Bombing of Darwin

Submitted: Tuesday, Jan 24, 2012 at 10:46
ThreadID: 91423 Views:1624 Replies:4 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
There's an ad here for the 70th anniversary of the bombing of Darwin. I lived in Darwin from 1971 to 1987. I was a young chippie and worked for the Department of Works. One job I worked on was the renovation of the old war time Power House in Armidale street Stuart Park. We had to clear out one of the storage sheds. In the shed was all the old daily log running books of the power house (the page size of these log books was about A3 size, so quite large when open), with records from before, during and after the 2nd world war. In looking through these log books and in particular the war years is showed details of air raids on Darwin, which happened more than once. I contacted the Darwin museum only to find they were not interested. We dumped all the log books, something which I've regretted doing ever since. Recorded history gone.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: vk1dx - Tuesday, Jan 24, 2012 at 11:18

Tuesday, Jan 24, 2012 at 11:18
What!! The museum should be shot.

The Australian archives would give their left arm for stuff like that. I would have had them as Dad got wounded in the bombing. He was on the Manunda a hospital ship that the Japs bombed. And the Darwin museum you mentioned could have passed them on to the archives.

What a damned shame.

Phil
AnswerID: 475869

Follow Up By: Member - Doug T (NT) - Wednesday, Jan 25, 2012 at 08:14

Wednesday, Jan 25, 2012 at 08:14
So should the DUMPER.

gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 750965

Follow Up By: vk1dx - Wednesday, Jan 25, 2012 at 08:44

Wednesday, Jan 25, 2012 at 08:44
Disagree Doug

We thought the same at first and then after looking back at that stage in our lives we changed our tune. He was a young chippie and maybe did not have any real "family connection" with the bombing apart from a general "the war came to Australia" attitude that most young folk had at that age and that time.

The culprits are the Museum and his seniors at the job. But they would have been typical of any council team. In to do a job and that's what they do. No thinking outside the box and if the post goes in the middle of the man's driveway bad luck because that's where we will put. It's not our job to question it. Maybe a little thought these days but not then mate. More thought would go into when we have the next cuppa or knock off.

Not the young bloke mate. He could even have been just a teenager then with thoughts for girls only. He at least showed an interest and was not backed up by those around him who should have known.

Phil

FollowupID: 750967

Follow Up By: Member - Doug T (NT) - Wednesday, Jan 25, 2012 at 17:56

Wednesday, Jan 25, 2012 at 17:56
Tiz OK mate, we aint a gunna shoot ya....lol

gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 751008

Reply By: Member - MUZBRY(Vic) - Tuesday, Jan 24, 2012 at 16:27

Tuesday, Jan 24, 2012 at 16:27
Gday Rod
There are 64 official bombing raids on Darwin in the 2nd ww.

Muzbry
Great place to be Mt Blue Rag 27/12/2012

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 475898

Reply By: Robin Miller - Wednesday, Jan 25, 2012 at 07:50

Wednesday, Jan 25, 2012 at 07:50
Sadly we will be attending a funeral service today for my father in law.
He always told the story of how they looked up from digging the trenches at all these planes in the distance flying to darwin.

They all waved - then the officer in command said , stop that you idiots , we don't have that many planes in our whole air-force.

The digging of trenches proceeded at a much faster rate shortly after that.

They had 1 rifle per every 3 men and were issued 3 rounds - its all they had.

Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 475954

Follow Up By: Member - MUZBRY(Vic) - Wednesday, Jan 25, 2012 at 20:00

Wednesday, Jan 25, 2012 at 20:00
Gday Robin and Anne
You have my deepest sympathies . Keep your chin up. If you need to talk to someone , just call .

Muzbry
Great place to be Mt Blue Rag 27/12/2012

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 751031

Reply By: Member - Doug T (NT) - Wednesday, Jan 25, 2012 at 08:28

Wednesday, Jan 25, 2012 at 08:28
For more Information check these 2 websites.

HERE

AND

HERE

gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 475957

Follow Up By: vk1dx - Wednesday, Jan 25, 2012 at 09:02

Wednesday, Jan 25, 2012 at 09:02
Thanks for the Frontline link Doug. I will keep an eye on it. Even though I rarely visit Facebook this one may be okay.

My father was wounded during one of the 64 bombing raids. He was the pharmacist on the hospital ship Manunda. He was discharged after that and many years later it finally got him. Just before I left school.

I was told once that we had more bombs dropped on Darwin that the yanks had on them at Pearl Harbour.

I don't know if you saw Current Affairs last night but they had a bit on flying the Australian flag. Some know all has researched it and said that those who fly the Australian flag are more likely to be racists. What!!!!. If being proud of this country then I am a racist 100% I just put them on the car again as I usually do for Australia Day and more importantly for me, for ANZAC day. That's a bit personal for Dad. And myself and my mates as I went to Vietnam.

What are some people coming to.

Like I said thanks for the link.

Cheers

Phil
FollowupID: 750970

Follow Up By: Member - Doug T (NT) - Wednesday, Jan 25, 2012 at 18:04

Wednesday, Jan 25, 2012 at 18:04
Phil
Be a racist mate and fly that Flag, I must be one too as I also fly the Flag,
the person that made that statment probably came here recently, hey you should see the patriotism in USA , Flags every where, and as for Multiculturalism, it has never worked since man evolved on this Earth and never will, it's a do-gooder and political thing, makes them feel good.

gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 751012

Sponsored Links