Good old broke NSW

Submitted: Wednesday, Jan 25, 2012 at 17:24
ThreadID: 91454 Views:3823 Replies:6 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Not sure i wan't to run the V8 Petrol Cruiser on E10,..But might have to if prices of the higher grade increase , actually i think both grades will have a price increase,.. fuel is not the sole running cost of a vehicle, but if the vehicle is used everyday, then it does effect the weekly cash flow wether its business owners or wage earners in my opinion.

cheers Axle.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: RobAck - Wednesday, Jan 25, 2012 at 18:06

Wednesday, Jan 25, 2012 at 18:06
This amazing piece of politicial ineptness is limited to NSW thank heavens but I do feel sorry for those inflicted with one of the more strange political decision in Australian history. THere are so many tests of the inefficiency of E10 in regard to the decent increase in fuel consumption that more than offsets the lower cost of the fuel that you would have to say that the fishy smell in NSW politics extends to both sides of the fence with this one

Regards

RobA
AnswerID: 475996

Follow Up By: old mate - Thursday, Jan 26, 2012 at 09:10

Thursday, Jan 26, 2012 at 09:10
Most 91 ULP in Brisbane and SEQ now is E10. No much choice left.
FollowupID: 751055

Reply By: Member - Doug T (NT) - Wednesday, Jan 25, 2012 at 18:19

Wednesday, Jan 25, 2012 at 18:19
E10 won't hurt it, other countries have been using it for years.

Myth Busting the Facts about Ethanol in Petrol

gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 475999

Follow Up By: Ozhumvee - Thursday, Jan 26, 2012 at 09:19

Thursday, Jan 26, 2012 at 09:19
Sorry Doug but many late model vehicles and thousands of older vehicles cannot use E10.
My daughter has a late model (2011) Hyundai Getz and while it will run on it, it is well down on power and after several tank fulls becomes hard to start. As it is under warranty she took it back to the dealer whose first question was "what fuel are you using?" When she said E10 they advised that while it would run on it it wasn't recommended as the starting and power problem would be the result.
After several tanks of normal ULP it was back to normal.
I also had a 1987 vehicle which eventually stopped due to blocked injectors after the E10 dissolved the fuel lines.
Many small engines like Honda's cannot use it either.
FollowupID: 751057

Reply By: Bazooka - Wednesday, Jan 25, 2012 at 20:12

Wednesday, Jan 25, 2012 at 20:12
The few cents difference will be the least of your money worries if the EU and Iran can't come to some sort of compromise Axle.

O'farrell obviously hasn't thought the issue through. He'll have to subsidise petrol retailers along NSW borders because as sure as eggs people who can will buy regular unleaded interstate.
AnswerID: 476006

Follow Up By: Member - Jack - Wednesday, Jan 25, 2012 at 20:47

Wednesday, Jan 25, 2012 at 20:47
O'Farrell did not introduce it, the previous Labor Government did. I wrote a very direct and pointed letter to Keneally pointing out the stupidity of the legislation, esp when done only in one State. I *think* the legislation came with Iemma. However, it amounted to nothing, as one has come to expect from the pointy heads in power.

I remain in disbelief that these fools actually use oxygen.

Jack
The hurrieder I go, the behinder I get. (Lewis Carroll-Alice In Wonderland)

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 751036

Reply By: Keith Berg - Wednesday, Jan 25, 2012 at 20:55

Wednesday, Jan 25, 2012 at 20:55
Axle, On my V8 Landcruiser I get a 7-10% increase in fuel usage with E10 compared with unleaded. But unleaded is only 2% cheaper.
I wonder if anyone has done the numbers on premium unleaded.
AnswerID: 476014

Follow Up By: Pezza QLD - Thursday, Jan 26, 2012 at 21:22

Thursday, Jan 26, 2012 at 21:22
I have, I did the numbers on a 4.8 ltr patrol, same route to and from work every day, 140km daily round trip.
Ignoring the 'extra power' benefits of 95 & 98 and considering fuel usage only then it is worth using the 98 as long as it costs no more than 6.5c/lt more than 91 ULP.
Considering most servo's charge 15c/lt or more for 98 than 91 then from an economy perspective it is definitely not worth it.
My 4.8 now runs LPG, which costs me a little less per km to run than a 3 ltr diesel patrol (the older direct injection series, not the uneconomical common rail ones :-)

Cheers
Pezza
FollowupID: 751106

Reply By: Michael ( Moss Vale NSW) - Thursday, Jan 26, 2012 at 08:50

Thursday, Jan 26, 2012 at 08:50
Rob! I see the logic, oil is a finite resource, Trying to stretch it out and save importing more oil has merits. Its not the extra few cent that it costs to buy Premium if you intend to go that way, that is going to hurt, its the $1.50 a litre already is the impost. There is some talk about coal to liquid and shale oil that is viable now, it would be nice to see someone get into that to keep the oil companies on their toes. If you have been to the USA recently. they are still using petrol at a great rate, with huge utes and petrol guzzlers! It cant last forever and we have past the halfway point of oil usage with no big significant oil finds since the 80's.. I don't think these are alarmist views!! Michael
Patrol 4.2TDi 2003

Retired 2016 and now Out and About!

Somewhere you want to explore ? There is no time like the present.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 476038

Reply By: Member -Hilton Hillbillies - Thursday, Jan 26, 2012 at 15:16

Thursday, Jan 26, 2012 at 15:16
Axle,

I agree with Ozhumvee's comments. My wife has a 2010 Getz 1.6 she has had from new. Not knowing any better when we bought it we used E10 for the first couple of fills, and we thought we had bought a under powered car (it wouldn't pull the skin off a rice pudding). We got a voucher that allowed us to buy 95 octane fuel for the same price as the E10. We noticed the difference straightaway, the car had so much more power which gave us many more miles to the gallon.

You are so right when you say that fuel is not the sole running cost, you will greatly reduce the life of your engine by using E10 in your V8.

They had a segment on Today Tonight last year in which they had trials by motoring experts. It showed that the E10 would have to be 5 to 6 cents cheaper for there to be any advantage on a mileage basis not taking into account the other negatives.
I know this reply has been long winded but the message is: Do your self a big favour and stay away from E10.

Happy travels
Steve
Steve

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 476061

Sponsored Links