuts. Carry a spare front and rear shocker, and definitely have plenty of spare urethane bushes.
With lock nuts you can change the bushes easily, this will be the first thing you will shred on the corrugations. It is difficult to hold the shocker to stop it turning, if you have nylox nuts, as they only have the small flat on the spindle to hold it.

Enjoy the trip,

Bill
AnswerID: 475291

Follow Up By: pop2jocem - Wednesday, Jan 18, 2012 at 12:48

Wednesday, Jan 18, 2012 at 12:48
Good advice about the 2 locknuts and spare bushes.

Cheers
Pop
FollowupID: 750258

Reply By: Allan B (Member, SunCoast) - Wednesday, Jan 18, 2012 at 12:09

Wednesday, Jan 18, 2012 at 12:09
You never know your luck!

Before the 2010 season I changed my shockers as a precaution. Tough Dogs.
Halfway through the 2011 trip a front shocker totally failed! 12,000kM. Bad luck.
Fortunately I carry spares. Good luck.
Still waiting to hear about my warranty claim. Unresolved luck.

Cheers
Allan

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 475299

Reply By: Bazooka - Wednesday, Jan 18, 2012 at 12:17

Wednesday, Jan 18, 2012 at 12:17
It's not the end of the world if one or two of your shocks fail Carps but if you're worried then that's a good reason to replace them. Got Lovells for my Jackaroo online from here at a very good price:

Shock supplier

I found him easy to deal with and straight to the point with advice.
AnswerID: 475300

Reply By: pop2jocem - Wednesday, Jan 18, 2012 at 12:44

Wednesday, Jan 18, 2012 at 12:44
Hi carps,

Now before everone on the forum jumps down my throat let me say I am not advising you not to change the shocks on your vehicle. I guess it depends on how badly corrogated the tracks are that you are planning on travelling.
IMVHO leaf sprung vehicles like your 1990 75 series and my '91 model have an inherent "dampening' because of the friction between the leaves. Coil springs are a whole other matter and good quality shocks are extremely important.
I replaced the shocks on mine in 1998 at 156,000 before we travelled down the CSR. Didn't notice much change. Anyone who has done this trip and tracks with similar corrrrrrugations know what I mean. The same shocks are still there and as far as I can tell seem to perform much the same.
I would thoroughly recommend an inspection of the springs and particularly the mounting bushes by someone you can trust. Unfortunately suspension shops do have a vested interest in supplying new parts, which on vehicles of the vintage of ours may or may not be up to scratch.

Cheers
Pop
AnswerID: 475303

Follow Up By: Member - John and Val - Wednesday, Jan 18, 2012 at 13:59

Wednesday, Jan 18, 2012 at 13:59
Good point about differing suspension systems and the friction between the leaf springs. The shocks on our 87 leaf sprung troopy are barely warm to the touch when those on coil sprung vehicles are very hot.

Cheers,

Val
J and V
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 750267

Reply By: vk1dx - Wednesday, Jan 18, 2012 at 12:46

Wednesday, Jan 18, 2012 at 12:46
We opted for Bilsteins. One failed on a Cape York trip. A spare was fitted at the time.

When home the warranty issue was resolved immediately with a replacement delivered and fitted the next day.

Will get the same again if I need any.

Phil
AnswerID: 475304

Reply By: Member - Scott M (NSW) - Wednesday, Jan 18, 2012 at 14:10

Wednesday, Jan 18, 2012 at 14:10
At least with replacing them while they're still working gives you a set of spares.

Age and use aren't the only issues - I holed a fairly new OME between Mt Dare & Dalhousie - one big mother rock and pffft - leaking shockie ....

AnswerID: 475309

Reply By: Crackles - Wednesday, Jan 18, 2012 at 18:20

Wednesday, Jan 18, 2012 at 18:20
Shocks are a consumable item on a car no different to a fuel filter which you wouldn't wait to fail before replacing. Depending on roads travelled, a standard shock could have a considerable reduction in performance in as little as 50,000 km and it's not just the ride that is rougher but poor shocks can contribute to failed suspension parts, longer braking distances & poor handling. Heavier duty shocks are also an advantage in controlling the increased load everyone takes on extended trips.
While I run Bilstiens & Koni shocks on my vehicles, for a good quality shock at a reasonable price the big bore Extreme Rox shocks would suit the Troopy having twin tube protection & Velocity Sensitive Valving for excellent control on corrugations.
As already said, take the old ones as spares as even the best shocks can sustain damage.
Cheers Craig.................

PS: Wouldn't touch OME. On my trips the worst performing shock.
AnswerID: 475342

Reply By: ross - Wednesday, Jan 18, 2012 at 19:32

Wednesday, Jan 18, 2012 at 19:32
If they are the original shocks on a 22 year old vehicle I would be replacing them before you go.
Ive had good runs out of the Dobinson shocks and the RAW4X4 shocks.

Letting some air out of the tyres on the corrugations will help the suspension
AnswerID: 475349

Reply By: Member - Alastair D (NSW) - Thursday, Jan 19, 2012 at 10:17

Thursday, Jan 19, 2012 at 10:17
Carps,
It sounds like you do not know how long the shocks have been on the vehicle. I would take the advantage of the time before you leave to crawl around underneath and check every nut and bolts you can see. Wiggle anything that might move and replace anything that seems suspect. It is much easier to do before leaving and makes for a happier trip.

Take off your shocks and check them - replace if in any doubt and take 1 front & rear as a spare as suggested above. Even if they are ok and you replace them, grease the threads and check the bushes so they are easy to replace in the field if necessary.

Even if a shock goes it just means you have to slow right down and go quietly, it does not stop the vehicle.

Have a great trip.

cheers
AnswerID: 475397

Sponsored Links