Smelly hot water !!!

Submitted: Wednesday, Jan 25, 2012 at 13:20
ThreadID: 91445 Views:2234 Replies:3 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Hi,
I have a Paramount caravan that's about 3 years old. On our last trip away (Oct-Nov last year) I noticed the hot water has a "rotten egg" smell to start with. This smell persists for a while then clears only to come back again after not using the hws for a couple of days.
Let me eliminate a few things: Water quality doesn't seem to matter, ie same with water in the tank and mains water. Water thru the system and the drinking water filter is fine. I have run water thru the system to flush it out... problem re-appears soon after.

I have used Territory , West Australian, South Australian water and they all result in the same smell !!

The system is a gas/electric Model SW6DEA.

Has anyone experienced this problem and how do you overcome it?

Thanks

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - GeeTee (NT) - Wednesday, Jan 25, 2012 at 13:27

Wednesday, Jan 25, 2012 at 13:27
I forgot to add.... it makes no difference whether the hws is hot or cold... ie. element/gas on or off.

AnswerID: 475973

Reply By: Member - DAZA (QLD) - Wednesday, Jan 25, 2012 at 15:33

Wednesday, Jan 25, 2012 at 15:33
G/Day Gee Tee

Turn the power of to the H/W system.

Take your Anode out and flush the tank out.

Try and shove your hose into the tank through the Anode outlet and give it a good flush.

Then remove the Element and check it.

Either one or the other will be causing the odour.

While doing this leave all the taps off in your van

It is most likely that the Anode will need replacing.

As a plumber I have come across this problem with H/W systems many times.

Cheers

AnswerID: 475984

Follow Up By: Member -Dodger - Wednesday, Jan 25, 2012 at 16:31

Wednesday, Jan 25, 2012 at 16:31
Agree with Daza.
Turn the hot water tap on to relieve any pressure in the tank before removing the anode. Then turn the tap off and force some water into the tank using a hose end until a lot of back pressure is felt then quickly pull the hose out and stand back as the water rushes out. You will find that some white gunky stuff comes out so repeat the process until the tank does not eject any more gunk.
This ensures a good flush of the tank.
This is if you have a sacrificial anode.

I used to have a handle on life, but it broke.

Cheers Dodg.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 751001

Follow Up By: Member - GeeTee (NT) - Wednesday, Jan 25, 2012 at 17:49

Wednesday, Jan 25, 2012 at 17:49
Thanks guys. I will try removing the anode and giving it a good flush out, maybe tomorrow when the wild weather here settles down ! I have replaced it annually but maybe it's time to check. I have a dedicated big socket the correct size in the van toolbox. Will keep you posted as to the result.

Thanks GT

FollowupID: 751007

Follow Up By: Member - GeeTee (NT) - Thursday, Jan 26, 2012 at 14:58

Thursday, Jan 26, 2012 at 14:58
Hi Guys,

Followed your instructions, in between blows and rain squalls here in Darwin this morning.

Seems to have done the trick. Time will tell !!

The anode was not that bad as the pic shows but there was a lot of "white gunk" in the tank. Gave it a good flush and all smells good.

Will post again if the problem persists.

Thanks.

Image Could Not Be Found
FollowupID: 751077

Follow Up By: Member -Dodger - Friday, Jan 27, 2012 at 11:38

Friday, Jan 27, 2012 at 11:38
Great Job.
When I get the anode out I dry it then give it a rub over with a wire brush to completely cleab it.
As said below one must remember to turn the 240v element off before emptying the tank otherwise it goes poof if you have 240 to the van.

The smell is usually generated from the anode reaction to les than perfect water so most times it is an easy fix.

I used to have a handle on life, but it broke.

Cheers Dodg.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 751130

Follow Up By: Member - GeeTee (NT) - Friday, Jan 27, 2012 at 12:48

Friday, Jan 27, 2012 at 12:48
Thanks for that Dodg,

When I pulled the old anode out it was not too bad. I then proceeded to try and clean it with the rotary wire brush on my bench grinder ..... WRONG !!!

Because of the alloy it is made of it is relatively soft and the wire wheel grabbed it and spat it out ...

Trap for the unwary .... use a hand held wire brush ...

GT
FollowupID: 751133

Reply By: dieseltojo - Wednesday, Jan 25, 2012 at 20:41

Wednesday, Jan 25, 2012 at 20:41
Hi GeeTee ,
All good advice there.
And as a precaution make sure the element can't come on with the unit empty. Fill the unit when the job is done and open each tap to get the air out of the lines.
AnswerID: 476010

Sponsored Links