Mud holes, river crossings, all good fun But!!?

Submitted: Saturday, Jan 21, 2012 at 20:52
ThreadID: 91363 Views:2514 Replies:4 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
A While Back i was bogged up to the eyeballs in the landrover,sloppy mud etc trying to save the legs to get around a property..lol....The result of that was one buggered rear and one front wheel bearing, grit and water got past the seal and into the hub. ..The thing is it wasn't very much as the diff oil had not discoloured,..So when on a long trip and with plenty of water and mud crossings, do you really know whats going on...Grease and sand with a dribble of water is like having a grinder in there..lol., Landrover seals are renown for leaking, but what caught my attention was my neighbours son took his cruiser ute for a play (same yr mod as my landy ute) and they evidentley drove in and out of a dam a few times, Both rear bearings and one hub are now cactus!,So just draining the diff oils,may not be enough maintainance if on a long run in extreme conditions ??.

Cheers Axle.

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: SDG - Saturday, Jan 21, 2012 at 21:36

Saturday, Jan 21, 2012 at 21:36
A few years back while travelling through some wet muddy areas, 4 or 5 landcruisers ( I think they were all Prado) had electrical problems. Going through some puddles, muddy water got into the alternators. The water dried out quickly, but the dirt remained, resulting in the internals grinding away. Some got home under their own poweer, others not.

The alternators it would seem are low in the engine bay. The Patrols, who had absolutly no troubles, have theirs a little higher.
AnswerID: 475623

Follow Up By: Axle - Saturday, Jan 21, 2012 at 22:07

Saturday, Jan 21, 2012 at 22:07
Alternators, and muddy water don't go together, thats for sure'
FollowupID: 750596

Reply By: Robin Miller - Sunday, Jan 22, 2012 at 10:02

Sunday, Jan 22, 2012 at 10:02
Hi Axle

I lament with you , just a few days ago my front wheel bearing collasped a few day after I spent 20 minutes almost up to the door handles in mud unable to get out of the bog.

Just yesterday I remembered to check the drain holes in the doors and they were blocked with mud , so I put a screw driver up them and wiggled it around and let about almost 1 lt of muddy water.

Might be worth checking yours

P.S. It was alledged that I was pulled out of the bog by a girl in a pathfinder - but as no pictures have emerged then none of the above actually happened.
Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 475653

Follow Up By: Member - Fred B (NT) - Sunday, Jan 22, 2012 at 10:17

Sunday, Jan 22, 2012 at 10:17
Oh No... a pathfinder and a "girl".....
Man were you in stife.... lol... (:
He... he... he.... ha... ha ha....
As the saying goes Robin... "All good things come to those who wait.... " lol.
regards

Fred B
VKS 737: Mobile/Selcall 1334

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 750630

Follow Up By: Axle - Sunday, Jan 22, 2012 at 14:01

Sunday, Jan 22, 2012 at 14:01
Hi Robin, Yeah had to use a hammer and screw driver on my doors lol!

Just got back from the neighbour, Not a happy chappy with his son, looks like sand and water has made its way into the rear diff as well, ..although i thought the seals that are there would have prevented that,...Hmmm!, 4bys can be a pain.

Cheers Axle.
FollowupID: 750662

Reply By: member - mazcan - Sunday, Jan 22, 2012 at 14:25

Sunday, Jan 22, 2012 at 14:25
hi axle
after driving in extreme conditions like mentioned if the parts are not dismantled and cleaned and seals replaced after every one can expect failure in the not to distance future or even before getting back to base
it has generally been common knowledge that when you drive into cold water the rapid cooling effect can course water to be drawn in past the seals thats why diff extended breather tubes were invented but with wheel assemblies it hard to aviod the same problem
old story
play in the mud/water and some thing is going to get dirty or damaged boys will be boys and having fun cost money
cheers
AnswerID: 475672

Follow Up By: vk1dx - Sunday, Jan 22, 2012 at 15:27

Sunday, Jan 22, 2012 at 15:27
Mazcan

I agree with you. I feel that after reading carefully the above posts apart from one I feel it has been caused by poor vehicle preparation just as you said. But the jury isn't out yet and if I know human nature not one of those above did anything wrong. Hmmmmm

This is why we have a very experienced 4wder who has his own 4WD workshop as our mechanic. He has been around all manner of 4WD terrain and vehicles for quite a few years and has learnt all the tricks. He gives our car a good service and nut&bolt check both before and after any large trip. It costs, sure. But we feel it's worth it.

Phil
FollowupID: 750668

Follow Up By: Axle - Sunday, Jan 22, 2012 at 17:29

Sunday, Jan 22, 2012 at 17:29
G/Day Phil., ..Just wondering does your mechanic remove all hubs and inspect everything after you have been on a long trip that has encounted numerous mud and water crossings, ....not many i know would do it unless asked to,or a noise has developed. As i stated its hard to know whats going on inside a hub after a crossing, only way would be to pull the thing apart on the side of the road and have a look,.....How many do that...lol?

Cheers Axle.
FollowupID: 750681

Follow Up By: vk1dx - Sunday, Jan 22, 2012 at 17:39

Sunday, Jan 22, 2012 at 17:39
I usually give him a report and we take it from there. I usually do not "play" in mud nor go charging into water. I am happy to wait for the diffs etc to cool down a bit. They never get really hot anyway. because we are not in a hurry any more and tend to drift along more these days. He does slip the boot of and see what the grease looks like and stick a probe into the diffs if he thinks it's worth it.

Luckily he is trustworth and does not charge heaps.

I am unable to do it so this is the best we can expect.

I don't avoide hazards but unlike some I do not go looking for them either. We are out to se the place not rip our car up. Used the chicken tracks many times.

Phil
FollowupID: 750682

Reply By: Member - Fred B (NT) - Sunday, Jan 22, 2012 at 15:59

Sunday, Jan 22, 2012 at 15:59
Hi Axle,
this has made me think about my new 79 series landcruiser and water/mud ingress. I am now thinking about the possible problems with mud getting into the alternator as it is slung very low on the engine. Apparently all if this and more has been discussed on another forum, so will have to go take a look.

regards
Fred B
VKS 737: Mobile/Selcall 1334

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 475679

Follow Up By: Axle - Sunday, Jan 22, 2012 at 17:17

Sunday, Jan 22, 2012 at 17:17
G/Day Fred,.....As usual you hear a million stories,about this that,and everything in between with new models, but i think alternaters getting drowned could well be a issue with the Toyo V8 diesel.

Cheers Axle.

FollowupID: 750679

Sponsored Links