Anne Beadell & Gunbarrel

Has anyone gone this way around late October into early November when the Temperatures around mid high 30's?..... Also anyone done this trip without a 2nd vehicle during winter or spring?.

Both these options ok? (in your opinion), I understand everyone has different ideas and experiences.

Cheers,
Mick.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: The Explorer - Friday, Jan 20, 2012 at 10:38

Friday, Jan 20, 2012 at 10:38
Hi

I am lead to believe you are not allowed (i.e. they won't issue a permit) to travel certain sections of the Gunbarrel at any time of the year as a solo vehicle....but I could be wrong

Cheers
Greg
I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 475479

Follow Up By: Member - Frank P (NSW) - Friday, Jan 20, 2012 at 10:55

Friday, Jan 20, 2012 at 10:55
You're right, Explorer. We travelled the Old Gunbarrel Hwy in 2009 from Warakurna to Carnegie. To get permits you needed to be in convoy, be totally self sufficient and have long-range communications (sat phone or HF) and PLB.

We had a convoy of 5, and amongst us we had mechanical, electrical, electronic and first-aid qualifications, matching tools, equipment and spares and the required communications stuff. They wanted to know all that in our application and we were approved.

I have heard of others less successful, despite seemingly meeting the requirements.

Cheers

Frank
FrankP

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 750431

Follow Up By: Grumblebum and the Dragon - Friday, Jan 20, 2012 at 19:01

Friday, Jan 20, 2012 at 19:01
We did the section from Carnegie Stn to the Heather Highway and on to the NT border in May 2010 - single vehicle towing a 19' Bushtracker caravan. Magic trip and no problems and we had a permit. However temperatures late in the years could be pretty savage and you need to be well prepared at any time of year - ie HF Radio or at least a sat phone and very well prepared equipment.

Recovery costs from the middle of the Gibson Desert would by VERY expensive.

REgards

John
FollowupID: 750462

Follow Up By: vk1dx - Friday, Jan 20, 2012 at 21:43

Friday, Jan 20, 2012 at 21:43
Frank

What does "PLB" stand for?

Phil
FollowupID: 750474

Follow Up By: vk1dx - Friday, Jan 20, 2012 at 21:48

Friday, Jan 20, 2012 at 21:48
I worked it out. It's an EPIRB or the like. Damned abbreviations.

I will not carry one of them. If you trigger it the whole world comes down on you, and all you needed was to get a fuel dump or set a broken leg. That's why we got a phone. HF wasn't reliable enough.

Phil
FollowupID: 750475

Follow Up By: equinox - Friday, Jan 20, 2012 at 22:25

Friday, Jan 20, 2012 at 22:25
Hi Phil,

The whole world won't come down on you mate, and you will probably live to fight another day....

They are worth considering.

Cheers
Alan

Looking for adventure.
In whatever comes our way.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 750479

Follow Up By: vk1dx - Saturday, Jan 21, 2012 at 08:29

Saturday, Jan 21, 2012 at 08:29
I usually put my flack jacket on when I say things like that.

We did consider the EPIRBS etc. Even took my HF ham stuff out with us once. The phone was handy to send the GPS location via email and let them call us. The GPS email is built in and its just the press of a button. The HF was fine during the day but not the best after midnight. All I got was a bunch of mates from the USA and Canada. I didn't hear a thing on the 4WD HF Radio frequencies. I did not call as I am not licensed for there. And yes I tried all the HF spectrum. The only Australian stations I heard were a couple of insomniac Australians on 40 meters (7Mhz band).

On that we decided to just take the satellite phone.

Each to his own. But as said by lots of sensible people. You MUST take something.

Question: Are the 4WD HF Radio service base stations manned 24/7?

Phil
FollowupID: 750499

Reply By: rocco2010 - Friday, Jan 20, 2012 at 14:50

Friday, Jan 20, 2012 at 14:50
Gidday,

I was on the Anne Beadell to Neale Junction, the Connie Sue to Warburton and then the Gunbarrel to Wiluna in July last year.
If you are travelling solo you won't be alone out there at that time of year. I was with a group and we encountered a few solo travellers. The night we camped at Carnegie there were probably six or eight groups of different sizes and a few solos as well.
I didn't think the tracks were that difficult technically, just the usual WA desert tracks: some washed out bits, some soft bits, some rocky bits, the ocasional good bits and lots of corrugated bits. With the usual proviso of an experienced driver in a suitable vehicle driven sensibly and with some form of communications equipment (HF or sat phone) it wouldn't seem to be a major problem travelling solo.

As for being out there in October/November ... not my cup of tea

It is a great part of the world I hope you enjoy it as much as I did

Cheers

Rocco
AnswerID: 475499

Reply By: Member - Michael P (QLD) - Friday, Jan 20, 2012 at 14:57

Friday, Jan 20, 2012 at 14:57
Pyalong Hi,
I travelled the Anne Beadell mid October 2010 solo.
The temperatures were ok not much over 30 of the day & very pleasant evenings.
Being late in the travel "season" there was not a lot of other vehicles, For the trip from Coober Pedy to about 30 klm east of Laverton I met 4 other vehicles two solo vehicles and one group of two vehicles.
I mainly travel alone, know the risks and am fairly well prepared.
Hope this helps.
Mike.
AnswerID: 475500

Follow Up By: Member - Frank P (NSW) - Friday, Jan 20, 2012 at 18:13

Friday, Jan 20, 2012 at 18:13
Luv ya map, mate.

Wish it was mine!!

Cheers
FrankP

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 750459

Reply By: Member - Anthony W Adelaide - Friday, Jan 20, 2012 at 17:43

Friday, Jan 20, 2012 at 17:43
Hi Pyalong,

We travelled solo along the Anne Beadell Hwy, Great Central Road, David Carnegie Road, Hunt Oil Road in mid October last year and had excellent travelling weather.
Lots of overcast skies but only a few showers and daytime temps around 30-32 degrees with blankets needed at night.

There were still a few travellers out there at that time and we kept in touch with VKS737 Network every day with our HF Radio which is very reasuring in remote areas.

We travell solo all the time so we can really please ourselves with our itinerary, but we think it is vital to have long range communications for which we choose HF Radio, and use it every day so someone knows we are out there.

The Great Victoria desert was in fantastic condition when we went through due to a couple of good rain seasons and maybe the weather at that time was a little unseasonal, so keep an eye on the weather bureau web site and ring the Ilkurlka Roadhouse for up to the minute conditions.

Cheers, Wooly
Wooly VKS-737 Mobile 0058

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 475519

Follow Up By: Member - Jdub - Friday, Jan 20, 2012 at 18:44

Friday, Jan 20, 2012 at 18:44
We travelled the Anne Beadell mid November way back in 06. Whilst it was hot, 33 degrees overnight, we had the best electrical storms ever, lightning started fires in many directions often blocking our progress. Luckily,nil wind so fires did not travel fast. Great camping stops, toilets & shades on the WA side, bush only on the SA section.
Solo? we did not see another vehicle for the whole trip, so ensure you are competent & well equipped. Corros on SA side play hovoc with some c/t suspensions- can you bush weld etc.

Our trip was trouble free, puctuated by rain which is always enjoyable camped snug in your c/t. Plan a night at Yeo Lakes outstation.

CheersJohn

FollowupID: 750461

Follow Up By: vk1dx - Saturday, Jan 21, 2012 at 08:41

Saturday, Jan 21, 2012 at 08:41
John

I can find Yeo Lakes but have you got a location (Lat/Long is fine) for the outstation that you mentioned?

Phil
FollowupID: 750503

Follow Up By: Member - Jdub - Saturday, Jan 21, 2012 at 12:14

Saturday, Jan 21, 2012 at 12:14
Phil,

Check out 28 04.544S 124 19.044E, just a single building with separate drinking & washing water. Think it had a neat verandah on decking. Don't say its been burnt!

John
FollowupID: 750525

Follow Up By: vk1dx - Saturday, Jan 21, 2012 at 12:49

Saturday, Jan 21, 2012 at 12:49
Got it. Thanks

Phil
FollowupID: 750528

Reply By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Friday, Jan 20, 2012 at 23:13

Friday, Jan 20, 2012 at 23:13
We did Anne Beadell Hwy and Gunbarrel in late October 2006 - had a heatwave - 6 days straight where it was over 40 degrees in the shade. Not very pleasant. Tyres got very hot running low pressures on the corrugations. Found there was some sidewall delamination after we got back home.
AnswerID: 475555

Follow Up By: vk1dx - Saturday, Jan 21, 2012 at 08:31

Saturday, Jan 21, 2012 at 08:31
Phil

What tyres are they?

We are returning a complete set of Cooper STTs (cracking) on monday. and we will then be looking for new rubber.
Phil
FollowupID: 750500

Follow Up By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Saturday, Jan 21, 2012 at 10:37

Saturday, Jan 21, 2012 at 10:37
They were Goodyear MTRs. I guess that's a downside to having an extra thick sidewall. Mind you, I didn't see any problem until 3000kms later as the slight bulge was on the inside of two of the tyres. Did 42,000km of rough trips on those MTRs including Madigan Line and never had a puncture.

Never had Cooper tyres - but have repaired a few for others - they are not n my short list. The Bridgestone D694 have been good to me. Fedreral Couragia A/T have been a good cheap tyre too, but won't get the mileage we get out of Bridgestones.
FollowupID: 750512

Follow Up By: vk1dx - Saturday, Jan 21, 2012 at 11:13

Saturday, Jan 21, 2012 at 11:13
Phil
We have had good service from the Coopers and depending on what I can arrange with the warranty "credit" I may get BFG or Mickeys. Don't know yet. I may only be able to use the "credit" on Coopers.

Money is really not one of our criteria for choosing tyres. I have never compromised to get a "cheap" tyre. It's the last link with reality so to speak. Wear is the same. Haven't a clue. We chop them up quite a bit in the Vic high country and the Snowys. But these are definitely cracks and not road damage. As you can gather we need the extra side wall protection.

Last puncture was in 1971 in my wifes mini at Oran park and she insisted on changing it also. Thats why I married her!!! Joking but still married to the same girl.

Thanks

Phil
FollowupID: 750514

Reply By: Pyalong - Saturday, Jan 21, 2012 at 16:47

Saturday, Jan 21, 2012 at 16:47
Thanks guy's....some good info.....Cheers
AnswerID: 475589

Reply By: Member - 4Motion - Monday, Jan 30, 2012 at 17:30

Monday, Jan 30, 2012 at 17:30
We traveled the whole Anne Beadell form West to East in early October 2011. We had 2 vehicles and for the duration saw about 4 others. One of whom had a broken axle and was waiting for their companions to return from Coober Pedy with a repaired one. They were sitting there about 4 days. I would not like to rely on someone having to come and get you. That said, great trip.
AnswerID: 476400

Sponsored Links