Solar Panels - having both fixed and mobile

Hello fellow Exploroz's
Just wondering if it is at all possible to have a fixed solar panel on the roof of the caravan wired in and a mobile one that we connect for charging through the Anderson plug?
We have two 80 watt panels on a mobile setup and wish to use one to go up on the roof of our new caravan and the other still mobile. The caravan is wired with the provision to have one on the roof.
Has anyone else got this set up? Your views and thoughts and knowledge would be appreciated :-)
Thanks
Steve & Trish
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: CSeaJay - Sunday, Jan 22, 2012 at 17:37

Sunday, Jan 22, 2012 at 17:37
I have this setup.

Fixed on the roof, wired to the CTek regulator. Also have an anderson plug fitted to the regulator, so I simply plug the portable panel in and viola! (effectivly have the fixed and portablein parrallel)
AnswerID: 475694

Follow Up By: Watson - Sunday, Jan 22, 2012 at 17:40

Sunday, Jan 22, 2012 at 17:40
Thanks CSeaJay for that :-) Now we know what to tell the auto electrician and not feel silly as it can be done! Thanks again!
FollowupID: 750683

Reply By: member - mazcan - Sunday, Jan 22, 2012 at 19:01

Sunday, Jan 22, 2012 at 19:01
hiwatson
yes definetly this has been done literaly hundreds of times and it gives you the best of both worlds
where you still have a portable panel that can be used if you park the van and do a couple of days away on a side trip/excursion with the 4wd and a tent etc where the van cant go
and still be able the boost the 4wd's dual battery while using a potable engel or what ever brand fridge you have while camping
cheers
AnswerID: 475706

Follow Up By: Watson - Sunday, Jan 22, 2012 at 20:06

Sunday, Jan 22, 2012 at 20:06
Again thanks. I was sure it could be done. And that we had seen it in our limited travel. Thanks mazcan
FollowupID: 750701

Reply By: Nomadic Navara - Sunday, Jan 22, 2012 at 22:59

Sunday, Jan 22, 2012 at 22:59
If you are going to feed the portable panel into the regulator input, bypass or remove any controller that may be on that panel. You should not have two in series.
PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 475742

Follow Up By: Watson - Monday, Jan 23, 2012 at 08:05

Monday, Jan 23, 2012 at 08:05
Thank you PeterD. We will print out all this info to take to auto electrician just so he knows :-)
FollowupID: 750735

Reply By: Watson - Wednesday, Feb 08, 2012 at 08:21

Wednesday, Feb 08, 2012 at 08:21
Ok, more information that has been given to us by the caravan dealer who will be doing the solar panel mounting on the caravan:-
"You need to have regulators for both panels - the one mounted on the caravan and also one on the portable panel"
Well we have one already on one of the panels - the one we are going to keep as portable. And yes he (the caravan dealer) can supply and fit another regulator in the caravan for the fixed panel.
Ok, so does that sound right?
Also we are not sure what a 'Controller' is! Can anyone explain what that might be and what it does and where it would be?
Thanks again,
Steve and Trish
AnswerID: 477269

Follow Up By: Member - John and Val - Wednesday, Feb 08, 2012 at 20:03

Wednesday, Feb 08, 2012 at 20:03
Hi Watson,

The dealer is sort of right, sort of wrong - Yes there must be a controller between solar panels and battery/s. You do NOT need two controllers. A single controller with adequate capacity (at least 10 or 12 amps) should be mounted close to the battery/s and be fed by your 2 panels. This should preferably be a MPPT type of controller. There should be NO controller on either of the panels. Your fixed panel should be wired directly to the input of the controller, and provision made to plug the second panel into that same controller input.

What's a controller? Bit of a long story, but the essential function is to ensure that the battery doesn't get overcharged. MPPT controllers also do some voltage conversion so that they deliver about 20% extra to the batteries. (Other controllers simply waste this energy.) Sometimes controllers are mounted on the panels, but this is not ideal since they need to respond to the state of the battery, not the panels and operate best if close to the battery so any wiring losses are minimised.

If the caravan dealer isn't aware of the above, suggest have the work done elsewhere.

You might find Electricity for Camping a useful read.

Cheers

John
J and V
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 752493

Follow Up By: Watson - Wednesday, Feb 08, 2012 at 20:26

Wednesday, Feb 08, 2012 at 20:26
Thanks John and Val.
A bit confused...is a regulator another name for a controller?
If not we would need 2 regulators and one controller?
Sorry if we a bit dim witted but we not so good on technical stuff!
We thought we should let dealer install our 80w solar panel (which just has a small black box connected to the back with a wire hanging out of it) and the regulator (good quality apparently) he will supply to caravan as this will be covered by his warranty.
That seems ok as he has done many.
What is confusing him (the caravan dealer) is the fact we want to also be able to plug in our portable panel to charge the battery via the Anderson plug that when driving would be attached to the car.
We hope you can understand this and help :-)
Steve and Trish
FollowupID: 752495

Follow Up By: Member - John and Val - Wednesday, Feb 08, 2012 at 21:01

Wednesday, Feb 08, 2012 at 21:01
Ahaaa .... the plot thickens!!

I hadn't realised that the Anderson Plug you referred to was actually the one used to connect to the vehicle while travelling to provide some charge from the engine.

This plug is in fact connected directly to the battery. In order to connect a panel to that point it would be necessary to have a controller between there and the mobile panel (i.e, probably on the panel itself.) I think this is probably what your installer is suggesting.

An alternative, which I would favour, is to use a single controller mounted close to the battery to handle both panels, with a direct line from the fixed panel to the input of this controller, and a SECOND Anderson plug allowing the mobile panel to plug into that line running from the fixed panel to the input of the controller.

IF however the controller must be mounted on (or close to) the fixed panel, it may not be possible for the 2 panels to share it. In this case, there may be a case for a second controller at the mobile panel, which could then feed into the anderson plug that's normally copnnected to the vehicle.

re The "good quality" regulator ( controller) proposed - while I'm in favor of good quality gear, the question of MPPT type or other type isn't really a matter of quality. It is a matter of their operating principle. An MPPT controller allows the panel to operate at its optimum, and the battery to be optimally charged. Unfortunately the two optima don't coincide so this type of controller does voltage conversion to match them up.

Hope that makes sense

Cheers

John
J and V
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 752496

Follow Up By: Watson - Tuesday, Feb 14, 2012 at 07:10

Tuesday, Feb 14, 2012 at 07:10
Thanks for that info. Problem now solved. The panel we have won't fit atop the caravan. We may get another panel at a later date but meanwhile we will have our 2 x 80s portable! :-)
FollowupID: 752977

Sponsored Links